Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting - Club championships

Options
  • 28-10-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

All prices are from ladbrokes - only single bets can be placed online because of a technical problem wherein they are scared of taking dependent bets!

Munster Club Football:
    Dr. Crokes - Kerry 2/1
    Gooch Cooper's team, their only serious competitiors will be the Cork champions (probably Nemo), it'll be a toss up, but 2/1 is a decent price.

Connaught Club Football:
    Crossmolina 6/4
    Kieran McDonald amongst others backbones Cross, they must win tomorrow in the Mayo final - if they lose, that's it, they're out. Again Connaught is a toss up between themselves and Corofin, they're scheduled to meet in the final, in a Mayo venue, they should have the class to come through.

Munster Club Hurling:
    Toomevara 9/4
    They will play Mt Sion in the munster semi in thurles, the winners should take the title as the Cork/Lim/Clare teams don't look good enough. I fancy Toomevara to repeat their success of 2 yrs ago where they beat Mt. Sion in the Munster final, as Mt Sion may well be weaker than then.

Leinster Club Hurling:
    Ballyhale 2/1
    Henry Shefflin's side (world's best hurler!!), they play in the Kilkenny final tomorrow, that should be their toughest test in Leinster, they're certainly not guaranteed to come through it, but if they do, that 2/1 will go to odds on. The main opposition in Rathnure and Birr have both seen better days and Kilkenny teams have now taken the last 3 Leinster club championships.

Ulster Club Football:
    Ballinderry 9/2
    Derry champions and All Ireland Champions in 2002, this is their first time to win the notoriously difficult Derry club championship, and they have won all 19 games they've played in league and championship this year. Again it won't be easy, but they're decent value.

Best Bets:
    Ballyhale All Ireland hurling 6/1 (if they win tomorrow, they'll be 9/4), equally they could be gone tomorrow, but this looks like a big price to me.
    Dr. Crokes All Ireland Football 12/1, munster have the luck of the draw as the winners will play the Leinster champions and it lucks pretty weak to me.

I would suggest some combination of trebles and an accum:
    Ballyhale - Leinster Hurling 2/1
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1
    Crossmolina - Connaught Football 6/4
    Toomevara - Munster Hurling 9/4

Or for better odds - Doubles and a treble:
    Ballyhale - All Ireland hurling 6/1
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1
    Ballinderry - Ulster Football 9/2

Note: there are a number of dependencies in some of the combinations, but I am not going to explain them all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Main GAA bet tomorrow is Wolfe Tones (Meath) 1/2 to beat st. Josephs (louth) in Leinster Club Champo

Tones on a role and are taking this v.serious, have came up from junior ranks in three years to beat Navan O'May; whereas the are Joes bottom of their senior league in Louth and quite possibly still on the beer as said from local resources after winnin the champo as BIG BIG outsiders...

Have gone large on this one..

Heres to Hoping...:cool: :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

As someone from Killarney and pretty familiar with the Crokes 2/1 doesn't strike me as a great price for them the Munster Club Championship this year.

However alongside Gooch and Eoin Brosnan on the Kerry team, they also have the sub Kerry keeper Ciaran Cremin as well as a number of younger players who have been on the Kerry minors / would be just outside the Kerry squad.

I'm would be more inclined to place a bet on them for the Munster Club Championship and All-Ireland Club Championship at the start of next year, not a huge stake and dependant on the odds on offer of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Hi Memento,
    appreciate the comments, local info always welcome!! My point is that themselves or Nemo should take Munster, and at 2/1 that's not a bad price imo.
    Good call too thewools, Tones won easy in the end i heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Imo corrofin will win the connacht if not the all ireland football I think they are 5-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Further info re Crokes

Was talking to the da - reminded me that although they still have the Kerry county final to play, they are already Kerry's representative in the Munster Championship as they are playing a divisionsal side in the final. Makes their odds much better value. Also Gooch was back to his best the last day and the goal he scored from play was apparently worth the price of admission alone.

• Advertisement

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Munster Club Football:
    Dr. Crokes - Kerry 2/1
    New price 5/2 - Nemo won Cork so presumably thats the reason.
    Connaught Club Football:
    Crossmolina 6/4
    New price 8/5, weren't impressive in winning Mayo, but they're still there.

Munster Club Hurling:
    Toomevara 9/4
    New Price 5/2, have progressed to the Mt. Sion game, still a toss up
    Leinster Club Hurling:
    Ballyhale 2/1
    New price 8/15 - this was always going to be the big mover if they won Kilkenny, as they done that, there's no value there really at 8/15.
    Ulster Club Football:
    Ballinderry 9/2
    New price - 5/1, drifted slightly because perennial All Ireland winners Crossmaglen won impressively enough in Ulster preliminary round. I'm off to see these guys on Sunday and I'll be expecting a home win. Still a big price.

Best Bets:
    Ballyhale All Ireland hurling 6/1 (if they win tomorrow, they'll be 9/4) - I was a little wrong here, they're actually 5/2Dr. Crokes All Ireland Football 12/1, munster have the luck of the draw as the winners will play the Leinster champions and it lucks pretty weak to me. Crokes have shortened to 10/1 for the All Ireland.

