Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selfscan is watching you!

Options
  • 29-10-2006 1:13pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever seen the message

"Purchase Monitored to Ensure Customer Service"

written at the bottom of the self-scan screen in Superquinn (or Tesco)? It came up this morning, the only odd thing i did was enter two PLU numbers manually because the scanner didn't work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

there's cameras on everyone in Tesco, every bit of every shop is covered, so don't feel singled out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Also, the self-scan operator has a terminal showing everything happening at each of their checkouts, each item scanned, weights added/removed from bagging area, etc. Never seen that message before though, it might come up when security monitor the checkout , or it could be a Superquinn thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I bought eight identical packets of labels in Tesco, each weighing only a few grammes, I put them through the self scanner which obviously missed one. When I pressed the pay button I heard a voice message to the effect, there is an unauthorised item in the bagging area. Not only embarrassing but scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

I normally stay away from those stupid self-checkout machines because they normally end up causing me twice as much frustration and delay as the regular checkout.

Best to avoid those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I used my credit card with the self scan in Jervis last night, there's still no prompt for a PIN number, did anyone complain to Tesco and get an answer when they'll be implementing chip&pin on the self scan?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As far as i can see the chip and pin with the selfscan boils down to:

The selfscan machines run the same application as the registers with the extra 'friendly' interface on top (a bit like if you had a game to automate Microsoft Word).

Chip and PIN Reader would easily plug into that setup, seen as the register would look the same as any other to the C&P reader. You'd enter your PIN on the chip and pin reader keyboard, not the touch screen. I presume it would be easy to physically stick the chip and pin reader onto the selfscan unit.

On the other hand if you were to enter your PIN onscreen, the entire selfscan unit and the store's software would need EMV certification (basically which ensures that it can steal your card number).

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

eth0_ wrote:
    I used my credit card with the self scan in Jervis last night, there's still no prompt for a PIN number, did anyone complain to Tesco and get an answer when they'll be implementing chip&pin on the self scan?
    I have noticed in Tesco the self scan dos'nt look for pin if purchase is below certain amount, over 100 euro you have to get a staff member to put card through and sign card slip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

eth0_ wrote:

Why bother - if a retailer chooses to accept card transactions by bypassing the chip and pin then the retailer is liable for fraudalent transactions and not the card holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What really p1sses me off is in Tesco Sligo, after a certain time you MUST go through the self service checkout. What a balls. I arrive up there late on a Sunday night and do my shopping, takes longer to check the items than doing the shopping itself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

SuperClub people, Super Club.
    Makes shopping a breeze, in and out, rarely a queue, no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love the self scanners, though you have to have a look at the people in the queue to check if there is a possible eejits who will be there all day. I can scan better than most people working on the checkouts, fly through it. Swiping the c/c is great, no pin to enter, no loose change. My only gripe is that they do not stick to the 10 items or less rule, it should simply refuse to accept more than 10 scans if they are serious about it. Some people would then try immediately going again but the service person should kick them off.

The cameras are everywhere in tescos, in my one they are amazing quality, full colour with great zoom, I always catch the security guard zooming in on young one's tits & ass

Advertisement