Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spy photos? Do car makers test here?

Options
  • 30-10-2006 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Do Manufacturers test their new cars in Ireland before they are launched?
    Flicking through Auto Express and Autocar each week, the top pages feature cars covered in black tape from front bumper to rear bumper and sometimes a "mule" aka a chassis bodied with a current model body to hide new inovations at so called top secret sites, often with peoples faces blanked out in the photos.

Ive often wondered if this country is used for testing the ability and performance of any vehicle, given the number of dreadful roads we have and also the wind, rain and freezing temperatures in winter? I once read in autocar where Porsche had done this a few years ago with pre production
    9IIs. Someone had taken some pictures and stated they were taken somewhere in Ireland.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Porsche have certainly tested here in the past, as I got shots of a mildly disguised 911 convertible before launch quite a few years back, I tried Autoexpress but the car had been widely "scooped" already and they had no interest.

I believe the car was here for "wet weather" testing! It was being stored at a company called Iralco in Collinstown Co. Westmeath, they make chrome trim and badges etc. for various European manufacturers, the owners are German.

I don't know what the current situation is.

I have also seen disguised Land Rovers and Jags in the past but didn't get any photos.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Toyota tested the first gen Avensis here as they wanted to perfect the cars ride quality!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Someone had pics of the new Audi R8 testing in Kilarney I believe (Here's what I saw today)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

mike65 wrote:
    Toyota tested the first gen Avensis here as they wanted to perfect the cars ride quality!

Mike.

I think they did this as well with the Corrolla but maybe I'm mixing that up with the Avensis. I think Toyota's idea for testing here was that the Irish roads are terrible so if the ride's not bad here, it'll be better in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

G Luxel wrote:
    freezing temperatures in winter

oh yes , er we have it realyl bad over here compared to continental Europe and scandinavia... I can imagine them now bringing future new BMW and Porsches from Bavaria over here in winter just solely for testing in "freezing temperatures" and to experience our viciously cold -1c winter temperatures

Back on subject, I saw a Land Rover doing testing here a good while back but I don't really see the need as our climate is very much netural and we don't experience a lot of anything really in excess (except for probably rain) but then again the Uk would aprobably seem a more logical choice for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's nothing to do with our climate, it's to do with the state of our roads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rover used to test quite a bit around Connemara. Suspension work, naturally. Nothing like a trip through the Maam valley to check the ride quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I believe Audi had a quite a few cars up in Mondello last week. Not so much testing as showing high end customers the goods.For some reason, as I've been told, they will be crushed when returned to Europe:eek: Kinda find that hard to believe, but aparently it's regularly done for tax reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

It appears the vast majority of testing goes on in the States or in artic conditions and many snappers hang around the gates of the factory or even a testbed like the Nurburgring to get a picture of a future new vehicle. I did see a picture of a Range Rover in the 90s being tested, undisguised, somewhere in Ireland on black ZZ plates. The car wasn't launched anywhere for another year. This picture was taken in Sweden of the next Volvo S60.

sideshots608ll.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

C_Breeze wrote:
    G Luxel wrote:
    freezing temperatures in winter
    oh yes , er we have it realyl bad over here compared to continental Europe and scandinavia... I can imagine them now bringing future new BMW and Porsches from Bavaria over here in winter just solely for testing in "freezing temperatures" and to experience our viciously cold -1c winter temperatures
    Its more subtle than that. In Arctic areas once it freezes, it stays frozen. In Ireland, you can go through the free-thaw cycle daily (or more!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Lexus tested their new LS430 in Connemara a few years back. I have relatives in that part of the world and they were telling me that a number of cars, approx a a car transporter full were shipped over along with a team of engineers to spend a good few weeks driving their cars along some of Connemara's finest (worst) roads.

They were apparently fine tuning the suspension and gear ratios for the European model of the car, which would have different gearbox and suspension setup than the one being sold in the US.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I saw the E36 BMW out at Maam back in late 1989/early 1990, 3 cars 2 wear heavily disguised !

Also saw a Toyota 4x4 in about '93, not sure which it was !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

A mate worked in Sehan Media Sligo before it closed and they often had containers come in with 911's in them for testing it was real covert apparently as they were taken out during the night shift for testing.

Donegal is a popular spot for cars have often come accross cars . mpv's with the extra kits on to cover them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Before the first Mini was launched by BMW, I saw a disguised one being tested up near Clifden in Galway. My head almost spun off my shoulders when I went to take a second look.

Advertisement