Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog dilemma

Options
  • 28-10-2006 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi. I have a seven year old German Shepard.I will be moving soon to a house with no garden.She has been offered a good home in the country but I'm afraid that she will pine for us. My dilemma is knowing whether she would be happier at this stage of her life to stay cooped up in a house all day with the people she loves or running around in Wicklow without us. Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Will there be a small yard or garden area she can be let out for a pee etc?
    If she had regular walks I don't see the problem, she probably has a routine already with you that she is used to and could adjust to a new routine.
    The home in Wicklow sounds good but only if she's not being let run free and unsupervised.
    However it is possible to have a dog if you don't have a garden, it does take time and strict routine but it is do-able.
    Our first dog was very active, we had a small yard just big enough for her to pee and poop in, no front garden but she had a great life, she went everywhere with me and we went for long walks, met up with other dog owners with their dogs etc and she was perfectly happy despite not having a garden.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I agree with ^^^ and I'd say that if you had a large green area near your new house where you could take your dog at least once a day, that would be fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Would it be possible to bring her with you to your new home for a two or three month trial period? Generally bitches move and adjust fairly easily as long as they have their "people" with them, I've moved home several times with my dogs (Shepherd bitchs and Doberman dog) and find my bitches adjust more quickly than the dogs, provided you continue to walk them and spend time with them, also make sure she has many familiar things (toys/blankets etc.) around her in her new home, Shepherds are extremely intelligent dogs and adapt to new surroundings quickly, just try to make sure she won't get bored too quickly and gets enough regular excerise. The change won't be too bad for her if she's still got you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I think dogs never really get over being given to a different owner. I think you should keep the dog - it will adapt to a new house better than a new owner. :)

Advertisement