Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunting is conservation

• 28-10-2006 3:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Well according to this article from the normally anti-gun BBC hunting has a part to play in conservation.
    Sustainable use and all that kind of thing is slowly dawning on many people,I hope it continues.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6091848.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Gosh!Somthing that was suggested years ago by old Africa hands,and notable personas like the author Wilbur Smith.Finally drip down to the burrocrats,boffins and others.Wonders will never cease.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I was a member of a conservation society that would cull goats and foxes for the national parks in Australia. www.hunt-cons.asn.au

Got a lot of good publicity for shooters as it helped an endangered wallaby to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If it wasn't for the game, pheasants etc that gun clubs release year on year I don't belive there would be much out there. Modern Ireland has little to offer wildlife, years ago all farmers had some oats, grain, spuds etc and game was to be found everywhere. Now all that is around the place is vermin of all kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I think our wildlife is thriving at the moment - despite the move to more intensive farming methods.
    I'm seeing badgers and otters moving into places I haven't seen them for years - and there's no doubt but they're numbers are increasing in my county at least.
    Hares were also around in great numbers for the last few years - seem to be scarce so far this season for some reason?
    I've never seen the likes of the snipe around already - a lot of duck also.
    Deer are being seen wandering the suburbs!
    Just got a mail from a fella this morning that shot a vixen in cub last night :eek:

We must be doing somthing right :D

Advertisement