Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which CPU and Graphics card would you go for?

Options
  • 28-10-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I want to upgrade my 3000+ (754) and 6600GT (AGP) to something a little beefier. First off, I’ve decided that I’m going to get a 7600GT. I’m think I’m going to buy this 7600GT 256MB (PCI-E) off Komplett for €160:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318798

That's on problem down - sort of... I noticed that there are cards out there with similar specs, but with some subtle differences. For instance:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=454111

Note the higher GPU speeds on the second card: 580MHz Vs 560MHz. There also seems to be a fairly wide difference in the memory speeds of some cards – though the card from Komplett doesn’t list memory speed specs. Should I be concerned with GPU/ memory speeds?

My real problem is in the CPU department. I’m willing to spend about €160 on a chip (hopefully less). That’s all I know for sure at this stage. However, I’m a bit out of touch with advancements since I bought my 3000+ (dual core waaaah?) and would appreciate some guidance.

So far I think I would buy either a 4000+ (939) for €130 or an AMD Opteron 150 (100 Series) 2.4GHz that would cost about €140:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=118553

Of these two,which would be better for gaming, or are the better options out there (I’m not an AMD fanboy, btw) for below €150?

Initially I was hoping to keep this under €400, but I still have to factor in a motherboard and P&P. Other than performance, value is my major criterion.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Don't worry about the slight difference in specs for the gfx cards.

A lot of the Nvidia cards by different brands come "factory overclocked".

A slight differenc in memory speed or core speed won't make barely a frame of difference in speed.

Buy the best generic card you can buy and save your pennies for parts that will make a much bigger difference to overall performance like more ram or a better cpu.

Regarding the CPU: I'm not an overclocker, but chances are the opteron will be a better choice if you intend to overclock.

You might be better off waiting a while,save more money and get a full new rig altogether.

Price the differences between a cheap 939 upgrade Vs a full Intel core2duo or AM2 upgrade.

I think longterm you are better off waiting a little and spending more: gives you more options for upgrading long term.

939 is coming off the market and chances are any cpu you put in will be the last you can find easily.

EDIT: consider an AMD 3700+ as opposed to a 4000+. Pretty much the same performance, and if you need to you can clock easily up to 4000+ speeds.

Did a quick price check on komplett.

AMD 3700+ €89.95
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309484&s=sc

Bog gigabyte nforce 4 board. €79
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307571&s=sc

point of view 7600GT €159.01
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318798&s=sc

total ex shipping: €327.96

add a €10 for shipping.

Switch the 3700+ for a dual core 4600+ the price goes up to €508 ex shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Im assuming u want to keep ur ram... the fact its ddr means u gotta stick with S939...

If so...

AMD X2 3800 €174

Asus A8nSLI
    €115

And the 7600gt

Comes to €450.. U should be easily able to overclock the 3800to FX60 speeds with the asus mobo(had one myself n it clocked easily)

U can then also add a second 7600gt in sli down the line if needs be.. or add an extra €50 n get a 7900gs....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I like uberpixie's suggestion. €330 sounds about right. I'm currently of the opinion that the €150 (I'm including P&P from two separate suppliers here) extra I woulld spend on unklerosco's suggestion may be a little out of my range.

I'm mostly concerned about the graphics card and not the CPU as such. I'm going to need to upgrade to S939 for the 7600GT, and I'll be happy to do this as cheaply as possible. If i get a year and a half out of the 3700+/ 7600gt I'd be happy.

Possibly what I really should have asked from the outset was: If you had €350 to spend on a CPU, graphics card and mobo, what would you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I like uberpixie's suggestion. €330 sounds about right. I'm currently of the opinion that the €150 (I'm including P&P from two separate suppliers here) extra I woulld spend on unklerosco's suggestion may be a little out of my range.

I'm mostly concerned about the graphics card and not the CPU as such. I'm going to need to upgrade to S939 for the 7600GT, and I'll be happy to do this as cheaply as possible. If i get a year and a half out of the 3700+/ 7600gt I'd be happy.

Possibly what I really should have asked from the outset was: If you had €350 to spend on a CPU, graphics card and mobo, what would you choose?

I would keep unklerosco's suuggestion of mobo in mind.

The gigabyte is ok, I used a similar mobo for a friends build and it worked out ok.

The asus does give you the option of sli and it is meant to be a great mobo. (also the gigabyte is nolonger listed on komplett!)

You do have another option of getting an X1950 Pro when it comes out in AGP, Powercolour have on listed on their main website. Single slot card with an artic cooler, nice....
    (circa €250 when it comes out)

(I'm stuck in AGP land as well at the moment, and I would be very tempted to buy it if I wasn't on a 240W PSU in my shuttle box, I am pretty much stretching it as it is :D)

But I do think getting a 939 mobo + new CPU + new gfx is the way to go.

you do need the CPU to feed a new gfx card properly and the 3700+ is a nice speed bump over a 3000+.

I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of dual core: by the time you require a dual core, you will need a new machine:D.

You should get a good year and a half out of what you are thinking of getting.

Thanks uberpixie, encouraging advice. I may go for your CPU suggestion combined with unklerosco's mobo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You sure you want to go with a S939 board? AFAIK they're not going to make any more CPUs for that socket - the big "LAST STOCK!" warnings on half of them on Komplett doesn't look good :(

If I were you, I'd save up for an AM2 or LGA775 board, DDR2 RAM, etc - at least there's a chance of new processors being available for them in about 2 years time. Or maybe even wait for the dx10 graphics cards - then again it could be a while before there's any reasonably priced ones around.

I’ve already ordered the parts – including the 3700+ CPU (S939). My reasoning is that I really can’t see the advantage of dual core over single core chips (I’m comparing price to performance and what i believe i will need) for games at the moment. As for DX10, well, the chances are that I would be unwilling/ unable to afford any decent card when they first come out. I’m hoping that my 3700+ and 7600GT will do about a year and a half. At that stage I’ll buy some other nearly outdated CPU and GPU combo :)

Thnaks for the advice, all!

Advertisement