Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating making noise

Options
  • 28-10-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    whenever we turn on the heating, and it's been on for a while, it starts to make a loud vibrating noise.
    The noise seems to come from the wall beside where the heating on-off control is.
    Any ideas as to what this might be and how we might be able to fix it without having to call in somebody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

turn on your taps and see if it goes away. If it does it's a plumbing problem nothing serious and easy to get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Both taps (i.e. Hot and Cold) ? And how long should I let them run for ?

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

deadl0ck wrote:
    Hi all,
    whenever we turn on the heating, and it's been on for a while, it starts to make a loud vibrating noise.
    The noise seems to come from the wall beside where the heating on-off control is.
    Any ideas as to what this might be and how we might be able to fix it without having to call in somebody?
    Oil or Gas ?
    An oil boiler can drone sometimes if it is not set up correctly. If the water circulating pump is in that area, it can also vibrate like that - put your hand on it and it should stop. Then see if 2 pipes are touching, or something that would cause vibration.
    Jim.

It's oil.

It started againb this morning and I ran the hot tap for about 3 minutes and it seemed to stop.

I'll try again, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

deadl0ck wrote:
    It's oil.

It started againb this morning and I ran the hot tap for about 3 minutes and it seemed to stop.

I'll try again, just to be sure.
    Is the boiler running continuously and overheating ? Is the boiler thermostat working ? Does it shut down after a while and start up again after 5 mins or so. Make sure that the boiler thermostat is not turned up high.
    Otherwise check the pump as I said earlier.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Sorry, never updated this...

The noise stops if you run the the hot tap for a few minutes.

How do we get it fixed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is the water scalding from the hot tap? If it it could be that the water in the hot water cylinder is getting too hot. It could also be as JamesM suggested - your boiler stat may be knackered and when you run hot water you automatically introduce cold water into the hot water cylinder which will slightly cool the water in the heating system - temporarily.

To alleviate the problem I'd start by turning down the boiler to maybe half way. Check and see if you have a limit stat attached to the pipework near the boiler - if you do turn it to 70 C.

Advertisement