Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken 60GB Apple Ipod

Options
  • 29-10-2006 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I have had my 60GB Apple photo for the last 13 months and have been very happy with it, until this week when it stopped working. i get the sad ipod icon when i power up, and then the un-animated low battery icon. my PC can't recognise it, and to cut a long story short the thing is dead.

Since i am out of warranty, i went on to the apple website and went through the "request service" system, at the end i was told it will cost €261 to repair the unit (:eek: )

Realistically i would probably be better off just buying a new unit(if i had that kind of money just burning a hole in my pocket). I guess i am annoyed because i only ever use the ipod in my car in a cradle and have not done anything rough or careless with it, and the think has broken only one month after the bloody warranty has expired.

so has anyone out there had a similar experience & can maybe offer me some advice? I assume since i am out of warranty coverage i have zero consumer rights on this issue? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Apple dont do out of warranty repairs, that price is for a refurbished unit. Theres a place on south anne street beside eddie rockets that does out of warranty repairs drop it in there for an estimate but i'd be 99% sure one of the 5 rs will work

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

hi fellas

i have tried the mystical five r's but to no avail. i thought it might be a problem with my pc or us cable but i tried it with a different usb cable on a mac today and the same thing happened. i think it is goosed! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer.

An Apple Ipod should not break down after 13 months and as such, if it is a fault with the Ipod itself and not due to mis-treatment it is covered under the sale of goods act and apple are obliged by law to repair replace or refund.

Successfully used this with Phillips when flat screen TV went blank about 18 months after purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

mcaul wrote:
    Manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer.

An Apple Ipod should not break down after 13 months and as such, if it is a fault with the Ipod itself and not due to mis-treatment it is covered under the sale of goods act and apple are obliged by law to repair replace or refund.

Successfully used this with Phillips when flat screen TV went blank about 18 months after purchase.

New TV went wallop after 8 months, got it repaired, went again 18 months later, same problem. Asked for refund, was refused, summoned them to the Small Claims Court. Settled with refund of cost price of TV without appearing in court.

Look for your Consumer rights and get a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Go to the National Consumer Agency who might be able to advise you - I know someone who got a refund on out of warranty furniture on the basis that they had a reasonable expectation that the item would last more than - in your case 13 months. They got a refund from the store rather than the manufacturer.

Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

some great advice there lads, thanks very much! I will go and ring Apple tomorrow and see what they say, failing that i will get all erin brokovic on their asses! will let you know how i get on, thanks again for the advice!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Good Luck! Let us know if you get any satisfaction.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Last year Brown Thomas repaired a couch for me that was five years old so not every supplier is unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Arciphel wrote:
    Hey folks,

I have had my 60GB Apple photo for the last 13 months and have been very happy with it, until this week when it stopped working. i get the sad ipod icon when i power up, and then the un-animated low battery icon. my PC can't recognise it, and to cut a long story short the thing is dead.

Since i am out of warranty, i went on to the apple website and went through the "request service" system, at the end i was told it will cost €261 to repair the unit (:eek: )

Realistically i would probably be better off just buying a new unit(if i had that kind of money just burning a hole in my pocket). I guess i am annoyed because i only ever use the ipod in my car in a cradle and have not done anything rough or careless with it, and the think has broken only one month after the bloody warranty has expired.

so has anyone out there had a similar experience & can maybe offer me some advice? I assume since i am out of warranty coverage i have zero consumer rights on this issue? :mad:

I bought my first iPod in 2004, it broke in warranty, Apple gave a new one. Then that broke (all the time the same problem, clicking noise from the back and wont start) and I couldn't get a new one via warranty. So I filed a claim in the small claims court, its only 15 euro, and they rang me within a few days offering my money back or a new 60gb iPod, my old one was 40gb. So I took the new iPod, happy out. Then that broke again, same problem. I don't want to file another claim as I'll probably have to go to Cork for court this time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement