Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€3,500 what to buy???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yep, ruane is spot on. When buying your first car ( or a car that is a big step up ), you will forgive a lot of things that will haunt you later. Do not skip any checks, and bring someone level headed with you. Agree beforehand that you will walk away, being dragged if necessary :)
    Corsas - wouldn't go near them. Of course there are plenty of good corsas out there, 1 careful owner from new, but even in perfect nick, a fiesta or punto is a better car. Its more likely though, that the car will not have been perfectly minded, and it may well have been a learner car. It doesn't stand up to learner abuse as well as a micra. I know one person who had to get rid of their corsa after thousands of euro spent, it still kept giving trouble with the power steering, and various engine problems. A friend of mine still has hers, but lots has been spent on it, timing chain went, soon after replacement it is making noise. The crank sensor also failed twice. It did survive a dukes of hazzard jump though..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

alias no.9 wrote:
    They're a reasonable buy but no better than a punto, which is a nicer car to drive.

What are these technical problems? I'm well aware of what to watch out for but based on your previous contributions, you're just spouting crap.

Nobody said anything about problems affecting all corsas. It's your black and white crap again. What has been pointed out are things to look out for.

They're back on the up again with a 15% increase in 2006 in europe, against a 2.6% decline in new car sales. As to which sells more, it goes in cycles, which ever has been updated most recently usually does better.

I'd consider pointing out some weak points of a car that another person suggested the OP look at would be useful, help the OP avoid a lemon. As for unhelpful sniping, take a look at your previous contributions to the motors forum.

Finally, to the OP, what ever car you're looking at, with a budget of €3,500, it doesn't matter what make or model it is, buy based on the condition and history of the car you see in front of you, at the end of the day, how it's been cared for will be far more important than the make and model with respect to how good it will be. If you're not sure about checking it out yourself, ask somebody who is. The best people here can do is tell you what to look out for.

Muppets stay awake at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Muppets stay awake at night?
    They do indeed, it's 3:51pm here on the west coast of the USA, it's quite late there in ireland right now isn't it? Still awake?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I would definitely recommend the corsa.. It's my first car - and it's got a ton of mileage on it for a '99 but no problems whatsover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

alias no.9 wrote:
    They do indeed, it's 3:51pm here on the west coast of the USA, it's quite late there in ireland right now isn't it? Still awake?

Yeah your pals are making so much noise in Middle East, evryone in Europe is awake!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Yeah your pals are making so much noise in Middle East, evryone in Europe is awake!!

I have no pals in the middle east. Can't think what would make you think that. Interesting to note you're still awake all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

alias no.9 wrote:
    I have no pals in the middle east. Can't think what would make you think that. Interesting to note you're still awake all the same.

Lads, will you two get a room or something:D , your way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

What about a 1.3 Micra??

Or a 1.3 Corolla hatchback?? (Both VERY reliable)

The Peugeots are for girls (foot pedals so small, shoes big, does not work)

VW are heavy cars and not very good on petrol.

I think Ford are heavy drinkers too, not sure??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

What about a Fiat Ritmo??

My Dad had one and you could start it with a scissors, . . .if ye lost your keys!! :eek:

FIAT = Pooh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

You can buy my Opel Astra if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I'm a bit surprised at the opinions on the Opel Corsa. I had a 00 1.2 Corsa for 12 months, did 20000 miles, about 14k of which was at 120km/h on the M1. I never had one problem with the car. They do burn a bit of oil however.

My brother and my parents both have 1l Corsas (01 & 05). To be the 1l engine seems very underpowered and at times a little rough, but again there has been no mechanical problems. Probably more suited to city drving

The only other small car I had was a 00 Clio 1.2 that I bought brand new. It was quite lively (as far as cars of this size go) and was a pleasure to drive although been 5' 5" probably helped. Only had it 11 months so not long to know if there were any reliability issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I might as well throw my oponions in!

Basically at €3,500 you're taking a gamble. There are lots of people out there who drive Puntos, Clios, Saxos, etc. who haven't had any trouble. but there are also a lot of people who have had countless common faults.
    You could go out and buy something like this and no problems at all. or you could have a complete pain in the arse of a car that you dreaded buying.

