Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEVER again

• 29-10-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭

Well I finally let the marketing machine take my soul and bought a DELL 520 a few weeks ago. What a mistake. As i own a full version of Win XP and a seperate copy of SP2 I decided to wipe the machine and create a slipstream installation. So job done disk made set the machine to Cd boot and nothing happened. The CD just would not boot as it said the it could not load the cd drivers.

Any and all help appreciated.

Wish I got a floppy disk now:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

try the cd you made in another machine it may just not be bootable, which wouldn't be dell's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

You can make a usb key bootable too if there is a problem with the cd drivers. Most newer BIOS's can boot to usb devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Have tried the Cd on my old machine and it worked fine.

Hadn't thought of the USB option is there a decent program out there to make one bootable

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SATA drivers ?

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/000867.html
    Here's what not to do:
    1) Pull floppy drive from another computer
    2) Get lazy and not install the floppy, simply hang it by cables on the side of computer
    3) After using floppy, allow the exposed circuitboard to touch the case
    4) Watch smoke come from the floppy drive since the power was shorted out
    5) Toss floppy drive in the trash

No probs with the SATA drivers love the added advise though can see it being done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Ooops... :)

Here's what I did for my SATA install:
    1) Pull floppy drive from another computer
    2) Get lazy and not install the floppy, simply hang it by cables on the side of computer...

I had no choice though... there was no room in my case

And it worked grand!

Back on topic....

Why don't you
    1) Pull the CD drive from another PC
    2) Get lazy and not install the Drive, simply hang it by cables on the side of computer...

you might break your Drive, but if it works, at least you'll have a computer that works

:)

WARNING: just in case you didn't catch it from the cap'n, this is dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

How did you copy the slipstreamed XP files to CD? Just a normal copy? If so, you didnt copy the 'bootable' properties.

You have to use a program like N-Lite which slipstreams the SP and then creates a fully bootable .iso image for burning to a CD.

Beats me why you wiped XP before you created the new CD and verified it was working...or wiped in the first place when XP was working ok on the Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

humaxf1 wrote:
    Beats me why you wiped XP before you created the new CD and verified it was working...or wiped in the first place when XP was working ok on the Dell.

Was wondering that myself. Presume it was because of the Dell partitions and preloaded software. Though most of the software you can just uninstall anyway and run CCleaner to clean the registry of the software's install info and so on.

Managed to uninstall 90% of the pre installed crap. The DELL wireless manager killed my network settings and then good ol Mc Afee refused to dissappear so dragged out of the registry by hand.

Its just crap that a main stream company can sell such utter crap.

Only problem now is if I leave it on downloading over night I actually have to hard shut down as the system is locked GOD i hate Dell.

Think I mite go back to my old MarxComputers custom build.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have you tried the Dell Decrapifier ?
    http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier

• Advertisement

Capt'n That is class must circulate that to everyone I know

Advertisement