Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share the road

Options
  • 30-10-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭

A few months ago some kid shouted out a car window at me. Gave me quite a fright. I went searching for something on the web that said that such behaviour was dangerous.
    I came across the Bicycle Coalition of Maine (USA) site. It has some good advice for cyclists and motorists about sharing the road.

I wish I had remembered the following when the 'Idiot Cyclist' thread was around:
    Quick Tips wrote:
    NEVER Honk Your Horn at a Bicyclist - it could cause them to swerve into traffic and crash
    It also has section on bicycle commuting, one part for employees and the other to help employers to encourage bike commuting.
    The site has some TV/radio clips on sharing the road. I like the way that they state that cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Speaking as a driver and sometimes cyclist(way more in the past) I could never understand blowing the horn at a cyclist for most any reason, other than to let them know you're there in very limited circumstances(very limited). I mean what does it do other than freak them out and make it far more likely they'll swerve into you. Stupid.

That said as you put it both have responsibilities. If nothing else, purely on the basis that in a car/bike bust up the bike always comes off worse. Cyclists have it bloody hard at times with muppet motorists. I don't envy them as cycling myself often puts the sh1te sideways in me with some of the behaviour one sees from car drivers.

I've seen nearly as bad from some cyclists(not exclusively but often the reclaim the streets hippy types). The sad fact is regardless of ones rights there is the simple fact that bikes are on the lower end of the food chain on our roads. Even in a car, I don't care how "in the right" I am if I'm confronted by a bus or truck doing something stupid. I have to get out of his way.

Plus the state of the roads. I mean it's bad enough in a car, but on a bike it's far more dangerous and frankly unacceptable. I often have to give some poor bloke or blokess a wide berth precisely because they have to swerve to avoid some huge bloody hole at the side of the road. In fact it's one of the things I'm very aware of, passing a cyclist. You hear some car drivers bitch and moan about cyclist swerving all over the place, but that's the reason 90% of the time. I'm convinced that many deaths and injuries are avoidable because of the state of the roads in general and in particular close to the verge. Do not get me started on some speed bumps or wildly uneven road surfaces in general. We have the worst roads in Europe(and beyond). No ifs, buts or maybes about it .It's one of the major things that puts me off cycling more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

you werent cycling around coolock were you? cause people shouting out of cars always happens around there,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

chicoben wrote:
    you weren't cycling around Coolock were you? cause people shouting out of cars always happens around there,
    No, near home in Carpenterstown (not too far from Blanchardstown Centre).

Nor was it far from where a passenger of a van reached out and smacked my brother-in-law in the back of the head! When the van stopped at the lights they passenger held a small hatchet out the window. :eek: My brother-in-law had slowed down to put as much distance between him and the van. Unfortunately he didn't note the reg plate and declined to report it to the Gardai.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

daymobrew, thats bloody insane
    Such people should be banned from the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Sometimes you need nerves of steel

On occaission, I have deliberately had a compressed air horn put out the side window of a car and let rip just as they start to pass you.

These guys are looking for a reaction. To deliberately destablise you. I have been 30 years cycling, I do not react. I do report these boys because they it can be very distressing to the unsuspecting.

The guards can be very helpful, but sometimes they have more serious issues to persue.

I usually get the reg no. Do my homework, track them down (this does take time) and then I provide them free of charge with a beautiful self adhesive sticker with a seriously strong glue. A nice message about their driving ability is left on the sticker.

It has'nt happened to me for some time. I wonder did they learn a little lesson. I always find it amazing how these messers care so much for their precious pieces of junk and so little for others.

I say, never allow yourself to be seen as a potential victim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A f*ckin airhorn???? I can't believe it(but sadly do). What stupid scumbag would do that? I dunno some people. Unreal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've had this, often from groups of teenage pedestrians. Last time it happened it was dark and raining and slippery, I screeched to a halt and went back to them, said "you know that is unbelievably fúcking dangerous." They were all "oooh" until one of them piped up "yeah I cycle to school myself and you're entirely right" and turned on the guy who had done it and ate him out of it. So confrontation can _sometimes_ be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

yeah this has happened to me also, about once a year. gives you a bad shock and makes you particularly angry once you get your bearing as they are laughing their heads off. Once a bunch of kids in by a city center flat block sprayed the contents of a fire extingusher as I passed them..was not the best experience

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

roadmanmad wrote:
    I usually get the reg no. Do my homework, track them down (this does take time)

Care to elaborate on your tracking techniques ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

To answer how I track. I live in a satalite town.

The car population is in the region of say 20,000 - 30,000 cars. The population of Boy racers is much smaller than this (say 1000). Some of you other contributers may be aware, I am not young. I do have contacts, including community councils and residents associations.

Boy racers and those to date that I have tracked have always been local, be it a 3 - 5 mile radius. They follow certain patterns and they almost always come out at night. I usually head off to the main hang out areas - pass by and look for a confirmation sighting. This does take time and patience because you cannot be seen as a vigil ante. You do not want a 1000 or so pissed off boy racers passing your house every night.

Get the confirmation sighting. From my contacts, I can find out approximately where they live.

The rest is history. Once I know a little information, a lot more can be acquired. But all this tracking is based on the likelyhood that the perpitrator will be back to the same location typically within a week. People are creatures of habit, even boy racers. Now I cant sit in a place for a week - but my best guess might get a result in 30 minutes. Just remember

The key to tracking is patience. You may not get them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement