Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1000 bills for beginner Dj set up-what to get?!

• 29-10-2006 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

How goes it. I'm a COMPLETE novice with regards DJing, don't think i've ever even touched a pair of decks let alone used them. However, i've gotten really into dance music lately and i'm feeling the urge to start.

I reckon I could stretch to about a grand. Cd is the only logical format, i've got way too many to justify starting a new vinyl collection. I was thinking Denon DN-S1000's. They seem fairly well regarded, haven't a notion about a mixer. Any help would be seriously appreciated. Just tell me straight out what you'd buy for that cash, also a decent place to look.

Also, and this is gonna sound like a retarded question, but what would cd decks be like as normal cd players? I'd feel slightly better about spending that kinda money if I knew I could use them as two decent cd players if it all went pear shaped!!!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Get a set of Vestax decks they are superior decks to Technics 1210's if you search online you may get a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

get yourself a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

1000 isn't going to get you much to be honest. Sure a single CDJ-800 would cost you close to that.

IMO, you'd be better off getting a software mixing program, such as Virtual DJ or Traktor, a suitable sound card and an external mixer (and maybe an external controller, like the Hercules thingy). That way you can rip all the music you have and play it right off the bat. You could even get an eh... evaluation copy of the software, meaning that if you decide to pack it in after a couple of months, you're not a grand down because of it. Plus, if you want to go down the CD route later, you can buy a single (quality) deck first and use it with your existing setup, then buy a second one if needs be and funds allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jonny68 wrote:
    Get a set of Vestax decks they are superior decks to Technics 1210's if you search online you may get a good deal.

I havent used Vestax, but Technics are industry standard, and will be the decks used in majority of clubs. I havent seen many people who think Vestex are better.

You could try a pair of pionner cdj 200s, a pair will set you back about a grand, maybe cheaper on the net. If you do lose interest, you should get a decent price for them to sell on. Or buy a second and pair youself.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

I agree, a decent laptop equipped with Ableton Live (you can get it as a fully functional free demo) so you get the hang of the idea of mixing and then an external MIDI controller when you need more control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I have to agree with the laptop, software and DJ console...get that in at under agrand, the laptop being the expensive bit.

Why I recommend that is I that you get to learn the basics of actual mixing while getting your hand held, straight into the fun end of things and see if you don't bore easily of it...if you do, you sell the stuff again and don't loose out too much....if you don't, you sell anyway and invest in more professional equipement and use the knowledge you've gained on the s/w and bring it to actual decks be they vinyl or CD.

Mp3 is definitely the way of the future just from portability alone and vinyl is expensive and a bitch to lug around, even if it does provide more kudos and possibly a better end user experience.
    All the big names and pros are moving or have moved into digital DJing and ableton sets (although that's not to say it's a reason for everyone else to...)

BTW, out of that grand, how much do you intend putting into music for your start up; that is, to get earning money through gigs to buy more music, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I havent used Vestax, but Technics are industry standard, and will be the decks used in majority of clubs. I havent seen many people who think Vestex are better.

You could try a pair of pionner cdj 200s, a pair will set you back about a grand, maybe cheaper on the net. If you do lose interest, you should get a decent price for them to sell on. Or buy a second and pair youself.

Actually you'd be very suprised mate a lot of top DJ's out there prefer Vestax decks to Technics,i myself prefered vestax to Technics when i used to play.;

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LaMoose

Cheers for the advice folks. The DJ software option sounds the best route alright- i have a laptop. Would downloading a demo version be alright for just getting a feel for whether I'm into it or not?

Am I to assume that the fact no one's mention the Denon's means their cack?! There doesnt seem to be many decent options (hardware wise-at least) for beginners. The idea that a grand isn't really enough to get you started is a bit ridiculous. Having said that, I don't mind shelling out a bit extra to make sure i'm getting decent stuff that'll last.

With regards making money to buy more music-you're way ahead of me mate! Just wanna pick it up as a hobby first off. I'd be perfectly happy as a bedroom DJ if I was enjoying it. Ive a rake load of music, although I have to beef up my dance selection (Erol Alkans podcasts are helping me there!). TBH id see it as some kind of justification for the amount I spend on music!

PS with regards mixing, how difficult is it? I mean i'm not stupid, I play guitar so i've a relatively ok ear for music. Is it a case of put the effort in and your sorted. Wanna make sure there's no chance of me putting the money and effort in but simpoly not being able to, ehhh, perform!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Ok after DJing owning and selling 1210's and Denon S5000's, as well as 2 or 3 other crappy CD sets over the last 8 years.. I've finally turned to Laptop DJing (purely due to the fact that I'm happy doing 21st's, 40th's and Christmas gigs, cos I want a huge music search base available within minutes and because I want less stuff to carry :D )

So, I'll be using the PC DJ Blue, the Behringer BCD2000 and I'll be shortly looking for a mobile 80-100gig hard drive on which to store the 9000+ songs.

