Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up HD xbox 360

Options
  • 30-10-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy, Im a little bit confused as to how to set up HD on my new shiny xbox 360. Basically, there is red, blue & green BANDED output wires & red, yellow & white SOLID output wires. On the tv there is plenty of inputs for scarts but there is only three colored holes - white, yellow & red.

On the back of my tv there is also a port that says HD on it, it looks like a scart input but its alot smaller and none of the wires from the xbox go into it. Do I have to use this port for HD to work or can I use the reuglar scart port ?

Tusky is confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

If there is no where for the red/green/blue cables (component) than no, you cant use the normal composite cables (yellow/white/red) to achieve HD.

What does the "HD" connection on your tv look like? Theres about four types of connection that support hd.

The component in (the one you dont have)

hdmi (very small connection, xbox 360 doesn't support it anyway) :(

vga (same as older pc graphics cards, you'll need to buy a vga 360 cable)

Dvi (similar to vga, you must buy the vga cable, AND an adaptor to use it)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hdmi (very small connection, xbox 360 doesn't support it anyway) :(

I'll take a picture of the connection but sounds like this one, looks kinda of like a scart lead connection but about half the size...

Does this mean I cant use xbox 360 HD with the tv at all !??! Its a philips and its only 6 months old. That sounds rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

No adapters or anything with the 360 to fit any of the sockets I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What TV do you have?

Why does everyone that starts these kind of thread leave out that detail :confused:

• Advertisement

BFassassin wrote:

Pretty much looks like that.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    What TV do you have?

Why does everyone that starts these kind of thread leave out that detail :confused:

Sorry, its this one -

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/FlatPanelTVs/Philips/37PF5520/604702

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232089

Looks like you need an adapter to put the component cables through the DVI socket.

judging by this picture from the philips website all you can connect it with isthe scart or just the yello/red/white cables so no HD unfortunately
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pf5520d_10/37pf5520d_10_cow_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There's a DVI socket - so using xbox 360 vga cables and a DVI to VGA adapter, I would imagine would be the best.

Make sense.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232089

Looks like you need an adapter to put the component cables through the DVI socket.

I take it I can get one of these in Peats or Dixons ? Silly that the tv or xbox doesnt come with one.

• Advertisement

yeah im sure you can get the adapters in those places. have a look on their websites first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Yup , just had a look at the manual and there is no component in on that TV which means no Xbox in HD.

The DVI connector is HD however only the crosspoint on the side of this connector carries analog , all the rest of the pins are digital , I have no idea if there is an adaptor to take component video in on this , and even if there were I wouldnt be at all sure if the TV could recognise this as a HD input , the manual certainly has no feature for it , it only seems to cater for VGA signals from a PC.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There's a DVI socket - so using xbox 360 vga cables and a DVI to VGA adapter, I would imagine would be the best.

Make sense.
    I don't think you can go from VGA - DVI with just an adapter, not sure though. No prob going from DVI - VGA though.

EDIT: Looks like you're right http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/VGA-DVI.html

That should work for you if you buy the VGA cable for the 360.
    Tusky wrote:
    I take it I can get one of these in Peats or Dixons ? Silly that the tv or xbox doesnt come with one.
    Its a Philips specific adapter AFAIK so you might have trouble finding one. Philips shop on Dame Street is probably your best bet. I'm suprised they don't give you one with the TV, component is the most common HD connection.

Thanks for your help, I'll pop into the Philips shop during the week and let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

You can go from DVI output to vga input, but you can't go from vga output to dvi output. You can get adapters but they don't work. You'd have to buy a box that converts the vga signals to dvi.

Lord Oz wrote:
    You can go from DVI output to vga input, but you can't go from vga output to dvi output. You can get adapters but they don't work. You'd have to buy a box that converts the vga signals to dvi.
    AFAIK that only for DVI-D (D stands for digital). DVI-I which Tusky's TV has is a mix of digital and analog connections so it should work.

Advertisement