Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low connection speed

Options
  • 30-10-2006 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

My main eircom socket gives me 50666 bps on my laptop when I am close to th socket. However, when I use my laptop in my office far away from the main socket, the speed goes down to about 33000 bps. I cannot change rooms for my office.

I have been told that when I am down in my office, I should unplug the phone in the main socket as this will be "drawing speed" from the connection.

Would thinner or thicker wires in the "extension lead" increase the speed?
    A REN / Ring booster has been said may help, but I'm not sure. Dont they just make more phones to ring?

Any info appreciated

Regards

HPMan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

not wired in series , I take it they are not the only 2 sockets in the house either

http://www.diydata.com/projects/telephone_socket/telephone_sockets.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HPMan

Hi, the length from the master socket to the extension in the office is far more than 50 metres. The office cannot be moved closer.

Oh well, it sems I am stuck with a lower speed?

Regards and thanks

HPMan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is there another socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

HPMan wrote:
    Hi, the length from the master socket to the extension in the office is far more than 50 metres. The office cannot be moved closer.
    HPMan

Just wondering what sort of socket is in the office?

Is there a chance there is a lightening suppressor or a ringing cap in the office socket, this might account for the lower speed.

If it's the standard extension socket, maybe the wiring is bad.
    Thicker wires usually helps, but most phone grade wiring is usually OK.

Office socket is a standard secondary type. Wiring is as far a i know standard extension type. Though the quality of calls seems to have a bit of an echo - not as "rich" sounding as phone in primary socket.

Any more tips?

Regards,

HPMan

• Advertisement

Well, after days of getting 33000 bps speed and thinking i had it as fast as possible down here in my office, i'm on the web now surfing at same speed as lounge - ie main socket - 50666 bps; strange as nothing has changed - other than routing line thru a surge protector lead.

Well chuffed.

Thanks for all the help

HPMan

Advertisement