Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Surround Sound + TV Help Needed

• 29-10-2006 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Hi peeps, I bought a 40" Sony Bravia TV a while ago and decided to buy a surround sound system for it. I bought http://ie.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?category=3&subcategory=19&product=1187&.

Now the problem I have is the TV only has two audio out connections however the speaker system has 3 phono cables meaning theres six connections, I have no where to plug them in. Please help a newbie :)

Speaker System
    fe_pop6.jpg

TV
    35381.jpg

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Unfortunately that speaker setup is for a PC and does not include a surround sound decoder ( PC's dont need one as the six channels are output on the back of the unit ) , thats whats supposed to be connected to the RCA inputs on this speaker / amp pack using small stereo jacks to 2 RCA cables.

What this means is that , although you can connect your TV to the package , you only get front left and right stereo , no surround , unless the system has some kind of pro logic II simulation. ( thats a system for deriving surround from a stereo signal ! )

The connections you can use are the ones marked L and R on your TV ( in your photo the output connections are on the right, the inputs are on the left and the other three are a component video input as far as I can tell. )

You cannot for instance , connect a DVD with 5.1 digital to this system unless of course the DVD has multi channel analog out ! . There is no optical or co axial input for a Digital 5.1 , 6.1 or 7.1 feed. That is something you will need if you want surround sound with your movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Thanks for the reply :) What if I purchase one of these http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468&nav=features Will that allow me to run the tv, dvd player and sky digital through the speakers and get surround sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I had a look at the specs for that and yes , if you get that then the system should be complete and you should be able to attach anything you want , it seems to have all the inputs you would need.

Advertisement