Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chanel bags

• 28-10-2006 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

i want one, more than anything. i've accepted that it may have to be a fake, since i'm poor student scum. anywhere around dublin/ or online [uk maybe?] that does some fantastic lookalikes or bargainous ones?

cheers lovies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

don't buy fakes, save your money to get the real deal or just buy a not so expensive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Why Chanel specifically? You say you are a student, much too young for a Chanel bag imo, a label traditionally for the much older woman. Have you your eye on one Chanel bag in particular or do you just want a good designer bag? If it's the latter I can think of tonnes of other designers whose bags are better quality, cheaper and more suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

You see lots of girls with Chanel bags at college. Its just a status thing. She wants Chanel for the brand name and because it's in.

To answer to original question: You could buy a fake off eBay for cheap or go to Brown Thomas (or Arnott's too I'd say) and drop a grand on one (use your student bank account).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

A grand wouldn't put a dent in the price of a decent Chanel bag - some of the wallets alone would come to a grand. I'd imagine it's one of the Ligne Cambon bags that she's after, probably the pink quilted with the black C's on it as those are the most widely faked and toted by young girls.

You won't get a good fake in Ireland, hell you'll hardly get a good fake in Europe. You need to find somebody going to Bangkok or New York, or else buy a fake online.

I guess all that product placement on the OC really worked out for Chanel (especially given her username) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

On Henry Street, the liitle street just beside the o2 Experience Store, the "pram people" have some Chanel knock offs. Not too shabby at all. Bought two myself. A big white one and a smallish bucket shaped black quilt with white C's on it. Big one was €40, smaller was €30.

• Advertisement

Why don't people who buy fake designer stuff just get a real non top label bag? I would prefer to do that ( not a handbag obviously) than support this snide industry. If you really want something save up for it, don't spend as much going out etc and it would be worth it when you have your genuine item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Not really aggrement with you there Colm. My sister has a number of fake designer bags. They are all really good fakes. Her reason is that she likes the design of the bag but would never pay the ridiculous prices that are charged for them. I know myself if I sepnt that kind of money on a bag I'd be really worried about it. I made the mistake of wearing a Ralph Lauren sweater to Barcode during the summer. I'm sure the logo was like a red rag to a bull for the the kind of knackers that go there. It cost me $35 in a Ralph Lauren store in the states, the same sweater costs €115 in Brown Thomas. Is it any wonder people don't want to pay crazy prices here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sheera

Umaro wrote:
    You see lots of girls with Chanel bags at college. Its just a status thing. She wants Chanel for the brand name and because it's in.

That is so presumptuous! Do you actually know this girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry Sheera, but she practically said the same thing herself, so you can't blame Umaro for saying it. Every girl with a laptop bag in UCD at the moment seems to have one of those hideous quilted bags. I don't get it, they look so ugly in my opinion. But they're in vogue with lots of the students in college.

Ebay might be a good idea, just make sure it's a worldwide search.

FX Meister wrote:
    Not really aggrement with you there Colm. My sister has a number of fake designer bags. They are all really good fakes. Her reason is that she likes the design of the bag but would never pay the ridiculous prices that are charged for them. I know myself if I sepnt that kind of money on a bag I'd be really worried about it. I made the mistake of wearing a Ralph Lauren sweater to Barcode during the summer. I'm sure the logo was like a red rag to a bull for the the kind of knackers that go there. It cost me $35 in a Ralph Lauren store in the states, the same sweater costs €115 in Brown Thomas. Is it any wonder people don't want to pay crazy prices here in Ireland.
    I am in total disagreement, you could get something nice and not fake rather than buying a fake designer. I can't see why you would prefer a snide. I know stuff can be expensive in Ireland but there are sales and good online stores, don't support the snide trade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I am in total disagreement, you could get something nice and not fake rather than buying a fake designer. I can't see why you would prefer a snide. I know stuff can be expensive in Ireland but there are sales and good online stores, don't support the snide trade.

