Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy people looking to buy pistols

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

les45 wrote:
    Mark.

In relation to movement orders does the folllowing section still apply

Section 16 of the Firearms Act 1925 provides:

" It shall not be lawful for any person to consign-

(b) for removal from one place in Ireland to another such place,

any firearm or ammunition, unless such removal is authorised in writing by
    the Superintendent of An Garda Síochána of the district from which firearm
    or ammunition is consigned for removal".

In addition, should an individual be the holder of a firearms certificate
    for the firearm being moved, they are exempted

The situation in France re the IPSC Match is you must have a domestic permit plus Euro Pass for the firearm you intend to use in the match .
    I believe that a Super can add that type of authorisation to a club authorisation and thus does not need to issue individual removal orders.

In other words it can say on a club authorisation that "the members of the club are authorised to use the club firearms on any authorised range."

No need for a removal order then. I'm not speculating here, I've seen such wording used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

V Bull wrote:
    Thanks for that rrpc, but my point is that if a shooter came to an authorised club, not his own club, to take part in a competition using his buddies firearm, with his buddies permission to use that firearm, and an accident occours, who is liabil taking into account that the shooter has no firearms certificate for that or anyother firearm and possibly no insurance of any kind because he is not a firearms owner. Bearing in mind that they are not members of the host club.
    I think you are confusing legal liability with legal ability. The person is legally allowed to use the firearm, the secondary issue is as to whether they are insured or not.

In the first, providing that a temporary membership is in place (most clubs do this as part of the range fee), then they are entitled to shoot and legally so.

The second part relating to liability for any accidents occurring come down to the normal liability rules: The person who caused the accident is always the first respondent irrespective as to whether they are insured or not.

It's the same as if an uninsured driver crashed into you. they are still responsible for any damages caused whether or not they can pay for them. The fact that they are doubly in the wrong by not being insured doesn't move the liability onto anyone else.

Advertisement