Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

p5wdh, power but no display

Options
  • 28-10-2006 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

hi,
    i have a p5w dh deluex motherboard i ordered from ocuk it was working fine
    i updated to bios version 1503 and restarted and everything seemed fine
    the next time i went to do a cold boot it powered up(cpu fan, gpu fan ect all working) but i get no display and no keyboard lights.
    my case has no system speaker so i cant tell if it beeps
    i reset the cmos bios by taking out the battery and using the jumper, but no change
    i really dont know what to do, any advice would be great.

full system
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
    NZXT Lexa Classic Series Ultra light Aluminum Midtower
    Samsung SH-S182D 18x18 DVD±RW ReWriter (Black)
    Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
    Enermax Noisetaker 485W EG495AX-VE(G) SFMA ATX2.0 PSU
    Scythe Ninja Plus Heatpipe CPU Cooler (Socket 478, 754, 939, 940, LGA755)
    G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i left the pc off for about 30 mins and its working again, weird
    it says i have to enter setup so i do.
    when i save settings and reboot it stops working again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well this is rather obvious tbh. your psu is not up to the job. It is reccomended you have at least a 600W+ psu for what you have. tripple 12v is also reccomended.

Simply put get a 600W+ psu. I have ordered a very similar system to yours, and i have got a 800W psu.

I am 100% sure this is your problem, If you need the pc urgently, dissconnect all other removable media, apart from your main hdd.

Btw your 1800xt takes 180W power on boot/peak. cpu about 80. well if you work it out, you know what i mean :)

Also depending on your case, you could fit a second power supply, and short it. This would help if you dont have the money for a new psu. there are many articles about this on the internets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

tuxy wrote:
    hi,
    i have a p5w dh deluex motherboard i ordered from ocuk it was working fine
    ^
    |
    |
    How long between these two points?
    |
    |
    -
    tuxy wrote:
    i updated to bios version 1503 and restarted and everything seemed fine
    the next time i went to do a cold boot it powered up(cpu fan, gpu fan ect all working) but i get no display and no keyboard lights.

If it was running ok under load beforehand, I doubt it's a power consumption issue.
    180W (gpu) + 90W (cpu) +30W (mobo+ram) + 12W (hdd) + 20W (fans, misc) ~=330W.
    The individual rail capacities might be something to look at to make sure, but I'd say your PSU should be ok.
    Have you checked the Asus forums or the release notes for the bios?
    Sounds like the board is trying to recover from a failsafe config, have you fiddled with stuff to underclock everything and get a stable cold boot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well i left the pc off for an hour and it was stable enough to flash it back to an older bios
    The new bios was a beta and ment to fix a slow cold boot problem and i had read reports on differnt forums of people using it with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So after going back to the older BIOS it's now stable again?
    If so, I'd suggest waiting till a new RC or Stable BIOS is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I have a very similar setup, and it works fine with an Enermax 500w.

The 'cold boot' issue only happens if you're overclocking the CPU (pressing 'restart' will cut power to everything, instead of soft booting).
    I don't have a problem with this, but some people think it might damage their hard drives if power is suddenly cut off.

Just stick with the working BIOS, I'm using 1401 and it's rock stable @ 3.2Ghz

Advertisement