Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Dinner

• 29-10-2006 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

are there many boardsies that have a proper dinner at lunch time on a Sunday (a.k.a a Sunday Dinner/Lunch). I only ask because not many of my friends do, and I feel it is probably the best dinner of the week (unless that week happens to be Christmas week). So how many of you still enjoy the luxury of a proper feed on a Sunday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

We do it very rarely. They can be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I do.

There is currently a chicken in the oven, with stuffing. Some potatoes are roasting too. Carrots chopped and waiting to go on, some spinach too, probably do some boiled potatoes aswell.

Oh, and gravy.

Then for dessert some Romantica or similar I Scream based thing, perhaps Vienetta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Marts wrote:
    are there many boardsies that have a proper dinner at lunch time on a Sunday (a.k.a a Sunday Dinner/Lunch). I only ask because not many of my friends do, and I feel it is probably the best dinner of the week (unless that week happens to be Christmas week). So how many of you still enjoy the luxury of a proper feed on a Sunday?

I do. But I have dinner at around 1.30 every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Never understood the logic of having your Sunday dinner at lunchtime.. I'm never really hungry at that time. In my house, we always had Sunday dinner at the same time as every other day - ie between 5 & 6..

Used to hate it when I'd be having it in someone elses house & they'd serve up it 1 or 2 and you'd only be out of bed an hour or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Will someone invite me for dinner. Haven't had a proper sunday dinner in years :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd fúcking love one. I've been fantasising about one for years now. If there was more than just me and my vegetarian flatmate, I might make one, but there's no point if it's just for me :(.

Get cooking Faith.

Veg soup for starters, with some brown bread.
    Tender roast beef, gravy, roast potatoes and what ever else is fits on the plate.
    Oh, I'm a sucker for ice cream and jelly for dessert.

Run to the kitchen. Good girl :D

Throw your flatmate a carrot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Very rare, its a shame though, good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

In my house it's not necessarily a Sunday Dinner, but on the weekend I do try to make a real home cooked dinner sometime during the weekend.

Had ham dinner with all the trimmings yeaterday. Today we'll pick on the leftovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Faith wrote:
    I'd fúcking love one. I've been fantasising about one for years now. If there was more than just me and my vegetarian flatmate, I might make one, but there's no point if it's just for me :(.
    you have weird fantasies...;)

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote:
    Get cooking Faith.

Veg soup for starters, with some brown bread.
    Tender roast beef, gravy, roast potatoes and what ever else is fits on the plate.
    Oh, I'm a sucker for ice cream and jelly for dessert.

Run to the kitchen. Good girl :D

Throw your flatmate a carrot.

I've already had the soup, yay me! I'd prefer chicken to beef, though.

My flatmate is currently making cookies and pumpkin cobbler for Hallowe'en, so that's keeping me happy :).

Although, I make a total mess every time I try to make roast potatoes. They're one of life's great pleasures, but I can't figure them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Every Sunday. 3 courses around the dining table.

And we always seem to have some form of potato, be it roast, boil or mash.:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We ususally have some sort of roast on a Sunday (it's dad's day to cook and it's what he does best). Tonight I believe it will be venison with potatoes and red cabbage...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh and Faith here is a recipe for fool proof roasties:

Peel your potatoes (I find roosters or one of the other floury types best) and put into a pot of cold water. Heat. When water reaches boiling point set a timer for ten minutes.

After the 10 mins, drain off the water and toss the pototes in the pot with the lid on to "bruise" them.

Heat fat in the oven (marge or beef dripping or olive oil) in a roasting tin or earthenware dish, when just starting to sizzle put pototes into the dish and toss in the fat. Make sure you add the fluffy bits that came off in the shaking as they'll make crunchy bits.

Put in hot oven for at least an hour or until brown and crunchy. Gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dinner at tSubh's place it is then. *rubs hands* \o/ :)

Oh noes! How will I explain 70,000 randomers turning up on our doorstep expecting to be fed?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I never cook properly anymore as I'm only cooking for one. We never had Sunday lunch growing up but would have a proper sit down dinner be it roast or something else on a Saturday night in the dining room using the good china and glasses.

Dinner at tSubh's place it is then. *rubs <insert body part>* \o/ :eek:

Think it has already pushed the 80k mark tSubh.

Do you have enough chairs?

Rabies wrote:
    Do you have enough chairs?

I think there's only really chairs enough for the admins, everyone else is going to have to sit on the floor or out in the garden (there might be a couple of deckchair type things out there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Its in the oven as we speak :) I just hope my poor hungover body can handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

We always have a roast every Sunday. Sunday doesn't feel the same if we don't. Besides my mother loves us all sitting together for any dinner..family is very important to her.
    We just had roast potatoes, roast beef, carrots,, tunips and gravy..yumm! Then homemade dessert for afters.
    No wonder I love coming home for the weekends:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bleh... I can't stand this type of food... and I don't get on too well with my family either... so... eh... no I don't do the whole Sunday dinner thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

We've a roast dinner with the leftovers the following day at least once a week, sometimes twice as in roast chicken one day and a couple of days later roast beef or lamb with all the trimmings.

I prefer having the roast dinner during the week as I work from home and then I have the option of doing something quicker at the weekend so I'm not tied to the house waiting for something that takes a couple of hours.

We often go out for something to eat over the weekend (not every weekend). Hubby will often cook the Sunday dinner. He's gone to get an organic chicken at the moment. He plans on making a banoffee pie for dessert.

Since we became parents we try to have more family meals than when it was just the two of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

This thread is making me hungry :(

We quite often have a full roast dinner on a Saturday.. Sundays tend to be a bit "fend for yourself and have a sandwich or sausage roll" in my house!

My favourite is roast lamb, roast potatoes, carrots & parsnips mashed, peas (not mushy), LOADS of gravy mmmmmm. Although roast chicken isn't bad either as it has my next favourite thing - stuffing!

Unfortunately my parents are in NY this weekend so I'm home alone and am heating a chicken curry healthy eating ready meal thing... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I'm craving Homemade Vegetable Soup!
    Gonna have to make some today.
    Love soups in autumn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

I think there's only really chairs enough for the admins, everyone else is going to have to sit on the floor or out in the garden (there might be a couple of deckchair type things out there).
    I bagsy all of tSubh's deck-chairs!
    It's kind of hard to believe people don't really have Sunday dinners anymore, it's taboo not to have a Sunday lunch in my house. Probably the best part of them is my dad's stuffing, but we haven't had that in ages. It's going to be hard if this tradition dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Marts wrote:
    So how many of you still enjoy the luxury of a proper feed on a Sunday?

not since i moved out of home. and even then it was a rareity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The one Sunday Im not having a roast...makes me so jealous. Will usually have a roast chicken mid-week, then another roast on weekend. Loads of spud used in this family, all roast and mash nearly everyday

We ususally have some sort of roast on a Sunday (it's dad's day to cook and it's what he does best). Tonight I believe it will be venison with potatoes and red cabbage...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh and Faith here is a recipe for fool proof roasties:

Peel your potatoes (I find roosters or one of the other floury types best) and put into a pot of cold water. Heat. When water reaches boiling point set a timer for ten minutes.

After the 10 mins, drain off the water and toss the pototes in the pot with the lid on to "bruise" them.

Heat fat in the oven (marge or beef dripping or olive oil) in a roasting tin or earthenware dish, when just starting to sizzle put pototes into the dish and toss in the fat. Make sure you add the fluffy bits that came off in the shaking as they'll make crunchy bits.

Put in hot oven for at least an hour or until brown and crunchy. Gorgeous!

Nice one tSubh, cheers! Roosters are really hard to get here, though, so I'll have to put a bit of work into finding them.

Well, I just finished my Sunday dinner. Tayto cheese & onion sandwich and a bottle of Coke :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH - feel free to bounce back.

Advertisement