Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loud sound systems in cars...Why?

Options
  • 30-10-2006 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I understand that everyone likes a bit of music palying when they drive but why of why do some people (boy/girl racers!) feel that I would want to listen to their music too? I'm talking mostly about these cars where there is no boot space because of the giant amps and sub-woofers etc sitting there.

Maybe they will be playing something I like and I'll be happy to hear it roaring by at 500DB :) or more likely I'll think it's a pile of noise-polluting stinky-poo that makes me question the intellect of the driver and whether they should be allowed operate machinery!

For those of you who have these systems why do you have them? Do you think it makes you look 'kewl'? Is it a genuine love for the music? Why do you think I want to hear it?

For those who don't have them and don't want them do you think that these systems should be outlawed for health and safety as well as social issues (they are anti-social in my opinion)? Do you think that these cars should by law be required to have a certain degree of soundproofing?

Just wondering :)

Edit: From the tone of my post, I think you can guess that I don't like them but I'm willing to hear why others do! :)

Super-loud sound systems are they... 55 votes

Boombastic (great!)
    0% 0 votes
    Spastic (should be banned!)
    32% 18 votes
    Elastic (Okay if volume limited)
    41% 23 votes
    Atari Jaguarastic (Don't care)
    25% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never understood the 150 dB mentality myself, esp the crap they listen to!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

It bugs me too. I just console myself with the knowledge that they'll all be deaf by the time they're 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

In my last car I had a 1200W subwoofer and I absolutely loved it. I do genuinely like music and it really enhanced the sound. Listening to music in my new car just ain't the same. Bassy songs sounded amazin (ZZ Top - Rough Boy....the intro was awesome!) Now when I listen to music in my new car (which has 8 speakers standard) there is soooo much sounds missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

fletch wrote:
    In my last car I had a 1200W subwoofer and I absolutely loved it. I do genuinely like music and it really enhanced the sound. Listening to music in my new car just ain't the same. Bassy songs sounded amazin (ZZ Top - Rough Boy....the intro was awesome!) Now when I listen to music in my new car (which has 8 speakers standard) there is soooo much sounds missing.

I can understand that there are levels of music missing with a normal system etc and that there is an enhanced quality of sound as would be expected with these high-spec systems but I can't understand playing it at a volume that can be heard two streets away :)

I just feel it is very anti-social behaviour and more a 'look at me, I'm so kewl' attention-grabbing ploy for most people with these systems than as a genuine love for music...especially when you hear 'Scooter' or some other Euro-techno pumping out 'Wave your hands in the air. Are. You. Ready...cue 10,000 bpm synth drum :)

Don't get me wrong, I love my bass and I love my Rock music but I understand that others don't so in my car I keep the volume to a decent level and crank it up at home instead (when the neighbours are away for the weekend :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Ive had loud systems in all my cars and im currently building my latest install at the minute.

Personally my reasoning behind it is 1:I love the music 2: for competition 3: Stock systems or even manufacturers aftermarket ones generally suck and sound crap.

Spl and Sq events are starting to get bigger in the south now,in the north and Uk they've always been huge and its just that were years behind.Personally i prefare Spl (sound pressure level) so its trying to achive the highest Db rating on the day as possible whearas Sq (sound quality) is basically what it says on the tin and judged differently.

I dont drive around housing estates pummeling out tracks at 2 in the morning but stuck in traffic in town or where permits and its not going to effect my concentration ill give it a blast within reason,the look on peoples faces when the air freshener in there car starts vibrating is priceless!

• Advertisement

OK, I can understand doing it for competition and having the cleanest/best sounding/quality rig etc. Good stuff :) ...but...
    eireal wrote:
    I dont drive around housing estates pummeling out tracks at 2 in the morning but stuck in traffic in town or where permits and its not going to effect my concentration ill give it a blast within reason,the look on peoples faces when the air freshener in there car starts vibrating is priceless!

Glad you don't drive around estates at 2am but the bit in bold suggests that your blast within reason is not in the range that most normal people would consider reasonable i.e. your actions are selfishly impacting on them. I personally consider this ignorant but again don't let it bother me too much.

