Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does "shill" mean??

Options
  • 29-10-2006 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭

I see the word "shill" a lot, but i dont know what it means.
    I would hate to be banned for doing something i dont know about.

Thank's.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

You've actually heard of google, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A shill would be someone hired by a company to give favourable reviews of the company's products/services on a web forum.

The sneaky thing is that these shills will often keep their affiliations with the company secret in the hope that they will be seen as 'just another happy customer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

thrill, Feedback is used for general site questions and the odd rant :)

You are not long joined, don't worry you are not expected to know the run of the place just yet. After Hours would have been more suited to your question.

Sometimes using google or wikipedia is faster.

Anyway, here is a link from wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Thanks.
    I actually did use google but i typed in shilling, which is the way i have seen it
    used in sentences. I got a lot of rubbish about the old five penny coin,
    which only added to my confusion.
    If i have wasted your time then i offer you my most groveling apology.

Now i'm off to find After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

¬_¬
    I've hidden it.

Some wonderful definitions here:
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=define%3Ashill&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Shill is Yiddish in origin. It basically originated from the '3-Card Monty' or 'Find-the-Lady' street card games set up by sharks in NYC in the 50's.

Basically the 'Shill' was the stooge employed by the shark to come up and appear to win loads of money, therefore generating interest in passers-by to come and play the game.

Karoma wrote:
    ¬_¬
    I've hidden it.

Not very well, my good man. Found it straight away.
    Best forum on the site.
    Now, my work here is done, but fear not, i may pass by this way again some day.

hi ho silver...awaaaaayyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

On a completely unrelated topic, (well not really it does involve shills and other muppets) kudos to Beruthiel. She is streaking up the LoB, 2nd last time I checked.

Edit: Bad spelling ftl!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

type this in google...

define:shill

Shills are also sometimes fake bidders who push up the bidding price.

There is also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hobbes wrote:
    Shills are also sometimes fake bidders who push up the bidding price.
    That sense is the origin of how we use it here, by extension.

• Advertisement

and how might one find a shill

what if they are just a happy customer?

\me ponder's for a while

Hmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Often times, the giveaway a newly registered account with 20 posts or less. (Very often they've only managed about three posts before "I did meh sh0ppin @ dese boyos der great www.mymatesbusiness.com" appears.)

Shills, people who are actually HIRED to promote someone elses business (and therefore won't get any benefit through a bit of self-promotion) are paid on both quantity of spam and quality of hits - so it's not worth their while building up a trustworthy user profile just to post one link that remains undeleted but disappears off the front page of the board within hours.

For instance, I doubt sinecurea is a shill for Google.

You can often tell by the nature of their contribution up to the point where the review, reference, link or bit of promotional bumpf appears.

You can also get negative shills - "My friend went to eat in Restaurant del Food and she had a horrible time, I'd never ever go there ever."

If you try and engage a shill in conversation about their promotion either they won't respond (they've moved on and their account will remain unused forevermore) or they'll answer you by repeating their original promo with no further detail.

If you PM them pointing out how their post looks suspicious, you'll rarely get a repsonse.

thats seems like a massive waste of time

and resources too! Think of all those dormant account's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

There's actually only 14 real accounts on boards. I myself am 49 shills.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

thats seems like a massive waste of time

and resources too! Think of all those dormant account's
    Won't someone please think of the accounts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Example of a shill, ignored as usual on the comp-tech forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055009902

Did you report it?

Didn't bother.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"what if they are just a happy customer?"

Thats the problem with them. They piss in the "trust pool" we share online. Ok, I dont trust many people online but if I'm involved in a lowkey discussion of (say) games, I want to more or less take people at face value. I certainly DONT want to be talking to a group of which 2-3 are in the paid employ of a game-distributor. I could rant for hours about this topic but I wont (again).

"Massive waste of time."
    Yes, another in a list of downsides of shills. They have no upsides either.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

For instance, I doubt sinecurea is a shill for Google.

We are all a shill for google, we just don't know it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I can't believe that can be a common thing. Who would actually pay their employees to create accounds and log onto internet boards just to speak well of a product without getting caught? Sounds like a lot of effort for questionable gain.

Who here likes Brennan's Bread? Available in brown or white.
    It's nutricious and delicious. And the change is in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Who would actually pay their employees to create accounds and log onto internet boards just to speak well of a product without getting caught? Sounds like a lot of effort for questionable gain.
    Third party companies recruit anyone who wants to make a bit of cash to do it for them, so you have bored housewives, teens, students, etc doing it. I believe there is also something of a lucrative business of it running in countries like Korea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I think a post in the dome puts it well
    DeVore: Hi girlfriend, how are you today.

Girlfriend: I'm fine DeVore, got up this morning and had some delicious Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. Then I settled back and watched Oprah on my fantastic 42 inch Sony Bravia Plasma Television and later on I'm gonna drive my top of the range Mercedes S- Class into town.

DeVore Get the fcuk out of my house you fcuking SHILL. You fcuking disgust me.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

InFront wrote:
    I can't believe that can be a common thing.
    It's common enough that we get plenty of the little pricks.
    InFront wrote:
    Who would actually pay their employees to create accounds and log onto internet boards just to speak well of a product without getting caught?
    Some do it themselves, some hire students or people who want to be able to work a couple hours a week. In some cases bands, radio stations (or one particular DJ, who is hence banned) encourage fans to do it for free.
    InFront wrote:
    Sounds like a lot of effort for questionable gain.
    We do our best to make the gain zero or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

thrill wrote:
    Thanks.
    I actually did use google but i typed in shilling, which is the way i have seen it
    used in sentences. I got a lot of rubbish about the old five penny coin,
    which only added to my confusion.
    If i have wasted your time then i offer you my most groveling apology.
    I love the logic.
    You want to find out what "shill" means, so you type "shilling" into google. It doesn't work so you come here and ask what "shill" means!

Apology accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Third party companies recruit anyone who wants to make a bit of cash to do it for them, so you have bored housewives, teens, students, etc doing it. I believe there is also something of a lucrative business of it running in countries like Korea as well.

Where do I sign up? :D

cast_iron wrote:
    I love the logic.
    You want to find out what "shill" means, so you type "shilling" into google. It doesn't work so you come here and ask what "shill" means!

Apology accepted.

Read the post.
    i typed in shilling, which is the way i have seen it
    used in sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Yea, I did. I also read this:
    thrill wrote:
    I see the word "shill" a lot, but i dont know what it means.
    I would hate to be banned for doing something i dont know about.

Thank's.
    Forgive me for thinking what you wanted to know the meaning of "shill" was .

Remember the website devoted to the Psp, which attracted the attention of something awful who tracked it down to a marketing company. Thats a shill, a paid advertiser who pretends they are un-biased. Like most internet review sites.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Honest to God if any girlfriend of mine said that to me in the morning as a response to "how are you" I'd dump the vaccous materialistic cow! LOL

So I guess its relatively accurate and also probably explains why I'm single... :)

DeV.

Advertisement