If you're looking for as near to as trouble-free motoring as is possible, then I'd try:

Suzuki Swift
    Toyota Starlet
    Nissan Micra

The problem with these cars is that they are chronically uncool, so it may be an idea to sacrifice the outright reliability for a little bit more style:

Ford Fiesta/Mazda 121
    Opel Corsa
    VW Polo

I wouldn't really bother with anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

To be honest you look beyond the smaller cars and get a bigger car in a 1.4 A Bora for example, or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Forgot the Suzuki Swift, GF had one, was a little 3 cylinder thing but it could go until you hit 70 and it kinda maxed out after that. But alot of extras in them, friends just got one as her first car and again it is a nippy little thing, all electrical inside with CD player the works. They all seem to be in great condition(all imports from what I can see) with alot of extras and low milage. No problems either selling second hand because a great first time driver car. ALso fuel econemy is great, fill it and wiat for 2-3 weeks before she is empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ruane

Depending on what you're looking for, €3,500 is either too much or too little.
    If you want a car that's reliable and will go from A to B to C without too much trouble, €2,000 is more than enough. Don't get tunnel vision onto any make or model in particular. Keep an open mind and concentrate on the condition of the car you're viewing. Don't worry too much about what might go wrong in the future.
    Remember it's a car - they all need maintanance - they sometimes give trouble - that's just what they do. If the car you're viewing has a genuine documented service history, this is the best indication of a well maintained car, and would be less likely to have major mechanical problems in the short term, provided you continue to service it regularly.
    12months NCT is plenty. An NCT failable item will most likely require maintanance at some stage within any 24month period.
    You wont get a great toyota or VW for €3,500 but you might get a great ford or peugeot for the same price. Your €3,500 car will depriciate. Your €2,000 car will depreciate by less, and You could even get €2,000 back if you do it right.
    In favour of '92-'97 golfs and VWs in general - they're strong and they hold up well in a crash - I walked away without a scratch from a 40+40mph head on collision - other car didn't hold up so well but thankfully no-one was seriously injured.

The price of the car is NOT what it "costs"
    What a car costs, is the price you sell it for, minus the original cost + cost of maintenance over period of owning it. eg: €3,500 car + oil service@ €80 + 4tyres @ €200 + 2xCV joints & boots @ €220 = €4,000. Sell it after 1 year for €2,000. It "costs" you €2000/year.

Considering the depreciation rates and service intervals, you're 26yr old friend might actually be better off spending MORE on a new car. With 20,000km service intervals and a 3 year warranly, a New car can often "cost" less than an older model. This depends on lots of factors, but if you research it right, it can be done. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a black, 5dr hatch, 1.2-1.4 will sell faster and for more money that that lovely green/blue/red/yellow/white 1.0 3dr.

Either way, I'd spend >€2,000 on a A to B car, or I'd spend €15,000 on a new-ish car. Personally, I wouldn't spend anything €3,000 - €12,000 on a car. It just "costs" too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

2 years ago i bought a 98 primera 1.6 2800 euro its now got 136k on it (i've done 40k) all i've had done on it is some bearings wiper arm spindles and wiper motor (from scrapy) private sale. anyone who say you cant buy a car for that isnt on this planet. but i would say if you can afford the insurance buy a primera or mondeo even with a 1ook theres loads of life left in one and you get a much better drive than a small car but then i live in the country.
    by the way i have a tame local mechanic whos great and cheap. went straight through the nct didnt do anything to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

Buy a 1998 Laguna 1.6 16v from me :Dhttp://varios.busythumbs.com/entry_id/570230/action/viewentry/
    It's in excellent condition, NCT 04/08, TAX 02/07.
    3500 with alloys, 3000 on standard wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

think he's looking for something reliable............

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ruane

ednwireland- nice one. I did a similar deal a years ago involving a '92 golf where I actually made money on it (not much though).

Larger engined cars are (obviously) more powerful and don't need to be driven as hard to get moving. There is usually less wear on larger engines because of this. The components on larger cars are also stronger and longer lasting to take the weight of the car/engine. Larger cars also depreciate faster than small cars too so won't burn a hole in your pocket. And they're better equipped and they're safer to be in if you crash.

A '98 primera is ideal. Japanese reliability, not as refined as a toyota or honda, but similarly nowhere near as expensive as either. You sould be able to pick up a Seat Toledo '99 1.6 or 1.8 for about €3,000- nice cars, watch out for Central locking problems and low coolant levels.

Most modern cars have sealed coolant systems. That means that they shouldn't leak or need topping up - ever. Drastically low coolant on an older car should warn you of possible cylinder head gasket problems.