Yes, but that is not the issue here. The OP wants a Chanel bag, and I doubt she's going to change her mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you're not going abroad, Ebay is the best option IMO.
    There were excellent fakes in Turkey when I there last year. The 'authentic fakes' as they called them were still quite expensive, up to e100.
    The less realistic looking ones were a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:rolleyes:
    FX Meister wrote:
    Her reason is that she likes the design of the bag

stovelid wrote:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Fakes ain't cheap either. I've seen some on eBay go up to €300 - €400 and they are total fake. After seeing the price of fakes, I just went ahead and spent that bit extra on the real thing. I've one very expensive bag (a Christian Dior) and I saved up a few months for it. I haven't seen anyone else with one, which makes mine all the more special. It was worth the saving, because it's just amazing. If you really want one, just save up. If the Chanel bag is the one I think you are talking about, I wouldn't be bothered. (kinda bucket-y shaped, black quiltedy with the two white Cs on it - it's on the Chanel window in BT). They are as common as muck. At least get one that's different to what every stereotypical person is getting.

Faith wrote:
    Yes, but that is not the issue here. The OP wants a Chanel bag, and I doubt she's going to change her mind.
    That is fine, buy a chanel bag then. A fake is not a chanel bag.

tinkerbell wrote:
    I just went ahead and spent that bit extra on the real thing. I've one very expensive bag (a Christian Dior) and I saved up a few months for it. I haven't seen anyone else with one, which makes mine all the more special. It was worth the saving, because it's just amazing. If you really want one, just save up.
    Spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Not everyone is rich enough to blow a few hundred on a bag they want. Paying a few hundred less for something that is the exact same without the BT label on it seems sensible to me. Can you tell the difference between someone walking down the road with a decent fake and the real thing? Does it really matter that much to you that people don't want to pay over the odds when they can get an identical thing for a fraction of the price?

That is fine, buy a chanel bag then. A fake is not a chanel bag.

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse, or you just don't understand the problem. The differerence between a fake and a genuine designer bag could be up to €1000. The OP clearly stated that she's a student and doesn't have much disposable cash. The bag is not like a car, it's not a long-term item. Therefore, it would be much more economical if she bought a fake and got bored of it in 6 months, than buying a genuine bag for about €1000 and got bored of it in 6 months.

Faith wrote:
    I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse, or you just don't understand the problem. The differerence between a fake and a genuine designer bag could be up to €1000. The OP clearly stated that she's a student and doesn't have much disposable cash. The bag is not like a car, it's not a long-term item. Therefore, it would be much more economical if she bought a fake and got bored of it in 6 months, than buying a genuine bag for about €1000 and got bored of it in 6 months.
    I completely comprehend what is being said, but there is no point in buying fakes! I imagine this person wants chanel due to brand image along with quality ( being a guy i know nothing about handbags) now if I saw someone with a snide I would not be thinking a positive image. If you can't afford the real thing buy a non designer bag, don't buy snides it is a complete waste.

• Advertisement

LadyLotts wrote:
    Not everyone is rich enough to blow a few hundred on a bag they want. Paying a few hundred less for something that is the exact same without the BT label on it seems sensible to me. Can you tell the difference between someone walking down the road with a decent fake and the real thing? Does it really matter that much to you that people don't want to pay over the odds when they can get an identical thing for a fraction of the price?
    The thing is not going to be identical! The quality is going to be nowhere near the real thing. Don't support these scammers, if you can't afford the real thing get a non designer item. Fakes send out the worst image, don't buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

tinkerbell wrote:
    I've one very expensive bag (a Christian Dior)

Pics please?just interested in which one you bought as im thinking of doing the same thing and buying a real dior instead of a fake.

I completely comprehend what is being said, but there is no point in buying fakes! I imagine this person wants chanel due to brand image along with quality ( being a guy i know nothing about handbags) now if I saw someone with a snide I would not be thinking a positive image. If you can't afford the real thing buy a non designer bag, don't buy snides it is a complete waste.

I guarantee you it's not the quality that she's after! She's a student, therefore probably in the 18-22 age group. She just wants it for superficial reasons. It'll go out of fashion in a few months and will be thrown into a drawer somewhere.

Many fakes are quite indistinguishable from the real thing to the untrained eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

you would be out of your tree to pay for a real one just go on ebay and get one - the ones from hong kong are the best they are experts at teh fake designer stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

The thing is not going to be identical! The quality is going to be nowhere near the real thing. Don't support these scammers, if you can't afford the real thing get a non designer item. Fakes send out the worst image, don't buy them.

dont know if you guys remember but there was a show on a few yrs ago where jennifer ellison went to china she took lots of pics of designer suits and had them made up for her - the chinese are fantastic at it

colm-ccfc84 doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. It is not a complete waste. If anything then spending crazy anounts of money on the real bag is a complete waste. I've seen good LV fakes that are better quality than real LV bags, and to look at them they are identical. FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Ebay is great for designer knock-offs.
    The quality is going to be nowhere near the real thing. Don't support these scammers, if you can't afford the real thing get a non designer item. Fakes send out the worst image, don't buy them.

Not necessarily true. I saw fakes of various Chanel, Gucci, LV and Prada bags in Turkey this summer practically indistinguishable from the real thing on the outside (and I know hangbags :)) How can it be sending out 'the worst image' if people can't tell it's fake. Do you think if the OP buys a good quality fake Chanel people will walk up to her in the street and ask to see the serial number?

Tbh, she could spend a fortune on a genuine bag and would probably still get asked by people whether it was real or fake anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Get a Chloe bag, they're a couple of hundred cheaper if you get them on ebay and they're so much nicer than Chanel bags.

Buy fakes if you want, your money. I know nothing about women's bags but fakes are a waste always, no point i buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

I think some people might be confusing fakes with replicas. With guitars, there are many cheap poorly made fakes, but some excellent high quality replicas which in some cases are even higher quality than the originals but don't carry the same premium price tag. I'd guess it's similar in handbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I think some people might be confusing fakes with replicas. With guitars, there are many cheap poorly made fakes, but some excellent high quality replicas which in some cases are even higher quality than the originals but don't carry the same premium price tag. I'd guess it's similar in handbags.

I think you're right actually. There's a huge difference between a cheap bag with fake logos plastered all over it and something that's almost an exact copy of a designer original. And, as has been mentioned, a good replica won't necessarily be dirt cheap, just a hell of a lot cheaper than the genuine article.

Well if the guitar that is imitating the expensive one carries its own name then it ain't the same, fakes are fake because they steal a name ad try and sell it off that name's reputation.

fakes are fake because they steal a name ad try and sell it off that name's reputation.
    That's not true, they sell them as copies of the original so the buyer knows it is not the real make. Therefore the fakes aren't trading on the originals reputation. FACT

FX Meister wrote:
    That's not true, they sell them as copies of the original so the buyer knows it is not the real make. Therefore the fakes aren't trading on the originals reputation. FACT
    That is total bulshít, click onto ebay right now and you will see people seling fakes that are being claimed as being authentic. What I said is true.

Know when you are beat dude, quit replying, you're just boring me now.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    Know when you are beat dude, quit replying, you're just boring me now.
    I will take it that you are wumming? Otherwise you posts are completely farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Is this shoite still goin on?

Kolodny wrote:
    Ebay is great for designer knock-offs.

Not necessarily true. I saw fakes of various Chanel, Gucci, LV and Prada bags in Turkey this summer practically indistinguishable from the real thing on the outside (and I know hangbags :)) How can it be sending out 'the worst image' if people can't tell it's fake. Do you think if the OP buys a good quality fake Chanel people will walk up to her in the street and ask to see the serial number?