Maybe they don't want to feel your bass reverb start at the crack of their asses and move up their spines :) I know I don't like it! As for the look on their faces...sounds like attention-grabbing more than anything else to me. Each to their own I suppose. Thanks for clearing up the competition bit though, that's something I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well, as I posted in the similar thread on this, I like my music pretty loud most of the time but I wouldn't go installing extra subs/speakers for the sake of it.

The 2 Mirage's I had came with 4 speakers and I installed a pioneer head unit which was fine. The Passat I now have isn't quite as good at the bass end, but I've found that after playing with the settings a bit, it's not too bad really.

Personally I listen to my music for myself. I wouldn't btw think what you're talking about as annoying as say taking a CIE coach somewhere and being forced to listen to the driver's love of Gerry Ryan/Joe Duffy etc - at least in a car you can just roll the window up for the 30 seconds the "offending" car is usually in earshot.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I wouldn't btw think what you're talking about as annoying as say taking a CIE coach somewhere and being forced to listen to the driver's love of Gerry Ryan/Joe Duffy etc

Yes, this is why we have MP3 players with headphones :D You're right though, all in all I would rather endure 30 seconds of idiocy that will go away than hours of other stuff I've no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bogmanfan wrote:
    It bugs me too. I just console myself with the knowledge that they'll all be deaf by the time they're 40.
    Got there before me, them and the IPOD generation.

They do it because their souped up little Fiat Puntos are basically cock-extensions. The loud music is to ensure that you're looking at them and their bling-bling clown cars.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As thick as wearing headphones if your on a cycling...you can't hear things around you like emergency vehicles and you are paying alot of attention to other things rather then the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I think it makes boy racers look like hardy badgers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've 1kw system in my Bora. I just like my music loud - nothing at all to do with being 'kewl'. I drive with the volume up quite high, but I do always turn it down to a normal level in traffic or when stopped. I appreciate that it bothers others - so I keep it for the open road.

I don't drive the Bora much anymore, my wife drives it with the volume at '2'! And I do miss it - the damn stereo in the Zafira is pathetic............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

r3nu4l wrote:

Glad you don't drive around estates at 2am but the bit in bold suggests that your blast within reason is not in the range that most normal people would consider reasonable i.e. your actions are selfishly impacting on them. I personally consider this ignorant but again don't let it bother me too much.

Maybe they don't want to feel your bass reverb start at the crack of their asses and move up their spines :) I know I don't like it! As for the look on their faces...sounds like attention-grabbing more than anything else to me. Each to their own I suppose. Thanks for clearing up the competition bit though, that's something I suppose.

I ment to put a smiley face after the bit in bold!

I dont purposly sit in traffic with my windows down blasting away trying to be an annoyance,if its a good song i like Ill give the volume a slight crank but sometimes people tend to look confused as to whats actually making the resonance as its more vibration you'd notice than clarity of the music from the outside

Imo Its abit of a different to someone with all there windows down broadcasting 190bpm hardcore non stop and oblivious to there surroundings

In saying that Ive never had anyone moan at me about it though,infact people seem intrested and want a look in the boot to see whats actually done or how it sounds from inside the car.

Someday lll hopefully be running one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNqkOi64KE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i do like my music.

but not when i'm supposed to be concentrating :rolleyes:

that's why i stick with the standard 'bass-less' rubbish that comes in normal cars.

However, when i'm at home, things are different :D crystal clear sound, loads of uumphhh from the subwoofer... really can get the adrenaline going....

a car is for driving in though :cool: once it becomes too comfortable, that's when it becomes dangerous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive heard a good few people with the news (or some talk show) cranked up.... wtf is up with that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

tbh i think it is crazy... but only when they are blasting their crappy music out of them.

I installed a btter system in my car because i listen to a lot metal music amoung other stuff and it distorts at highish volume on standard speakers, when i jack up the volume i just close the windows so as not wreck other peoples heads with it, and i wouldnt have it up at ear piecing levels. But i wouldnt spend hundreds on a system and have no boot space on a stupid little 1litre or 1.2litre car, i think its stupid. And the dance music they usually play.......... its terrible, haha, would be better to use the money to save for a bigger car

gline wrote:
    tbh i think it is crazy... but only when they are blasting their crappy music out of them.

I installed a btter system in my car because i listen to a lot metal music amoung other stuff and it distorts at highish volume on standard speakers, when i jack up the volume i just close the windows so as not wreck other peoples heads with it, and i wouldnt have it up at ear piecing levels. But i wouldnt spend hundreds on a system and have no boot space on a stupid little 1litre or 1.2litre car, i think its stupid. And the dance music they usually play.......... its terrible, haha, would be better to use the money to save for a bigger car
    One could easily argue that metal music is terrible also.....everyone has different tastes you know. I love classical music but yes I would also listen to scooter/tiesto etc. I hate when people narrow themselves to one genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

fletch wrote:
    One could easily argue that metal music is terrible also.....everyone has different tastes you know. I love classical music but yes I would also listen to scooter/tiesto etc. I hate when people narrow themselves to one genre.

true but im moreso saying that inflicting it on the public is the worst thing, i agree everyone has their tastes but they dont need to be forced onto the public ;)

gline wrote:
    true but im moreso saying that inflicting it on the public is the worst thing, i agree everyone has their tastes but they dont need to be forced onto the public ;)
    While I agree to a certain extent, I think people find the deep bassy reverberating sound annoying. This can occur in any genre of music and is not the preserve of dance music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hate it, think people that do it are either really immature or just plain stupid. What the point of it? sure all you are doing is getting deaf while everyone around is looking at you and going "what a fcuking gobsheen!" while you are nobbing away thinking ur looking cool.

Find the default stereo system in the Passat is more than adequate for listening to radio/ipod. Guess what as well(which I noticed at the weekend on a long drive) if you turn it up pretty loud the side mirror vibrates a bit. Oh I am soooooo cool:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I always taught this was the a ridiculous thing to do to any vehicle. Then i bought something with it already installed. I must admit now it is unbelievable. They sound is so loud and clear it is great for parties.

PS i'm not a boy racer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kikel wrote:
    I always taught this was the a ridiculous thing to do to any vehicle. Then i bought something with it already installed. I must admit now it is unbelievable. They sound is so loud and clear it is great for parties.

Where do you have your parties? no wonder there is so much traffic build up with people having parties in there cars when they are supposed to be driinvg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

I like having the craziest bass imagineable in my car. Its just a bass thing with me. I can see a bit of a generation gap here with peoples replies as well.

I'm more of a music person who has a car rather than a boy racer who just puts in a system to be a completist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Big Nelly wrote:
    Hate it, think people that do it are either really immature or just plain stupid. What the point of it?

Yes. Yes indeed. Because you know so much more than the Audiophiles at Harmon Kardon, Bose, and Marc Levinson who spend millions researching this. The reasons people put in good systems in their cars are as follows :

1. Better clarity of sound. Listen to a lossless encoded song on your iPod with headphones, and then listen to it on a high end system in a house with dedicated subwoofers, crossovers, component tweeters and then come back to me. I know for a fact, that as a Musician, I can hear more of what's happening in a song. I've heard instruments in songs hidden in the background not audible in an in-car system.

2. Pride. I love my car, I love my music, it's only right that I should combine the two and take pride in a nice stereo in my car.

3. The 'cool' factor. Yes, for Musicians, Audiophiles, and the general public having a, and I hate to use your word, 'loud', system is quite nice. Loud doesn't mean having a bass line thumping that's about to break the windows of shops you pass, but it does mean having a sense of immersion in the music.

Don't knock something you know little about. You've listened to music in your Passat's standard system. When you listen to Wagner's Ring Cycle with a component system in a car, come back to me. It's thrilling. No other word for it.

/Yes my car has Harmon Kardon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

The thread should have been directed at loud music as apposed to big systems as you can piss people off by havng a factory system full blast. Actualy i find that more anoying because its distorted and scratchy. at least upgraded systems have good quality in the sound too. ive nothing against upgraded systems, and i like loud music and i plan on upgrading my own but i dont play it loud enough to make my ears bleed so its people who play music stupidly loud ALL THE TIME that i dont like, be it an upgraded system or not.

And not liking it because the song thats being played isnt realy a fair point either IMO

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Big Nelly wrote:
    Where do you have your parties? no wonder there is so much traffic build up with people having parties in there cars when they are supposed to be driinvg.

The M50. thats why their is always a holdup :D

Advertisement