Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connection Dropping

Options
  • 30-10-2006 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey, I'm using a Netgear Modem/Router to connect my laptop wirelessly to broadband. But roundabouts every 20minutes, the connection drops, signs me out of all programs and stops downloads. Pain in the arse.

Anyone got any tips on how to find the root of the problem?

Oh yeah, I don't use a microwave or cordless phone. And according to the connection list, there aren't any conflicting neighbouring connections.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try changing the channels on the netgear to one of the others (should be at least 11 if not more).

it doesn't have to be anything you can see interfering with your signal. it could be anything at all, not necessarily another wifi network or a dect phone/microwave etc.

try a few different channels (or all of them).

if you still have no luck, look for a newer firmware on the netgear site and try that, check for newer drivers on the website of your wifi card manufacturer, make sure you have service pack 2 for windows xp (assuming you are an xp user).

give that a go and see where that gets you.

oh, and let us know what (if any of that) fixes it for you. I like to know when i've done some good in the world. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago with a Netgear router. Would you be using Bitorrent by any chance? Doing a bit of googling it turns out that some routers (Netgear being mentioned several times) can get overloaded and freeze due to the number of simultaneous connections being made.

Three routers later and my problem is solved. The one I have now is a Netgear DG834GT and is working fine...not had one dropped connection.

Advertisement