Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 207 GT Vs new Civic

Options
  • 28-10-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on either the new Peug. 207 GT Turbo (it uses a slightly less powerful version of the same BMW designed engine in the new Mini) or the 1.8 litre version of the new Honda Civic. I'm not too bothered by the styling of either car - I want something fun to drive but in the 25K price range. Here's my take on the pros and cons:

Peugeot 207 GT
    Pros:
    Plenty of torque, excellent spec for the money (24K), good fuel economy, ride and handling appear to be good
    Cons:
    Possible reliability problems, depreciation?

Civic 1.8 Sport

Pros:
    Reliability, cool interior, won't depreciate as much as a Pug?
    Cons:
    Lesser torque than the pug, price (26K), spec not great for the money

How about other cars in this price range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

If I was spending 25k on somethig fun to drive, it's have to be this. Yes, I know it only has two seats, and a small boot, not the quickest car, but it's just so fun to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's fine as a second car, but only having two seats is a serious disadvantage in any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 207 is in a smaller class than the Civic. The Peug 307 is closer in size to the Civic.

To be honest it is probably not fair either to compare a turbo charged engine against a normally aspired engine.

Anan1 wrote:
    That's fine as a second car, but only having two seats is a serious disadvantage in any car.

Don't want to go too far off topic, but, I drive a Smart Roadster and don't find it a serious disadvantage. I agree it can sometimes be a disadvantage, but why do you see it as a serious disadvantage?

bennyx_o wrote:
    Don't want to go too far off topic, but, I drive a Smart Roadster and don't find it a serious disadvantage. I agree it can sometimes be a disadvantage, but why do you see it as a serious disadvantage?
    Without meaning to be smart, because one can never fit more than two people in the car! I wouldn't often have someone in the back, but I'd do it perhaps once a week. Not to be able to do this ever would be a serious disadvantage for me.

• Advertisement

True. Don't usually carry a passenger in the back, so it doesn't really affect me. One of the reasons I got the car was so I wouldn't be ferrying people around.

Well I suppose that's another way of looking at it! Nice car, BTW. Are they as good to drive as people say?

Yes, the handlings brilliant, the gearbox isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It may not be fast, but it feels alot faster, probably because it's pretty low. Spec isn't the worst either, especially on the Brabus Xclusive I posted, heated leather seats, push button starter on the gear stick, 101bhp. But as you said, it's if you can live with the two seats, which thankfully, I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

Anan1 wrote:
    Without meaning to be smart, because one can never fit more than two people in the car! I wouldn't often have someone in the back, but I'd do it perhaps once a week. Not to be able to do this ever would be a serious disadvantage for me.

I drive a roadster coupe brabus xclusive, and it is great fun. My girlfriend has a four seater car, so if we ever need more seats then she drives, but most of the time the two seats are enough. There is also enough storage space available, I can get my laptop and gym bag into the front boot, and believe it or not, I can get a set of golf clubs into the rear boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anan1 wrote:

I manage just fine with 2 seats :D

I'd go for the 207 GT, purely because it's French and has character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

There was a Smart ForFour Brabus on CBG or Carzone a while back for less than €25k. I thought it was very nice, and quick apparantly. Just an alternative...

Can get a Pre-reg 06 one for £10k in the UK Now. Bargain. They're quick and handle well, and have good spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

bennyx_o wrote:
    Can get a Pre-reg 06 one for £10k in the UK Now. Bargain. They're quick and handle well, and have good spec.

Here beeny are you talking about a brabus smart four four for 10k or pug 206 gt.

if its the brabus please post links, thats been on my list for ages for 2cd motor run around as autotrader only has 05 for £10k

Hmm, they're not there anymore. There was about three or four on the UK for £10k. Must've been put on in error or sold. Theres an 05 one here for £11,490.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mloc123 wrote:
    I'd go for the 207 GT, purely because it's French and has character.

Character = bits falling off, dodgy electrics, spontaneous fires etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

JHMEG wrote:
    Character = bits falling off, dodgy electrics, spontaneous fires etc etc

:rolleyes:

Advertisement