Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Laptop and PC through router?

Options
  • 29-10-2006 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hey, father recently got Digiweb broadband in which came with a router.
    Now I have a load of files on the PC which I would like to put onto my laptop. Can I set up a LAN through the router?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

The_Goose wrote:
    I have a load of files on the PC which I would like to put onto my laptop. Can I set up a LAN through the router?:confused:
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Can you tell me how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Ok I f been trying to connect to one pc through another using \\PCname\c$
    but it keeps asking for the guest account login. Even when trying to map a network drive using a different account the same thing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As long as the router includes a multiport switch (most do and if you were able to plug in more than one PC then it's a given) set both PC's to DHCP if you don't want to play with the IP settings, the router should give them both compatible addresses. I'm guessing you've already done this but just covering the bases anyway.
    The easiest way to handle permissions in a home environment is create identical usernames/passwords on each PC. Then assign that user access rights on the shares and the NTFS levels (if using NT/2k/XP/2k3). That way you won't be prompted for credentials when you try to access them (and obviously make sure the account you're using is an Admin on both to use the C$ share.).

Advertisement