Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Sleepers

Options
  • 28-10-2006 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi

Need a load of railway sleepers to finish our garden. Finding them pretty expensive in this new county (Kildare) that we are living in. Anyone find them good value elsewhere or down the country. Let me know if you have any tips etc?

Many thanks.
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Theres a place in Santry , Outhouse , they are doing Grade 1 sleepers for €25 each and they are top quality .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Hi Builderwoman

There has been several discussions on sleepers in this board you could do a search. Here is one link for you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007113&referrerid=&highlight=railway+sleeper
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why use crap railway sleepers when you can buy brand new European Pine Sleepers (also Pressure Treated) for about € 30.00 or slightly less.

Size typically 8' 0" x 9" x 4", no oil, creosote, unsightly holes and certainly better looking. Availability is good, try Clonee Sawmills (Clonee), Landscape Depot (Tallaght) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Will check them out.
    Sonnenblumen, any idea on prices for European Pine sleepers>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why use crap railway sleepers when you can buy brand new European Pine Sleepers (also Pressure Treated) for about € 30.00 or slightly less.

Size typically 8' 0" x 9" x 4", no oil, creosote, unsightly holes and certainly better looking. Availability is good, try Clonee Sawmills (Clonee), Landscape Depot (Tallaght) etc

Depending on what look you are going for, some people would prefer the look of aged and preused timber. Personally if I was looking for a new clean look, I wouldn't spec sleepers, I'd go for a more specific timber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bpfc

I also need sleepers to finish work on garden which I had started 3 years ago. I managed, back then, to get sleepers direct from Irish Rail and would dearly like to get more of the same. Unfortunateley they don't sell them anymore. Does anybody know where I can get Irish Rail sleepers?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I think Irish Rail have stopped selling them because there are none left but I may be wrong. Maybe they are not allowed sell them for environmental reasons.

There is a crowd in Naas called Naas Paving and Patio that I bought some from at €21 (hard barganing) earlier this year. Price includes delivery. AFAIK the sleepers come from Poland and they are 5"-6" thick rather than the usual 4". This might not suit if you are trying to match them to ones you have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You are gonna kill me for saying this, but, that quarry inkilmeague have them. Sell them in bales of 20.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bpfc

prospect wrote:
    You are gonna kill me for saying this, but, that quarry inkilmeague have them. Sell them in bales of 20.

P

Are they Irish Rail sleepers? Do you have a name or number I can call. We might be onto something here!

I have details somewhere, but I can't flipping find them. I am trying to find them for builderwoman.

I'll check again this evening.

P

• Advertisement

Thanks Prospect. Try to get me that number if you can and I will hold off buying them until Sat or Mon. Guys coming back Tues to finish off garden so need to get them by then. Many many thanks.

I remember the guys name was Clement Gavin.

Their number is O4 58 77 73 2

They do sleepers, also they do sand / gravel / shale / pebbles / etc.

You may get diverted to a mobile as it is a small operation.

P.

Thanks a mill Prospect. I'm on to it!

Advertisement