Has your friend considered a motorbike. It's completely off topic and it's a bad time of year to ride but it's a great time to buy. Pick up a learner legal 500cc restricted parallel twin for €1,500 easy. 2002 Kawa ER5, Honda CB500, Suzuki GS500 - all good bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

ruane wrote:
    You won't get a lot of car for €3,500 ,so...

Avoid small cars with BIG alloys and lexus lights. The engine, transmission and driveshafts are likely to have signifigant wear and signs of neglect/abuse.

Never buy the car with the smallest engine in the range. Go for the 1.2 over the 1.0, and the 1.6 over the 1.4. Base entry engines are underpowered (power/weight) in nearly all models available.

Whatever the age of the car, multiply the "years old" x 15,000 to get ideal average miles. (Diesels avg 20,000+) Avoid signifigantly high miles. Avoid signifigantly LOW miles even more. Unless it's backed up by a Full Service History, there just aren't any '98 cars out there with 50k on them. There are more clocked cars out there than you could possibly imagine.

Get an NCT. Get a COMPETENT mechanic to check it out BEFORE you hand over your money. Second hand car dealers are not famous for their after-sales care.

If you have the internet, research and buy in the UK - I've done this 4 times and will never buy in Ireland again. UK cars depreciate faster (they're cheaper even after paying VRT and travelling) and are better looked after, most with some service history. You're more likely to find a good deal over there. If you buy private in IE or UK you won't have a warranty anyway.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
    Thanks for all that info,we were supposed to go to see a Fiat Bravo 1.2 in Rathmines today after enquiring about it (can I name the garage?)and the salesman said it was coming in today and said he would ring me still waiting for the call:mad: I personally only like jap cars but thats me.Anyway I seen a lovely white colt in Bray but that was dismissed I dont think he can afford to be to fussy €3.500 isnt a lot but his insurance is €1.479 is he loaded for been a chef and working in a licensed premises?Or is this a myth? Anyway we are still hunting for a motor well I am left with the job of finding one:( Are all men this age fussy about cars?There is loads with one owners and low milage but no Fiat Bravos.If he would only open his options to a different car he would be out driving now.Ah well the search goes on.Thanks to everyone with the suggestions.Appreciated:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 1st Colt

Big Nelly wrote:
    I would go with Micra, great car to start with and are actually quite quick for a small car. GF had one a few years ago and I hated them before that but once you get used to them they are great, she had the four door model, with alloys, sunroof etc so a few extras which made it more comfortable. Also you will have no problem reselling them because alot of young drivers will buy them and they hold there value

Managed to sell my 10 year old Micra last Saturday for 17K (ok, it had an argument about 5 and half years ago with a sapling, and someone edged into the back of her causing 200 euro damage; the only other problem was the clutch was a bit high). I really regretted those when it came to selling.

I'm happy with that figure though I'd have liked to got 2 grand (greedy or wha?) - sold to the young couple with 2 kids ... I was a late starter to driving; it was my first car. Used to HATE them before my big bruvvers influenced me to buy but to cut to the chase, it IS a great car to begin with; I only had the Lite version; the most basic I think. It's real zippy and I enjoyed overtaking the big boys every now and then!

btw just HATE the new Micra; anyone else - I mean for sheer looks alone, don't care how good the engine is - that's a lame justification for such an ugly car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

1st Colt wrote:
    Managed to sell my 10 year old Micra last Saturday for 17K...

Wow respect. Is that not more than a new one? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

qazz wrote:
    Buy a 1998 Laguna 1.6 16v from me :Dhttp://varios.busythumbs.com/entry_id/570230/action/viewentry/
    It's in excellent condition, NCT 04/08, TAX 02/07.
    3500 with alloys, 3000 on standard wheels
    I eventually managed to sell a 01 Laguna for 3k recently after a long wait so good luck with your 1998 one for 3500, oh, and mine had alloys.;) Nice taste in cars by the way, is that a Rover 214 in your drive too?:rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

1st Colt wrote:
    btw just HATE the new Micra; anyone else - I mean for sheer looks alone, don't care how good the engine is - that's a lame justification for such an ugly car.

You think the car version is bad you should see the cabrio, its the most hidious thing I've seen in a long time, it looks like a shoe!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bloody hell, another old thread dug up today...

Advertisement