Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hugo Chavez Shakes American Democracy to the core.

Options
  • 29-10-2006 7:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

It is now being alleged that Chavez controls the company which controls the company which controls the software in many of Americas voting machines. Its like the yanks let Fidel buy the Miami water supply company .

This article is vastly amusing, what with an election next week in the states and all .

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/washington/29ballot.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5065&en=e0c8ab46eb7f870b&ex=1162789200&adxnnl=0&partner=MYWAY&adxnnlx=1162123697-fGdgFeTtCKTTCxcnenqAsQ
    “The government should know who owns our voting machines; that is a national security concern,” said Representative Carolyn B. Maloney, Democrat of New York

and
    But after a municipal primary election in Chicago in March, Sequoia voting machines were blamed for a series of delays and irregularities. Smartmatic’s new president, Jack A. Blaine, acknowledged in a public hearing that Smartmatic workers had been flown up from Venezuela to help with the vote.
    Some problems with the election were later blamed on a software component, which transmits the voting results to a central computer, that was developed in Venezuela.

I can't blame Chavez for buying the yankee dog company before he bought their machines for an election in Venezuela, otherwise the CIA would probably have bought them instead and loaded a 'predictive algorithm' <cough> into memory before they shipped them .

I supose we'll find out in time that Cullen actually spent €50m on provo owned voting machine software or even worse.....paisleyite :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Um, if the manufacturers of a voting machine have any ability to tamper with the results, then they shouldn't be using those voting machines. (either in Venezuela or America)

This is just the Republicans vote rigging scheme coming back to bite them in the ass. Diebold have been helping the republicans steal elections for at least 6 years now (and next week they'll be on duty again to steal the congressional elections)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I saw on the News Tony Snow claiming that Iraqi insurgents, AQ and Iran/North Korea are playing up on purpose to ensure that Republicans will loose the elections.

I kid you not.

With regards to the voting machines, Chavez isn't the problem. They are extremly insecure machines and it was on US TV recently showing how easy it was to break into one and alter the contents of the machine. All you need is a Bump key to get in, after that even reasonable software knowledge will allow you change the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hobbes wrote:
    I saw on the News Tony Snow claiming that Iraqi insurgents, AQ and Iran/North Korea are playing up on purpose to ensure that Republicans will loose the elections.
    Wasn't it argued the other way around in 2004, that AQ boosted Bush.

The more I learn about electronic voting, the more it scares the **** out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It is now being alleged that Chavez controls the company which controls the company which controls the software in many of Americas voting machines. Its like the yanks let Fidel buy the Miami water supply company .

This article is vastly amusing, what with an election next week in the states and all .

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/washington/29ballot.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5065&en=e0c8ab46eb7f870b&ex=1162789200&adxnnl=0&partner=MYWAY&adxnnlx=1162123697-fGdgFeTtCKTTCxcnenqAsQ

surely it the case the coup loving venezuala opppostion, are the ones that have controll of the companies involved in this e-voting in venezuala and they were doing what was favourable to the US rather then Chavez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

My my, what else will the bu****es come up with next? Santa Claus is actually Fidel in red fatigues?

Big business in the US is a far bigger threat to what's left of American democracy than any left leaning South American leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

This is interesting

A programmer tells a court how he was hired by Congressman Tom Feeney in 2000 to build a prototype software package that would secretly rig an election to sway the result 51 / 49 to a specified side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

that is interesting, was looking at the youtube links hobbes provided first and the thought that was going through my mind was shouldnt the machine print out a reciept for each individual vote, thus even if the machine appeared genuine any complaint over the result should require the counters to check the reciepts against the machine's result.

Then in your link that is exactly what the programmer said, the only way to know if something is fixed is to check the reciepts against the machine or look at the source code.

I assume they do this already? I mean if Starbucks dont trust their machines to charge someone for a cup of coffee (I have to keep a reciept of every card transaction and at the end of the day check it against the computer results) I assume the US government wouldnt trust a machine with their votes?

Course Starbucks do tend to have more faith in the machine results then my own :(

Rebeller wrote:
    My my, what else will the bu****es come up with next?
    lol, bushites

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I assume they do this already?

Voting machines in the US do not print out a receipt of your vote.

Electronic voting assurances are 100% faith based. Goes down well in the bible belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Voting machines in the US do not print out a receipt of your vote.

Thats very very stupid.

god does any think this stuff is terrible
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4fwMZVLaUA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq1WW3qHYyI&mode=related&search=

lou dobbs is trying to treat the election problem seriously yet engages in cycnial anti-venezualan ****e, he doesn't believe there are endless amounts of companies in venezuala that don't like hugo?

its just anti-venezulan blowback I surprised smartmatic ceo's says , pst we hate chavez too you guys,

although I don't know no governement wouldn't be interestd in controlling their election software

Why the fuk would any sane computer company designing a voting machine have a huge fricken yellow button on that allows you to vote as many times as you like.

Hobbes wrote:
    Why the fuk would any sane computer company designing a voting machine have a huge fricken yellow button on that allows you to vote as many times as you like.

I know surely they should be a key or card given to poll workers so so the admin buttons could only use when a key is put in, a decent key or card.

Advertisement