Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema's & Parents

Options
  • 30-10-2006 1:15pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So myself and my girlfriend headed to The Grudge 2 on Friday night and all is well for the first few min until a mother and father bring in 3 of there kids who are no older then 10 years old.

On seeing this my girlfriend gets very annoyed as The Grudge 2 is hardly a suitable film for a 8 year old, so after a few min she decides to go down to the front counter and mention it to the staff.

Staff member informs her this is a regular thing for this couple, and that they often try to bring in the kids into 18 movies etc, turns out the parents sent the kids to the toilets and they went and only bought tickets for themselves...so the staff member says

So the staff member comes back into the cinema a few min later and eventually spots the kids and finds the parents in the row behind them, explains the film is not suitable and they must leave

The mother then leaves the cinema and from what I can gather she ****s the staff member out of it and returns to watch the rest of the film, I'd imagine the lad didn't want to argue too much as this women was pretty big compared to him.

I find it very disturbing that parents would allow their kids to watch such a unsuitable film and that most of all the cinema didn';t do their job and throw them out for #1 not paying for the kids to see the film and #2 leaving the kids watch a film that was too old for them.

Since she wasn't obeying the staff member I can't understand why the staff didn't get a manager or call the gardai or something.

What I also found disturbing was the staff member also told my girlfriend a story of a lad that tried to bring his two small kids into Saw 3 earlier which is even worse then the grudge!

Whats wrong with these people, are they bad parents or are they too bloody cheap to pay for baby sitters or both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

both, those people deserve to be shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

I would go with both, that is absolutely appalling, although I do know the my nine year old neighbour watches plenty of 18 movies as he tells me the details of the film when he is visiting my son.
    I always watch or have someone watch even PG films before I let my kids see them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

When I think back to when I was young, my parents would have never allowed me to goto the cinema and watch a film that was for a higher age group then I was.

Ok we did get away with renting videos but there would be words if my parents disliked the content they saw while we were watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I would go with both too - lazy, ignorant, stupid - the list is endless. Some parents fail their kids horrifically & they are just too thick to realise what they are doing is even wrong...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Those parents are retarded tbh. Their kids are FAR too young to be exposed to those types of movies with extreme content. :confused:

How stupid some parents are always amazes me. Imagine how some of the kids will turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Why did the cinema usher even allow the kids into the cinema in the first place. The OP didn't say where the film was on but at the major Dublin cineplexes, I don't know how you could get 3 kids past (a) the ticket seller (b) the girl/guy who rips the ticket in half and (c) the girl/guy who shows you to your seat.

Wouldn't the cinema be liable to prosecution for allowing under age kids into films rated 18?

On another point, while I love a good action/adventure/horror film, the number of disgusting films being put out these days is unbelievable. Films like SAW (and SAW 2 & 3), and Hostel are a race to the bottom in trying to be more sickening and disgusting than one another. Trying to conjure up different ways of dismembering a human body is not what I'd classify as an art form. Letting kids see "movies" like these is a form of child abuse IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Isn't the Grudge 2 rated 15A meaning children under 15 can be admitted if accompanied by a parent/guardian?? So really it's up to their parents what they see, whether you think it's appropriate or not.

If you really have a problem with it contact the film censor's office.

Obviously if they didn't pay for the kids and shouted at the staff though they need to think about their behaviour in public and think about the example they're setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i was about to say about the grudges cert....

i think its a disgrace though....its alright for maybe a 12 or 13 year old if they understand what is going on and why it is 18 cert but not THAT YOUNG

my mother had a fit this year when i bought the 40 year old virgin on dvd..and it was 15,and im 14 although she said it was about the title ,so doesnt really mind the certs of films i watch

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why did the cinema usher even allow the kids into the cinema in the first place. The OP didn't say where the film was on but at the major Dublin cineplexes, I don't know how you could get 3 kids past (a) the ticket seller (b) the girl/guy who rips the ticket in half and (c) the girl/guy who shows you to your seat.

It wasn't ion Dublin, it would appear that the parents went and got their two tickets while the kids made it passed the ticket checker and legged it to the toilet and re-appeared awhile later and went to the movie with the parents...atlreast this is what the staff member said and its a common issue with this couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looks like there's no restrictions on how young children can be in a 15A provided they are accompanied by an adult:

http://www.ifco.ie/ifco/ifcoweb.nsf/web/15pgguidelines?OpenDocument&type=graphic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cabaal wrote:
    It wasn't ion Dublin, it would appear that the parents went and got their two tickets while the kids made it passed the ticket checker and legged it to the toilet and re-appeared awhile later and went to the movie with the parents...atlreast this is what the staff member said and its a common issue with this couple.

If that is the case they shoudl be barred from the permises the management has the right to refuse admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

yep or they can call la gaurds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

And to think I was refused from seeing 'Gremlins 2' with my father when I was a young 'un...

beans wrote:
    And to think I was refused from seeing 'Gremlins 2' with my father when I was a young 'un...

funny you should say that, so was I :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

..they probably will be in time, by their dysfunctional kids once they reach teenage years! seriously though it's a sad state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

I remember being refused entry to "Mrs Doubtfire" with my friend and her mother when i was younger... apparently they said "the f word" :O

Advertisement