Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery Magazine

Options
  • 28-10-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Can any of you remember between 1988-90 there was a fortnightly copy of something called Discovery??? It consisted of magazines and fact sheets to do with whatever historical character was relevent. For example issue 1 was all about Queen Elizabeth the first and because she was in power during the spanish armada there was a cardboard model of a 16th century warship to build!!! (Not to full scale obviously :D) There were 60 issues printed in total. I collected almost every issue back in the day. Just wondering if any of you can remember 'Discovery'

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Yeah, I collected them too. I think I still have 'em somewhere.
    I rememeber one on Guy Fawkes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I got a few of them and remember I used to be terrifed of the ad, it had Queen Victoria(I think?) shouting at someone. All I can remember is the ad saying "Her black teeth!" or something. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The_Edge wrote:
    Yeah, I collected them too. I think I still have 'em somewhere.
    I rememeber one on Guy Fawkes too.

Brilliant, yeah Guy Fawkes was the 2nd edition. If I remember correctly there was a boardgame with it called 'The Gunpowder Plot' I can also remember the ad for the magazine, the hook line was 'History at your fingertips'

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rubberneck

there was a free cassette too with 2 kids going thru history which at the time i thought was the coolest thing ever. got a few issues including the one where you get to build a wooden tower for attacking castle walls and also build the globe theatre(shakespeare issue). then i changed to Quest, the science magazine which was also done by marshell cavendish and collected all 52 issues. the hassle of harrassing the newsagents to get all issues for 2 yrs was a nightmare with the fear of missing an issue. these were the days before ebay and online purchases.

the tag was:

"travel back in time and bring the past to life"

happy daze...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I used to love these magazines. In fact I still have the whole collection in my room. They actually made history fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 rubberneck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I got the first edition as well many years ago

Advertisement