Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had a Kedco boiler installed?

• 28-10-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Much the same as the Gerkros thread... I'm wondering if anyone has had a Kedco boiler installed and how they are finding it. We are on the point of signing a contact for one and I'm getting cold feet.:D

If you did, how are you finding it?

If you didn't, why not and what decided you against them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 colmanmc

I have 2 friends in cork with kedco boilers and they are very pleased with them

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I have a scotte dor boiler installed about a month which is nearly identical afaik and am happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hobbie

Has anyone done any sort of comparison of the different pellet boilers on the market - are they all the same or are there diffreences between the different types, I am also looking at a kedco boiler which seems to be priced too reasonably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Folks, any of you that are interested in Kedco boilers, a mate of mine has just taken the franchise for them in Kildare so he can sort you out. Even if it is outside the Kildare county area, he can still refer you. PM me for his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

For anyone who reads German ,the German consumer magazine TEST did a comparison in Aug 2005 . The best were KWB , Paradigma and (Windhager/Viessmann/Gerco ) but its best to get the article , 25% of the marks went for environmental impact.
    PJQ
    I dont know how to get article in Englisch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

At the recent Green Energy Fair in Gowran a German neighbour of my sister's looked at all the pellet boilers there and said that of all them only the Baxi one supplied by Heatmerchants was worth a damn. He isn't an expert, merely a knowledgeable long time home user of them back in Germany. He was referring to build quality in the main. He'd seen a pellet stove being assembled and installed in someone elses house here recently and was horrified by the shoddy workmanship of the stove and niggardly insulation contained within the stove itself.

It's a fecking jungle out there. Whenever I make a decision someone seems to be able to sway me.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the brickie

hobbie wrote:
    Has anyone done any sort of comparison of the different pellet boilers on the market - are they all the same or are there diffreences between the different types, I am also looking at a kedco boiler which seems to be priced too reasonably!

the differences between a cheap wpb and an expensive one are,automation,
    self cleaning,safty!.the cheaper the boiler the more work for you,eg.filling pellets by hand, cleaning out ashes every one to two weeks, lighting by hand with firelighters,having to run the wpb 24/7 with some boilers using up to 450watts on standby and 600 watts on full power.the most important difference
    is safety, some wpbs have a blue plastic pipe filling pellets which, in case of a
    fire in the boiler, melts and stops feeding the fire,others have a sprinkler in
    their auger system to put out fires as an optional extra.i would rather have a
    boiler that would not catch fire.

i put in an ETA wpb.last jan ,it cost €13300 inc installation, commissioning,
    vat and a self feeding system (auger and vacuum pipes) less the €4200 grant.i have still not had to empty ashes,my 24kg ash bin is about 3/4 full.the boiler fills itself automatically, cleans itself automatically and only ignites when the sensor in the house tells it the house has dropped below our chosen temperature.

the boiler is also weather compensating which means it does not turn on
    when the outside temperature is above a temp you chose.my wpb was off from mid may to sept.without me touching it because the weather was so mild my house was as warm as we wanted it ,but if it got suddenly cold the boiler would turn on automatically.
    the hot water tank is heated seperately to whatever temp.we chose ,so we had hot water all summer from the boiler without it having to heat the house,using about 4-5kgs pellets daily.at the moment it is using 18-20kgs.
    daily .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

What is an ETA wpb... is that the brand or the type?

Another question:
    some boilers using up to 450watts on standby and 600 watts on full power

Does this refer to the same amount of watts that the same sized lightbulb would use.

Also you mention the safety aspect... is catching fire a fairly common occurance with them, moreso than oil burners, do you know?

ETA is the brand name of the woodpellet boiler i have.i bought it from evergreen energy.my boiler only uses 143 watts at full power the same as
    a lightbulb and ahalf.the cheaper boilers are cheap because they are just lumps of iron with very little technology,aimed at people who look at price
    over everything but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

ETA is the brand name of the woodpellet boiler i have.i bought it from evergreen energy.my boiler only uses 143 watts at full power the same as
    a lightbulb and ahalf.the cheaper boilers are cheap because they are just lumps of iron with very little technology,aimed at people who look at price
    over everything but you get what you pay for.

Yours sounds like a very good quality WPB with some great features. Do you have a link for more info on it? Manufactures site etc?

Cheers

• Advertisement

the manufacturers website is www.eta.co.at but is not much good unless
    you can speak german.
    the irish agency is evergreen energy.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

Elementary Energy in Corofin, Co.Galway also supply these ETA boilers. www.elementaryenergy.ie
    We got a quote off them for just over 12,000 which includes VAT and installation for the ETA PE 15-25 kW WPB.
    Havent decided which boiler to go with yet...but If we have the cash we will definitely go with this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

There are quiet a few Kedco boilers installed at this stage and there have been no major issues as yet. A properly specified double insulated flu fitted with a draught stabilizer is key to the success and effeciency of the boiler.

The boiler has 100 step modulation, it shuts down completly when needed. It has automatic ignition. The ash pan should be cleaned ever 3/4 weeks and the boiler itself should be cleaned every 2 months. This is a simple procedure.

The price of the boiler is approx €5000 depending on size of the house this includes the 220kg hopper and the augur. Site Analysis and commissoning are included. The price of the flu can be up to €800 depending on positioning.

Include the price of the plumber and you have a working solution for approx €6500.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Chimpster,

Is that price before or after the grant?

Salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I have a dor boiler which is virtually identical to the kedco and would say that is before the grant.

Lastbuilders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

Salmon wrote:
    Chimpster,

Is that price before or after the grant?

Salmon

Basically thats your cost eg €6500 minus the grant €4200.

The other cost that I didnt specify is the ability to store pellets in bulk. This can be done by purchsing a 3.5 tonne silo which will set you back 2K or you can choose to build your own pellet store which makes alot more sense if your a new build and should be able to get it done fairly cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

WPB what you pay for is what you get! Windhager, KWB Paradigma are the best on the market worldwide but you can pay in excess of €15,000 for any of those systems. Kendo are a eastern european boiler not known for quality. it is best to go mid range Italian boilers are a good option quality and manufactrues backup. Gerkros are trying to improve their range and are the most popular because of cost but little market history there is no payback on WPB despite what the sales man says price comparisions done independently have predicted 15 years plus before you make any headway into the captial cost of the boiler. Solar and good insulalation, turn down you oil boiler temp, turn off unneeded rads, close doors, put on a jumper this will reduce CO2 and save you money from day one,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Chimpster wrote:
    Include the price of the plumber and you have a working solution for approx €6500.

Name one plumber in ireland that would install a boiler and flue for €700 and what about an electrics? electrication will charge you atleast €500 for his days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

.my boiler only uses 143 watts at full power the same as
    a lightbulb and ahalf.
    what sort of light bulbs do you use ? most of mine are 11 or 22 watt
    just messing i noticed that the power consumption of a wood pellet stove i'm looking at putting in was 25-100 watt which would have to br factored in a payback calc. im lookng at it cos its my office and i'd like to use greener energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Rathlynin

Has anyone seen the new European style boiler I heard Gerkros have out. It is supposed to be self cleaniing with automatic de-ashing. It is comparable to the ETA,KWB,Windhagers etc but a few grand cheaper....If anyone knows where I can see one let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Has anyone had the boiler clock on the wall reading a crazy temperature like 199c ? Mine has been doing this lately and my plumber ordered up a replacement termostat but that hasn't sorted the issue.

The issue is that the boiler won't run while a temperature like that is been read. I think 60c might be the cut off point.

Anyone experienced similar or any idea's what might be the prob ??

Advertisement