Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota avensis gears

Options
  • 28-10-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Can anybody tell me if they've had trouble with Avensis gears?
    I've just bought a 2001 avensis and I'm having trouble going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and back !! Just today I was gearing down from 3rd to 2nd and the damn car was nearly stopped before it would go into gear!!! Its driving me nuts. I've had it back to the garage a few times now but the guy says that its supposed to be that way!!! Somehow I don't believe him! He was going on about some sort of rings in the gearbox and the engine being at the correct speed before the gear would engage......
    Any advice please????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

1 flywheel, 2 clutches and 1 day replacing linkages and cables later we finally got the gearbox in our 2002 Avensis fixed. Almost. It was a pig to change gear, especially to down shift. It is ok now, but still a bit notchy at times. Thankfully toyota paid the bills.

It is a known problem with the avensis, and the clutch seems to be the main culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

monvoy wrote:
    I've just bought a 2001 avensis and I'm having trouble going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and back !! Just today I was gearing down from 3rd to 2nd and the damn car was nearly stopped before it would go into gear!!! Its driving me nuts. I've had it back to the garage a few times now but the guy says that its supposed to be that way!!! Somehow I don't believe him! He was going on about some sort of rings in the gearbox and the engine being at the correct speed before the gear would engage......
    Any advice please????

Whatever the cause may be I do not know, bit it is certainly NOT SUPPOSED to be that way..... what a crock....
    It is is MEANT to be that way, take a new one for a drive, if better, point proven.
    If within warranty, make their life miserable.

Clutch or box or shifter. At a standstill and ideling try putting it into REv. If it grates endlessly, then the clutch is certainly having problems.
    If it slides into reverse without any bother, Then I'd imagine the synchros for those gears are gone bad.

btw, did you check the oil level if OK. No box engages easily if low on oil.

Also if low on oil check for leakage from the bell housing. If the front seal & bearing are gone, then the Synchros do not work properly, even if not worn or damaged. This is an alignment problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if the car's under a dealer warranty, it should be covered, unless it's the clutch - which won't be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

monvoy wrote:
    Any advice please????

As others have said the car should not behave in this way. The story the guy in the garage gave you is bull**** imo.

It needs to be determined if the problem is with the gearbox, gear linkage or the clutch. As Colm said the gearbox and linkage should be covered under the used warranty, a clutch more than likely will not be covered but either way at least you will now where the problem lies.

BTW is it a Toyota main dealer you bought the car from?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monvoy

Thanks for all the info
    Yeah it was main dealer I got it from and they changed the oil in the box or so they said!!! I reackon now that they are just waiting for the warranty to run out and then hit me with a huge list of faults + large bill......not gonna happen though.
    I'm thinking head office might be getting a call soon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

monvoy wrote:
    Thanks for all the info
    Yeah it was main dealer I got it from and they changed the oil in the box or so they said!!! I reackon now that they are just waiting for the warranty to run out and then hit me with a huge list of faults + large bill......not gonna happen though.
    I'm thinking head office might be getting a call soon..

Dont accept that as a fix!

Don't accept any nonsense about clutches and the warranty either. You have just got the car so the defect was present when you picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

monvoy wrote:
    I've had it back to the garage a few times now but the guy says that its supposed to be that way!!!

They usually say "They all do that."

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement