Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you practice?

• 29-10-2006 2:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how often do you guys practice?

Im a huge darts fan and im decent enough but I dont want to join a team until next year when hopefully ill be of an above average standard.

But how much practice would I need to do to improve? The guys who play for teams, how often do you practice and is your game improving or just staying t the same standard?

I ry and play about half an hour a day which is hardly anything but I want to push it up to an hour a day if I have the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

I try to get 2-3 hours practice every evening.The best practice is playing other players that are at least as good as yourself if not better.Thats the only way to raise your game.Don't forget your check-outs.Learning them well is the difference between winning and losing.I've lost count the number of games i've seen lads lose by not knowing the best way out and going for totally wrong ways to check out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Do you practice by yourself most of the time mate or do you get somebody to play? I would have to practice by myself the majority of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

I try to play against someone at least twice a week.The rest of the week i'll play the board.I count the darts trying to keep it at 18 or under.If you can keep it under 18 that would be good going.If you can bring that to your league game every week you'll win more than you'll lose.Practice your doubles alot not just your favourites but them all,that'll give you more options in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

If your playing against someone play 501 dbl-in/dbl-out.
    Then reduce it to 301 dbl-in/dbl-out. Best way to practice your doubles coz you can score all the 100+'s you want but if you can't finish your nowhere!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah doubles are very important. I play a few games starting from 170 just to purely practice my finishing. I also try and check out every double on the board in 3 darts or less.

I have upped my practice times to try and get over an hour in a day because I know that I need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

When I was 'at my best', I was throwing leagues monday-thursday and 'draws' fri-sun with the occassional roadtrip to tournaments.

I was also blessed to be doing barwork at the time and would throw for at least two hours a day there as well.

At one point I was throwing darts @ 35-40 hours per week.

Currently I am not throwing at all. I have a dartboard in my kitchen, but with the ceramic floor I have already had one dart actually break at the point, and I am also tired of replacing the shafts everytime I have a bounce out.

I am heading back to Chicago for two weeks and a local tournament, hopefully I can scratch into one of the Top Four at some point over the weekend.

The only problem is that I have to squeeze in a wedding during the tournament.

Should be an interesting weekend all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I have a dartboard in my kitchen, but with the ceramic floor I have already had one dart actually break at the point, and I am also tired of replacing the shafts everytime I have a bounce out.
    JJB Sports have darts mats with mesurements for €40 (I think thats how much they are).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I have used a few over the years in running a different bar dart leagues/draws in Chicago.

Thanks for posting that.

Advertisement