Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recomendations for daw software (Mac)

Options
  • 30-10-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

just recently converted to mac, the mac book. didnt realise it would obsolete a copy of cubase le i had, and a rip of reason 2.5. im thinking of just getting myself a full version of something decent. the music is band (guitar,vocal ect) and electronic (samples, electronic drums, synths). does any one have any experience with daw on the mac or any recomendations? i was looking at ableton live, but the demo i downloaded leads me to believe its for seriously sequenced loop music, and wouldnt cater for the band side of things. i was used to using le for that, and reason in rewire for programing my drums and loading samples. any advice would be great, specially mac users, as this is my first go at one.

Thanks in advance

Odin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Sounds like you need Logic. It does pretty much everything and would deal with non loop-based stuff a lot better than Live. Its expensive though, Logic Pro is fully loaded and costs around a grand - would be totally worth it if you could afford it, it comes with awesome instruments and effects. Logic Express is cheaper and would probably do the job.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

thanks for that, will investigate them programs.

Odin

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭donalin

Don't you have Garageband on there already. It comes loaded on all macs as a part of iLife..I think. Its a fairly decent program.
    Logic is great but its ****ing expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I'm the same as yourself Odin, changed over to a Macbook from a Windows laptop about a month ago. I'm planning on getting Protool M-Powered in about a month or so, but in the meantime I've been running Windows XP under Bootcamp and running Cubase under that. Maybe you'd consider that? Very simple to set up (once you have a copy of Windows XP...;)) and runs great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

ableton live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

yea ive got garage band but that wont cut it. its very basic. i have been considering pro tools too. have you played around with it yet? is it easy to use? been searching round and it looks like it might do the job. it would handle all the audio/midi requirements and vst's. have just ordered a REAL version of reason 3, coz rewire will give me lots of drum programming power. at 899 at thomann, logic can suck my fat one. although it is suppose to be great so respect and all that jazz. i have downloaded demo of ableton, and am just getting used to it. granted i can get loop based music up in no time, but this just wont cut it for recording guitar/vocals/bass ect.

any pro tools users think it will complete the set up?

ps, dont think i want windows on my new preciousssssssss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I love Cubase but the majority of serious audio work I've ever done on MAC has been on Logic. It's a brilliant program but prepared for feeling like you're going back to school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

odinreln wrote:
    ...have just ordered a REAL version of reason 3, coz rewire will give me lots of drum programming power.

...have downloaded demo of ableton, and am just getting used to it. granted i can get loop based music up in no time, but this just wont cut it for recording guitar/vocals/bass ect.

You realise that you can't use Reason to host VST/VSTi's or to control outboard gear via MIDI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Ableton Live for me all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 restin84

if the cubase program your trying to use on u're mac is ver 1.07 they just recently put out a patch to install it with os x tiger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement