Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal imaging camera

Options
  • 29-10-2006 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,583 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a reference (by Viking) in another thread to using a thermal imaging camera to check on insulation in a house. I've been thinking this would be a good idea as I got pumped insulation done in my house walls but I wonder how effective it was. Does anyone know how I can get a thermal photo of the house taken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Where abouts are you looksee?

Thermal imaging cameras are used for a wide variety of purposes, such as preventative maintenance of electrical panels etc. so you need to be sure that the camera being used is of the right type for your purpose.

An energy auditor should be able to do what you require, if you are having trouble finding one you could give Michael Hanratty of Energy Action Ltd. a ring on (01) 4545464 as they run training courses in energy auditing and so should know the qualified people in your area.

AFAIK the thermal imaging camera required for this sort of work costs about €15,000!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

The guys I use are from Clonmel and do work for me in Dublin.
    Eamonn Mulcahy 087 921 7308

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was talking to Moy insulation on friday and they use thermal imaging cameras on their green roofs. And the one thay use is €60,000 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The basic FLIR thermal camera, with a fixed lens, costs STG£4,500, just bought one in work recently... they are very nifty for all sorts of work...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

looksee wrote:
    I've been thinking this would be a good idea as I got pumped insulation done in my house walls but I wonder how effective it was.

When you use pumped insulation in cavity walls and look at the house afterwards with a Thermal Imaging camera the same heatloss areas show up red as before, where the wall meets the floor, where the wall meets the roof and around the windows and doors especially around lintels and cills.
    External insulation deals with all these areas of heat-loss because you do a wrap around and you cut down on heatloss from the floor as the insulation goes down 6 inches below floor level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When you use pumped insulation in cavity walls and look at the house afterwards with a Thermal Imaging camera the same heatloss areas show up red as before, where the wall meets the floor, where the wall meets the roof and around the windows and doors especially around lintels and cills.
    External insulation deals with all these areas of heat-loss because you do a wrap around and you cut down on heatloss from the floor as the insulation goes down 6 inches below floor level.

Were the wall meets the floor shouldn't show up red. I agree thats its an area for extreme heat loss but the heat goes out through the inner leaf and down into ground. Outer leaf is thermally broken from this path.
    As for lintels, the old style 300mm prestressed concrete ones would pi$$ out heat. Two separate 100mm ones would be better but i'd rather have a pressed stel lintel with injected insulation fill.

Advertisement