Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair banning etc etc

Options
  • 28-10-2006 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, now I'll see if feedback works.

A couple of years ago I was banned from christianity due to a long running saga that ended nastily.

After PM consultation with DeVore, who had put the ban in place, I was unbanned by him this year.

I've posted 4-5 times in Christianity, didn't post anything offensive and at one stage have suggested the naysayers make things more theological and less sciencey. To the best of my knowledge I've broken no rules.

However, due to a reported post by a user who said in her reported post that there was nothing wrong with mypost but I was banned for life (which wasn't the case at all), I've been banned.

Now, the person who banned me unbanned me and I haven't done anything else wrong, I'm hoping this is a big misunderstanding and I can be unbanned?

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

PM the mod and explain? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

yeah that would have been cleverer.

Ya know I didn't know how to find out who the mods were until after you posted.

Never been banned from a forum unbeknowst before, so never realised that sometimes users can't figure out who mods.

Anyways, apologies, I've PM'd and hopefully I can resolve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

For me the logic is perfectly simple.

If a lifetime ban currently exists, no action is required on the part of the banned for a mod to reinstate the ban.

If a lifetime ban does not currently exist, particular action is required on the part of the banned for a mod to reinstate any previous ban. In the absence of that particular action, the mere existence of a particular previous lifetime ban is not in itself enough to damn the banned. Where that particular action is taken by the banned the previous existence of a ban may not be relevant given that the action taken is in itself enough for a ban to be instated.

I've seen the reported post and in the absence of a current lifetime ban, assuming that's so, justifying a new ban may break logic. Either way, if there isn't a lifetime ban currently in place, using a lifetime ban as a reason for banning isn't justified. If there is, see statement above.

*cranial explosion*

Anyways: psi, you may want to also PM DeV and ask that he informs the mods of the ban removal when he gets a chance, to clear things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

sceptre wrote:

If a lifetime ban currently exists, no action is required on the part of the banned for a mod to reinstate the ban.

If a lifetime ban does not currently exist, particular action is required on the part of the banned for a mod to reinstate any previous ban. In the absence of that particular action, the mere existence of a particular previous lifetime ban is not in itself enough to damn the banned. Where that particular action is taken by the banned the previous existence of a ban may not be relevant given that the action taken is in itself enough for a ban to be instated.

I've seen the reported post and in the absence of a current lifetime ban, assuming that's so, justifying a new ban may break logic. Either way, if there isn't a lifetime ban currently in place, using a lifetime ban as a reason for banning isn't justified. If there is, see statement above.

Poetry!

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:

Well seeing as DeVore was the person who banned me originally and I am now (or was until about 30 mins ago) unbanned, I guess it is safe to say I'm not meant to be banned.

Do you think ANYONE here would dare overturn DeVore's ban?

Errmmm I just about followed that :)

Karoma wrote:
    *cranial explosion*

Anyways: psi, you may want to also PM DeV and ask that he informs the mods of the ban removal when he gets a chance, to clear things up.

Sure see what the mods say, hopefully it will be cleared up reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

psi wrote:
    Do you think ANYONE here would dare overturn DeVore's ban?
    :D not if they have any sense. Let me know what happens.

Asiaprod wrote:

Thanks. Will do.

Sceptre just made me very confused.:confused: I actually sober too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I think sceptre is the brains behind those insurance letters and clauses.

Sceptre just made me very confused.:confused: I actually sober too.
    Oh dear. Lesbian/Gay/Misc can be found under Soc...

I always knew Sceptre was fine but intelligent too.What a catch?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Asiaprod wrote:
    I'm assuming he is human, so....licking his *** may actually work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

FightThePower.jpg

:)

Just to update, I have been unbanned by the mod in question, who basically acted on heresay of another user.

Appreciate him rectifying his mistake, no hard feelings.

I also want Neuropraxis to know that I forgive her and hold know resentment against her for her malicious intentions and actions towards me.

The system works?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

its just a coincidence...

This may set a bad precedent.

... No. Like all systems: It works for only a small minority.

Use the Help Desk. ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

psi wrote:
    I also want Neuropraxis to know that I forgive her and hold know resentment against her for her malicious intentions and actions towards me.
    That's very Christian of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Karoma wrote:
    Use the Help Desk. ¬_¬
    But then we don't get to add a pointless comment to the thread

sceptre, my head hurts.

Amz wrote:
    That's very Christian of you.

Hopefully it will spread...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

sceptre wrote:

Boards.ie's answer to the Chewbacca defence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

psi wrote:
    Hopefully it will spread...

Well, I for one have been inspired...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

sceptre wrote:

cat_g4_25.jpg

PS, you may make kitty scared, but I for one, after reading that believe love is hate, truth is lies, and we've always been at war with eurasia.

Beruthiel wrote:
    Well, I for one have been inspired...

Well it is good that love and good came from some hateful actions.

I too have been inspired - to spell check my posts so I don't confuse Know and no again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Reporting a post, rightly or wrongly, is not a hateful action. Quit while you're ahead.

Talliesin wrote:
    Reporting a post, rightly or wrongly, is not a hateful action. Quit while you're ahead.

The post wasn't reported actually, if you read it, it quite clearly states in perfectly plain english that there is nothing offensive or wrong about the post and the poster not the post is being reported
    In fact, given the guidelines for using reported posts, the action of using the report post was an abuse of the report post system (as clearly stated).

So ermm, yeah, quit etc etc right back at ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

psi wrote:
    it quite clearly states in perfectly plain english that there is nothing offensive or wrong about the post
    How hateful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I still reckon my post is a perfectly plain and simplistic abstract examination of a particular case. Conclusion follows logically from the initial possible premises. I speakah the english vairy good, I learn it from a book.

Advertisement