Ballyhale - Leinster Hurling 2/1 - Now 8/15
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1 - Now 5/2
    Crossmolina - Connaught Football 6/4 - Now 8/5
    Toomevara - Munster Hurling 9/4 - Now 5/2

Ballyhale - All Ireland hurling 6/1 - Now 5/2
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1 - Now 5/2
    Ballinderry - Ulster Football 9/2 - Now 5/1
    QUOTE]

Crossmolina beaten in Connaught, i had my reservations about them after watching them play in the Mayo final, but the bets were on at that time.
    Still Ballinderry were extremely impressive in Ulster last weekend and are now 5/2 for Ulster and 15/2 for All Ireland.

Bet of this weekend appears to be Rhode at 9/5 to beat UCD, there are many subplots here, not least that UCD's best player in Dublin is playing for Rhode today (ridiculous situation, but enough about that). That will be a big factor, as will the fact that UCD may also be missing several other county stars.

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Ballyhale - Leinster Hurling 2/1 - Won:)
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1 - Currently 1/8
    Crossmolina - Connaught Football 6/4 - Lost:mad:
    Toomevara - Munster Hurling 9/4 - Currently 8/11 - tight game next, but I still fancy them to come through.
    Ballyhale - All Ireland hurling 6/1 - Currently 10/11 - imperious thusfar
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1 - Currently 1/8 finalists
    Ballinderry - Ulster Football 9/2 - Currently EV finalists - toss up of a game, but I think they're a good price at evs next sunday.

Just a quick update - most of the selections are still running well and I for one would be quite a happy little camper if I could just get Ballinderry to complete their early good work in Ulster for me, thusfar they've been the best team in the competition, but the bookies have selected the less impressive Crossmaglen as favourites, Cross have 3 All Ireland titles, however Ballinderry have also won an All Ireland, and more recently then Cross - so go figure? I'm loathe to tip Ballinderry too strongly as I don't like jinxing these things (certainly don't want to jeopardise this one!), but I fancy them to go all the way to All Ireland glory - and 4/1 can still be got for that (I have the 20/1 available early doors). tbh whoever wins the Ulster final should probably take the whole thing.
    Ballyhale have come through Leinster in a canter, they're 10/11 for the All Ireland now, they have looked the part so far, the only thing we can't predict is February weather conditions, and if conditions are ****, they could bow out - 10/11 is probably a bit short - until now they've played no-one and have to still take on either the Tipp/Cork champions and then the Galway champions in the final.
    All in all, encouraging so far, a Ballinderry win next Sunday would see Glenbhoy have a happy christmas (well, at least his big bet would still be running until feb!) so here's hoping!!

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Bet of this weekend appears to be Rhode at 9/5 to beat UCD:)
    Just about sneaked home, but a win's a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Just about sneaked home, but a win's a win!
    Great stuff Glenbhoy, nice price as well. Looks like you'll make yourself a nice wee profit frojm your ante-post bets. Pighead will be cheering on Ballinderry for ya!

• Advertisement

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Best Bets:
    Ballyhale All Ireland hurling 6/1 (if they win tomorrow, they'll be 9/4) Now 8/11 Dr. Crokes All Ireland Football 12/1, munster have the luck of the draw as the winners will play the Leinster champions and it lucks pretty weak to me. Crokes have shortened to 11/8 for the All Ireland.

Ballyhale - Leinster Hurling 2/1 - :)
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1 - :)
    Crossmolina - Connaught Football 6/4 - :mad:
    Toomevara - Munster Hurling 9/4 - :)

Ballyhale - All Ireland hurling 6/1 - Now 8/11
    Dr. Crokes - Munster Football 2/1 - :)
    Ballinderry - Ulster Football 9/2 - :mad:
    QUOTE]
    Well Ballinderry didn't do the business for me, but overall showing a nice profit at this stage, I still have a nice ante-post double on Ballyhale and Dr. Crokes at 6/1 and 12/1 (both half odds each way), so if both can even make the final at this stage I'll be on a 4 figure winner. Easier said than done though, I was not overly impressed by Crokes today, and again, feck knows what the weather will be like come february, bad conditions would not suit them, nor Ballyhale. Here's hoping for a heatwave!!

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Best Bets:
    Ballyhale All Ireland hurling 6/1 (if they win tomorrow, they'll be 9/4), equally they could be gone tomorrow, but this looks like a big price to me.
    Dr. Crokes All Ireland Football 12/1, munster have the luck of the draw as the winners will play the Leinster champions and it lucks pretty weak to me.
    And finally the ew part of the double comes in for me!! It's a very nice earner, unfortunately I don't think both will come good and actually win the thing, Ballyhale will win easily, but I don't know about Crokes, fortunately it doesn't matter that much anymore, the ew part of the double paid out at 34/1 which is nice no matter what stakes are on, the win double is 90/1, it would be a great day for me if both win, but i've taken a lot already and can't be too greedy.

Advertisement