Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torrents (legal) Eircom Braodband

• 29-10-2006 11:56pm

hello

I just got eircom broadband with a netopia 2247 router. I download legal Torrents alot but i cant seem to get connected with this router. I have gone through port forwarding .

What i am thiking is it that i need a static IP , if so how do i make one ? Is making a static IP possible ?

Has anybody got any tips ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You dont need a static IP or a port opened depending on what program you use.

Seom programs dont req ports opened,

What program you using?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

...legal...torrents... *tries to get head around this* ;) (j/k)

You don't need a static IP address.
    Is port forwarding set up right - test? What client are you using? Check or post error logs.

Sorry , i forgot to mention that i am using utorrent. But i cant get the speeds over 25, and i am showing as unconnectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Sorry , i forgot to mention that i am using utorrent. But i cant get the speeds over 25, and i am showing as unconnectable.

If you're seeing speeds of 25 or so it must be working.

The torrent you are trying to download proably doesn't have any seeds or peers at the moment. What does uTorrent show you for seeds/peers?

There are peers and there are thousands of seeders. i moved to a new apartment , i used to download at a steady 300 now its 25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

have you set up port forwarding on the router?

I have done the port forwarding yes. This is the thing , what IP address do i use with port forwarding ? if i check my IP address in inconfig/all i get 192.168.1.2 but then when i go to check my IP on portforward.com i get an IP begining with 8 ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Use the 192 address, thats the address of the computer on the network behind the router. The 8 address is the address given to the router by your ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Obvious answer is that you probably have a firewall running at some point.

Also could be the 10 connection limit if your using XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Do what aiden says, hes 100% right, also drop utorrent and download bitcomet. This is much easier to use. and can automaticially handle port forwarding. You can also changet the listening port. i find chaning this can increase speeds, esp when you have lots of seeders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

anti wrote:
    also drop utorrent and download bitcomet.

Noooo dont do it!!! bitcomet is a piece of sh1t, utorrent is the best and azureus is next best

About your problem as posted earlier its probably your firewall, are you using bitdefender by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Auvers wrote:
    Noooo dont do it!!! bitcomet is a piece of sh1t,
    seconded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Sorry for the hijack, just wondering how I disable my windows xp firewall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

seconded

thirdeded!

i've tried most torrent clients out there and utorrent is the most portable (runs from the exe) and easy to use and set up. Uses nearly no system resources and keeps me entertained whilst waiting for my legal downloads to finish, by going into "help/about utorrent" and pressing "T" on the keyboard (try it :))

What netopia router do you have? I have the 3347WG from Netopia, and what I have to do is go into "custom services" at http://192.168.1.254/ (or "expert mode/configure/advanced/NAT") and enable "static NAT" as well as setting up the needed forwarded ports in this section.

What exactly are you doing to forward your ports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

dont most clients these days support upnp? ... turn it on in the router and in the client and youre set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Where is the best place to find a users guide to utorrent. I use it but not what Im doing and I find alot of it way over my head with all the jargon etc, I dont even know how to tell my speeds. Please help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

i thought that port forwarding is only required if you have more than one computer is use attached to the router. if only one pc is being used, why bother with port forwarding? utorrent works fine for me (ntl cable modem directly attached to pc) and i didn't have to do anything with port forwarding. speeds aren't great, but it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

-oRnein9- wrote:
    Sorry for the hijack, just wondering how I disable my windows xp firewall?

Control Panel > Windows Firewall and then just disable it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Makaveli wrote:
    Control Panel > Windows Firewall and then just disable it.

AH I know but I am getting a message in utorrent logger that reads
    [16:01:18] Error opening Windows firewall: 0x80040154

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

speeds aren't great, but it works!
    It will work without port forwarding, but at a fraction of the speed it would if you had it set up correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

quaidox wrote:
    i thought that port forwarding is only required if you have more than one computer is use attached to the router. if only one pc is being used, why bother with port forwarding

Security. If the router just forwarded every port onto the computer, you wouldn't get this benefit.

I'm sure some cheaper routers (*cough* Buffalo, Belkin) are a bit retarded and don't cop that only one computer is connected in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I hate it when people drag up dead threads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

OK, wtf, this appeared on the first page of the Computers & Technology listing.

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

open the eircom bb connection shortcut on your desktop and try changing the eircom firewall settings to low, it's defaulted at medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

There are peers and there are thousands of seeders. i moved to a new apartment , i used to download at a steady 300 now its 25

What speed broadband did you have to download at steady 300?

Have a 4mb down 256 up and the most I ever get is 100 down and this rarely lasts. Average is about 50. I've read all the guides about settings and try to stick to them but never get about average 50 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Eircom 3Mb package will give you 250KBs - 300KBs if the peers have decent connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Guys, OLD thread. Let it die....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

irlrobins wrote: »
    Guys, OLD thread. Let it die....

Poor thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Funny.

Let's see this one come back now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement