Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Jaguar x type V6 classic

Options
  • 30-10-2006 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at these for the last while and they seem pretty cheap. There are some advertised for less than 20k with only 60,000 miles or so on the clock. Are they an unreliable car? Is there a reason the price is so reasonable?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Aside from the design (to me) looking a little dated now, the handling is more than a bit boaty. My old man had one (3.0l V6) and it really was shockingly unresponsive. Apparently, the chassis was based around an American Lincoln model hence corners weren't really in the design brief.

He now has an XJ8 which is a different class altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I thought the handling was straight from a Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

The X-Type is basically the same car as the current Mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

X-type avoid! Find a slightly older S or XJ (X is an ugly bugger too!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Robbo wrote:
    Apparently, the chassis was based around an American Lincoln model hence corners weren't really in the design brief.

That would be the S type.

Personally I think the X type is a lovely looking car, and having mondeo underpinnings should make it cheap enough to keep on the road as it gets older.

So what if it is just a mondeo in drag! Same can be said for Audis, Bentleys, volvos, and pretty much everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

In common with other Jag saloons, it's a dismal failure sale-wise due to retro-looks. The ex-design chief (Geoff Lawson?) is responsible for this. The XJ is, by all accounts, a fantastic car but it looks like the model Arthur Daley drove back in the late '70s.

The new XK is an attempt to break away from this. The next S-type is imminent and will also break away from 'traditional' styling

Jag really messed up with the X-type. I'd be temped by a 3-series/A4 sized Jaguar if it was a credible machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

pburns wrote:
    In common with other Jag saloons, it's a dismal failure sale-wise due to retro-looks.

The BMW Mini and VW Beetle did alright with retro looks. It is amazing that Jag is loosing money hand over fist. Maybe a person who buys a 50k car doesn't like getting a Fiesta key?

The look like nice comfy cars, are pretty reliable, and have a certain status. Is everyone just too preoccupied with BMW and Mercedes? SAAB, Lexus, Audi, Volvo, Alfa have all failed thus far to make severe inroads, despite BMW offering quite poor value for money and MB breaking down all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Dunno - the Mondeo always gets good feedback and the X-Type apparently uses the best of the Mondeo gear. However, 4x4 is permanently engaged so would that mean it eats tyres and fuel more ?

OTOH the '99-on S-Type is getting < £5K STG, and once VRT is paid makes a good deal. And it's a "real" Jag if that helps ;-)

I was nearly going to go the S- route about 9 months ago, but prices were still in the 9K STG upwards range. I'll probably go for one next time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

franksm wrote:
    OTOH the '99-on S-Type is getting < £5K STG, and once VRT is paid makes a good deal. And it's a "real" Jag if that helps ;-)

Thats a 3 litre engine isnt it? Wouldnt they drink petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

There's a 2.5 petrol that's not that bad though, some 2.0 litre engines are worse guzzlers

But there's also a 2.5 diesel (from 2003) but I guess that'll always be the most expensive one to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

maidhc wrote:
    The BMW Mini and VW Beetle did alright with retro looks. It is amazing that Jag is loosing money hand over fist.

The Mini has been a mega-hit, yes. But the Beetle?

The Mini has retro cues, but looks modern. It's funky and gets the balance just right. The XJ just looks old, like it was launched in 1976 - an old man's car...

The Mini is 'postmodern'. The Jag isn't even 'modern' - it's O-L-D. Maybe i'm talkin' bollocks but you get my drift...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Robbo wrote:
    Aside from the design (to me) looking a little dated now, the handling is more than a bit boaty. My old man had one (3.0l V6) and it really was shockingly unresponsive. Apparently, the chassis was based around an American Lincoln model hence corners weren't really in the design brief.
    Are you sure it was an X-Type? Sounds more like an S-Type to me.

The S-types are nice, they usually come with all the trimmings, but they are an old man's bouncy-castle...so I'll be getting one as my next car.

Advertisement