Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VST & Audacity, better recording apps?

• 29-10-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm having trouble getting VSTs to work in Audacity, I place them in the 'Plug-ins' folder but they just dont show up in the effects menu. Can anyone suggest another free alternative to audacity, or as far as free recording goes, is Audacity the forerunner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

If you're using Windows, I think it might be. If you're on a Mac, or GNU / Linux system, you could use Ardour - which, IMHO, is amazing. If you're prepared to try Linux, you'd also have a plethora of other free audio applications as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I don't know Audacity very well. You could try energyXT. Its not free, but its free to try and only 39 euro to buy. It does pretty much everything cubase/logic etc do and its got excellent routing options between VSTs/sequencers etc.

www.xt-hq.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Audacity is as good as it gets for free on the PC at the mo. Pony up a few bob for cakewalk home studio or cubase SE to go to the next level. They are often bundled with keyboards and soundcards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'd suggest Reaper as an alternative, but are you sure you're refreshing your Plug-ins list and have the right folder assigned? Are the VSTs uncompressed? (they should have .dll at the end rather than .rar or .zip)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Maybe they are self install plug-ins like antares auto-tune for example. Is the file extension of what you've placed in the plug ins folder .dll? Do you possibly have two versions of the same program installed and it has ended up in the wrong folder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Usually the ones with install progs are Direct X plugins, because they put stuff in the registry, although some use installers for VSTs (always be careful with these in case they are installing the PACE protection system which seems to mess up many people's P.C.s - I won't risk it on my system so I can't comment further).

Another possible reason the plugins aren't showing up is because they are VSTi (VST instruments) as opposed to VST effects. Audacity doesn't support the former, and counter-intuitively some effects are programmed as a VSTi.

Advertisement