Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalogeing your Music/DVD etc collection

Options
  • 29-10-2006 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

just wondering what does everyone use to catalog their music/dvd collection and track what they have lent to anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Notepad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

amen wrote:
    just wondering what does everyone use to catalog their music/dvd collection and track what they have lent to anyone?

i wouldnt say what i have is big enough to bother

although a notepad usually works if you suffer from short term memory loss or are forgetful by nature, which reminds me, what are we discussing here again?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I use Music Collector from collectorz.com

Plenty of features; free updates for life; there's also a movie version, as well as book, mp3 and others. You can download a free trial version from the site, which allows you to enter 100 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Personally I don't lend CDs or any music formats to friends due to being burnt too many times in the past. It's a lesson that's taken me a very long time to learn unfortunately. I've had CD's back that were scratched, or the cases broken, inlays missing, etc. And that's if you actually get it back!!!

People can be real ássholes sometimes when it comes to borrowing music. When I buy a CD or some Vinyl I expect to always have it, whereas I know plenty of people that would buy a CD just to listen to until they got bored with and then thow it in a drawer somewhere and not really give a shít what happens to it from then on.

Sorry for the rant, it's just a personal pet hate of mine.

I'd go with the notepad idea though "if" I was lending something out and had a bad memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I only lend to people I trust and who have proven themselves in the past. That's about four people in total.

I use an excel file to catalogue mine with different columns for different info (artist, title, format, label, special notes, etc) and (begin the nerd drive) I get it to calculate how many individual discs in whatever formats I have. At the moment a total of 1494 titles which add up to:
    Total CDs: 1492
    Total DVDs: 75
    Total VHS: 8
    Total LPs: 170
    Total 12": 36
    Total 10": 14
    Total 7": 54
    Total 5": 1
    Total MD: 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

John wrote:
    I only lend to people I trust and who have proven themselves in the past. That's about four people in total.

I use an excel file to catalogue mine with different columns for different info (artist, title, format, label, special notes, etc) and (begin the nerd drive) I get it to calculate how many individual discs in whatever formats I have. At the moment a total of 1494 titles which add up to:
    Total CDs: 1492
    Total DVDs: 75
    Total VHS: 8
    Total LPs: 170
    Total 12": 36
    Total 10": 14
    Total 7": 54
    Total 5": 1
    Total MD: 1

impressive
    I had a word file I used to keep but I got feed upupdating it I now use a plug in I got for winamp got around 1450 albums sp far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

John,
    I should mention I've no connection with collectorz, just a big fan of it, but there's more nerdy fields and stats in it than you can shake a stick at:
    Release date, recording date, musicians, songwriter, engineer, studio, tour name(for live albums), format, genre, location etc. etc.
    You name it, and it's there. You also get plenty of user-definable fields, in case they miss any.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm happy with my excel sheet thanks. Any other info is overkill. Although I might check out that site just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I just made an access database file for it all.

I never need to track lent CD's as I never lend CD's to anyone. If they want something I'll rip them the mp3s or make them a CDR if they're still living in the stoneage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I need to learn some php and MySql and I was thinking of doing a website that would allow you to track your collections and who you loaned them.
    Web site would be free.
    Would anyone use it find it useful?

Advertisement