Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite Beat-Em Up series?

Options
  • 29-10-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

which beat-em up series is your favourite. for me it's probably Mortal Kombat. I was the first series I played. It can be annoying and also stupid the button combinations you need for the moves. MKII is the best one I have played by a country mile. I have played 1-4 (including UMK3 and MKT). I want to give Armageddon a bash, it looks great craic. Another reason I like MK over the rest is because the film conversion is the best out of all of them, leaving Annihilation out of it :o

so which is your favourite series? MK? Street Fighter? Tekken? Dead Or Alive? Killer Instinct? I'm sure there are more I am forgetting

which is your favourite? 50 votes

Mortal Kombat
    0% 0 votes
    Street Fighter
    30% 15 votes
    Tekken
    48% 24 votes
    Dead Or Alive
    16% 8 votes
    Killer Instinct
    4% 2 votes
    other (specify)
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Voted for Street Fighter, but why no King of Fighters or anything else of that generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

soul caliber?

virtua fighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Choice between smash bros and soul blade for me, I think i'd have to pick smash bros...based almost solely on how cool kirby's voice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

street fighter for sure.

maybe soul caliber in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Street Fighter. Ryu ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Choice between Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution & Super Smash Bros Melee.
    VF for its gargantuan depth of play & "yomi" (reading the opponent's mind).
    SSBM for its simplistic fun :D(yeah I know there's more to it, too...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I enjoyed Killer Instinct back in the day. But was it a series or was there a sequel?

Tekken series would be my favourite anyways.

SofaKing wrote:
    I enjoyed Killer Instinct back in the day. But was it a series or was there a sequel?

the one on the snes was great.

the n64 game though was pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Mortal Kombat would be my # 1 and i also liked dead or alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

SofaKing wrote:

Tekken series would be my favourite anyways.

I enjoyed Killer Instinct on the Snes. When I managed to get the 48 hit combo with Orchid I think I came in my trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Street fighter for me. SF2 hasn't been bettered and SF3 is excellent. Virtua Fighter has always been brilliant and streets ahead of Tekken. Soul Calibur is great as well. Good for beginners but has enough depth for people who want to master it.

I hate Mortal Kombat. MK2 was good but there was so many better games at the time. Mk3 and onwards were complete disasters.

I think Samurai Showdown 2 is a forgotten classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think Samurai Showdown 2 is a forgotten classic.
    Not forgotten with this one, I loved samurai showdown too, I regularly declare "victoly" inspired by this game :)

I'd like to point out tobal at this point, one of my favourite ps1 games, fantastic fighter with a really cool adventure type mode and I'd sort of forgetten about it earlier, shame square didn't go past tobal no.2-and the ****ers didn't even release that in europe. The robot was cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Super Smash Bros <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Super Smash Bros. Listen to Kirby say "PK fiyure" or "Valco bunch!" and disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Tekken all the way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not forgotten with this one, I loved samurai showdown too, I regularly declare "victoly" inspired by this game :)

Ippon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Street Fighter. Hands down.

If ye wanted to go further, then the Capcom Vs. SNK series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Virtua Fighter first, Street Fighter second.
    The omission of both VF and SC makes this entire thread a farce ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Definately Tekken, havent got VF4:Evo yet, going to order it this week though, looking forward to it. Street Fighter3 Third Strike is an excellent game though, Soul Caliber has its merits too, and SSBM is just damn fun to get 4 people around for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Smash bros. It wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Street Fighter, followed closely by Smash Brothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Mortal Kombat for me. Although Killer Instinct memories are coming back, what platform was that even on?

Spike wrote:
    Although Killer Instinct memories are coming back, what platform was that even on?

arcade
    SNES
    N64

that's it as far as i can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Ah SNES, that's the one I played. I think it was pretty cool, was like MK except pointy-er.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

for me the best beat-em-up of all time is soul calibur on the dreamcast ... how come it doesn't even make the list ?? surely shome misthake ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Steven wrote:
    The omission of both VF and SC makes this entire thread a farce ;)
    Absolutely. And the omission of SSBM as well.

I would rank the soul calibur and street fighter games as my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Add some king of fighters, a dash of street fighter and mix them together! :D

I liked both series and the capcom vs snk series was brilliant, im not a fan of 3D beat-em-up but soul caliber i find is the only one i like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting. I am unstopable with E. Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Soul Calibur!! An awful selection in the poll by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Soul Calibur!! An awful selection in the poll by the way.

I disagree. Street Fighter is there.

The rest are just making up the numbers!;)

Soul Calibur II is good, and Mortal Kombat was brilliant back in the day. It's prety horrible to play now, though esp MKII and MK3. I'm kinda interested in the newest one, though.

By the way, has anyone else played Mortal Kombat Advance on the GBA? Without doubt the worst game i've ever wasted money on (even the tenner i spent on it second hand). It's a disgrace.

Also I have very fond memories of Killer Instinct. I wonder does it hold up well. I think it might be on Wii's virtual console, so I might get it then.

Street Fighter head and shoulders above anything else. Hadoken and so on...

Advertisement