Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights at the Hilton

Options
  • 27-10-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

The new traffic layout there will be given a voice at the Fianna Fáil Ard-Fheis next week when I batter Martin Cullen with the nearest handbag to me.

The new layout is a joke. I spent 5 minutes getting from the Union Cross to 200m before the Maternity lastnight at 8pm. Those lights are unnecessary and facilitate nobody but the owners of the Hilton Hotel.

That was probably the only free flowing traffic area into the city but the council have gone and bollocked the whole shabang.

Rant Over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Walked past them today and i was like wtf are they doing there, especially because there are another set of lights 100 yards ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Limerick is traffic light crazy I mean look at all the main routes in the city and none of them seem to be in sync with each other its nuts

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Avoid like the plague. Every morning for the last week people have been warning against the traffic on 95fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Where are the lights? ...... at the old "Jurys" entrance? .....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, the old Jury's (soon to be Hilton hotel) entrance on the Ennis road just before the Maternity Hospital.

A disaster. The City Council must still be getting discounts for buying traffic lights in bulk. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes, the old Jury's (soon to be Hilton hotel) entrance on the Ennis road just before the Maternity Hospital.

Oh Blimey ..... :cool:

there is nothing I can say in reply that would convey a suitable impression of desolation on my part .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A person may be construed to be of unsound mind if they were to take an angle grinder to these things but I reckon it'd be only fair.

The lane reallocation is a balls as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you will find that Limerick City Council will bang up a set (or two or three sets when they can get away with it ) of traffic lights on a whim.

For donkeys years there were cars going every which way direction on the junction of Bedford Row and O'Connell Street. When cars are banned from bedford row they finally stick up a set of lights.

The yellow road has a set on the junction with careys road, and another set outside the peoples park apartments, They can't be mroe than 100 metres from each other.

I think that this time every year whoever makes traffic lights has a sale and Limerick City Council jump in thinking they are getting a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Right its got to be one of us who is selling the lights the the concil I know your out there. It is a huge joke though i mean look at the childers road dunnes exit its like a traffic light farm and what use are they none.

Back on topis though I only noticed the lane relocation last nite talk about stupid now you cant cut down the outside lane to swing down the strand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sioda wrote:
    Back on topis though I only noticed the lane relocation last nite talk about stupid now you cant cut down the outside lane to swing down the strand

That's my biggest problem then the lights!!!

• Advertisement

You don't think someone has been promised easy "Restaurant table reservations" in exchange for the $$$$$$ lights? ..... :rolleyes:

(I'm guessing the primary advantage of the lights is to allow traffic easy access and departure from the hotel? .... :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Playing devils advocate here, but are they also intended to let people out of Bellfield/Farranshone in high traffic times?*Wince*

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well, there's already a hatched area there (which a lot of morons ignore). I hadn't noticed a problem coming out of there, but I don't come down there during peak times.

The change to the traffic also seems to be creating a delay going over the shannon bridge, with people choosing to go that way and turning up at fernhill.

Course, there are loads of people doing this, so it tails back to the shannon bridge roundabout clogging up traffic all over the place.

That roundabout is another pet hate of mine. Damn you people in the left lane if think you'll get past me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Out near the shopping centre in doodadoyle around the lane to nowhere
    they got rid of the traffic lights (not that they worked) outside extravision.

They replaced them with a round about and two zebra crossings with amber flashing lights. (two sets of them about 100 or so yards apart)
    Which are in my opinion dangerous.
    Its almost scary being in a car aproaching the new roundabout near here there
    as the bus lane all of a sudden disappears, the bicycle lane disappears
    your hit by a zebra crossing, a round about, a zebra crossing, and then the bus
    lane suddenly appears again.

on the flip side. When out walking nobody bloody stops when you are
    trying to cross the road!!! at these zebra crossings at least with the traffic lights you could push the button and have a friendly green man help you on your merry way.

Another thing I have found dangerous are these traffic lights where you push
    the button to cross the road and it only ativates the green man for HALF the road.
    Once you get to the tony tiny middle island (in the middle of all the traffic)
    you have to push the button a 2nd time to reach the rest of the way.
    I was so used to the older systems the first time I used it I thought I could walk
    the whole way across the road and was F'ing and blinding when a car nearly
    ran me over shouting watch the feckin lights you ejjit, when it was myself
    being the Goamy.

Industrial estate is a nightmare too at 7/8/9 16:00/17:30/18:30
    if your on foot on on a push bike.

I wonder if we will see 'Paris' popping across the bridge from time to time .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

haha imagine that

I believe she's coming to Dublin in a week or so's time .... :confused:

"Paris Hilton herself will be gracing Brown Thomas on Grafton Street NEXT SATURDAY! to launch her own brand of Perfume"

If only she was doing "Aftershave" .....

Advertisement