Tbh, she could spend a fortune on a genuine bag and would probably still get asked by people whether it was real or fake anyway :)
    the people who rip off the designer bags are getting more careful with the fakes they make.
    www.basicreplica.com do fakes but they come with everything that would come with a real chanel bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Even if you do find a very authentic fake, your simply not going to get anywhere close to the feeling of satisfaction you will from a real bag.
    I personally wouldn't spend that amount on anything, but if it's gonna make you happy then go for it.
    And it may be hard to believe but you probably have more diposable income now during your college years than you will five years down the road when your mortgaged up to you back teeth, so go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Many people buy genuine designer bags (or other clothing) as a status symbol. It is a way of saying look what I can afford, in the same way that most people buy a porche or a 4x4. Other people buy genuine designer gear because it tends to be more exclusive than high street stuff and they want to have something that looks different from what everyone else has. Which is fair enough, I for one don't want to meet 6 people wearing the same outfit as me every time I leave the house.

The thing with fake designer bags is that they end up all over the place. They are all obviously fake, as it is obvious that there aren't that many people around the place who own the real thing. This means that even if you have the real thing everyone will assume it is fake and it becomes worthless in terms of both showing off and exclusivity. And even though the quality on the real thing is great it doesn't matter if it sits in the wardrobe of the owner who no longer uses it because it looks like 1 out of every 10 bags on the street. Just think of the monogrammed Luis Vuitton that was doing the rounds 2 years ago.:rolleyes:

Buying a very popular fake is pretty stupid, everyone will know it is fake. A lot of people will privately think you are an idiot even if they don't say it to your face. If I was interviewing someone for a job who was carrying an obvious fake I would hold it against them. Most high st and department stores will have similar styles, that is the aim of their business. There only need to be 6 differences between styles to avoid copyright infringement. (Slightly different colour, a cenitmeter wider and shorter, slightly wider handles and two extra compartments inside for example). So saying you are buying it because you like the style can't be true, as the style of a popular bag will be all over the place. And you won't look like a style-less wannabe who thinks that an obvious fake is impressive.

• Advertisement

I think iguana pretty much covered it!couldnt agree more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Although I know nothing about handbags; somebody buying a fake to pass off as the real thing looks a bit strange because a lot of the time they are wearing obviously normally priced clothes and trying to look like they have spent a few grand on a handbag. :D

iguana wrote:

The thing with fake designer bags is that they end up all over the place. They are all obviously fake, as it is obvious that there aren't that many people around the place who own the real thing. This means that even if you have the real thing everyone will assume it is fake and it becomes worthless in terms of both showing off and exclusivity. And even though the quality on the real thing is great it doesn't matter if it sits in the wardrobe of the owner who no longer uses it because it looks like 1 out of every 10 bags on the street. Just think of the monogrammed Luis Vuitton that was doing the rounds 2 years ago.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I think iguana is spot on the issue.

However, I still remember my early twenties and I was mad about fake hand bags. I don't have any other justification though but that I needed it at the time. And I still have this one Burberry fake handbag somewhere in a drawer that I picked up in Macau. I bargained your man down from €8 to €3 (!!). China is great that way. I don't wear it any more but I don't throw it out either (maybe because it also reminds me of the trip).
    Nowadays, a fews years later (and still a student), I'd rather buy a good quality non-designer bag than a fake. But that's just me.

So, OP, don't feel ashamed for wanting your Chanel bag. Get your fake handbag and wear it with pride. You want it, so you'll feel fab with it and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

stovelid wrote:
    a lot of the time they are wearing obviously normally priced clothes and trying to look like they have spent a few grand on a handbag. :D
    Not necessarily true. I have a very expensive handbag (over a grand) and I've worn it out and about wearing "normally priced clothes". I'd be a very casual dresser (jeans and a tee-shirt or something). Just because you wear normally priced clothes, doesn't mean your bag isn't expensive. Unless you're super rich, not everything you own can have a designer price tag on it.

Advertisement