It will take roughly 2-3 weeks of practice with the new gear to get up to a 'pub DJ' standard. And hopefully within 6 months I'll be up to Oakenfold standard :p . The decent thing about starting with the laptop is that you can expand on it by adding CD players and/or vinyl.

Having played an instrument before will deffo help you, but it's all mainly about beat matching - once you have that then you can fine tune your drop in's and drop out's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

ableton live

www.abletonlivedj.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Try Virtual DJ. www.virtualdj.com

Its very good and really easy to use. You can also mix / scratch videos aswell.

I used it at a party there last weekend in conjunction with my technics, its good if people want to plug in their ipods or what ever and you can mix their tunes.

I also introduced a few of my mates to it who have never dj'ed that night and three of them now want it on thier laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Vestax have been making supeior vinyl decks for a long time now. Better technically in almost every way to technics imo. Technics are/were the industry standard because they were the first to make good solid decks but they didn't really move with the times or change the design much since the late 70's. 1200 mk5's are still a great deck but there are some people who want more than just good performance with a +/-8% pitch control. Compared to a vestax pdx 2300 I just don't think it can compete.

Anywho on to the topic. It's hard to know what way to go. I'd avoid cd as you won't get anything good for a grand. I'd avoid the software solution as well although this may be fine for what you want but doesn't offer much control imo. I'd say your best bet would be a second hand set of vestax or technics vinyl decks but if you really don't want to go down the vinyl route maybe the software one is for you. You won't have much mobility with this though unless you have a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

I have just created a topic for users to discuss Virtual DJ experiences:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055012037

(I did a search for "Virtual DJ" and for some reason this particular topic did not come up - probably best to have a separate discussion on it anyway as this topic could go down the vinyl route which is slightly off topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

How about a pair of Numark Axis 9s, a Gemini Mixer and a flightcase. Should come to just about a grand.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

When starting, deffo go the PC/mp3 route, especially if you already have a laptop. Buy a Hercules DJ consule for very cheap, it comes with virtual DJ free. You can do a lot with such a simple piece of kit.

Connumdru, why do you use PC DJ instead of Virtual DJ? And how do you find the Behringer? Have you also used the hercules, how does it compare?

Guys is albelton really worth it, I had a look but it seems Very complicated and I haev no interest in producing / live remixing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Littlepete

Thomann.de has denon 1000's plus a denon mixer 100 in a soft case for 950 delivered. This is the ideal set up for a start up DJ. And its SUPERB for mobile work.

I find them great and know many pros that prefer them because of the cool features that cant be beat in that price range and the best bit - their light weight and very mobile.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bryaners

If you can at all try and avoid buying on line sure it's cheaper but if something breaks how do you go about sending it back and plus if you're gigin' can you do without gear? If you buy nearer you, some shop willl give you a replacement while your own gear is being sent away! Try buskers in Ennis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

I started off with 2 x cdj 500 and djm 300 mixer,as yourself just wanted to see if it suited. i had a part time job as light jock in nightclub and so was itching to try it for myself,after watching club dj's spinning away.

Try the virtual dj route,www.virtualdj.com,download the trial version and give it a go.
    I would suggest not spending the amount you said in the 1st post,have a go with the free software route and see if it suits,if you find youself dj'ing in the wee hours of the morning and not being able to leave it alone,then would be the time to look at getting some other equipment.

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

connundrum
    what set up do you have laptop wise?
    has the software ever let you down?
    Have heard some horror stories of laptops freezing and the room going silent while said dj hammers on the laptop to get it started again.
    The reason i ask is that i'm thinking of going down the laptop route,as you said very usefull doing 21st and 40th's with database of songs at your fingertips.
    cheers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ideaman2006

1000 isn't going to get you much to be honest.
    bull. youd get plenty with that to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

bull. youd get plenty with that to begin with

Let me rephrase then. You won't get anything good with that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Let me rephrase then. You won't get anything good with that. :rolleyes:

LOL, agreed - when you're talking about new products.

If you're willing to do a bit of research etc you might pick up a bargain in the buyandsell. I know I let my gear go for about 2/3rds the new price - and I'd only used it a few times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Buy and sell has some savage deals alright. You can easily pick up a decent vinyl setup for under 1k - butmight be more difficult to get CDJ's etc for that money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You'll get pioneer 200s for under a grand. Wont be able to afford a mixer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Zascar wrote:
    Buy and sell has some savage deals alright

I'd be more inclined to look on ebay than b&s meself, better chance at getting a good deal IMO.

Advertisement