Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell DVD/CD Drives

• 30-10-2006 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Ive got a dell inspiron 6400 which is only about a month old that wont play certain commercial pressed CDs and DVDs has anyone else had this problem or know whats wrong ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 iarlaoha

I'm sitting in front of a 6400 right now.

It could be that you're using scratched discs, either way...

Alledgedly, Dell use substandard DVD drives in their machines.

Factually, with my last machine, I had to send back the machine to have the DVD drive replaced three times within the first year - and I was not doing anything out of the ordinary with it.

Or it could be any one of the components - The casing on the 6400 in my opinion would not withstand a feather dropping on it. The audio jacks on mine are dodgy already after 2 months of normal use. My best advice is to return the machine, get a full refund and buy and IBM Thinkpad.

A DVD drive giving that much trouble is a bad sign - and I have no trust for any Dell machines. Call them up, place a trouble ticket and demand a refund. Inform everyone you speak to that you too are recording the conversation, and record it. And keep telling them the machine is not of merchantable quality - which it isn't by the sounds of things. Keep going until you get them to agree on giving you a refund, and they inform you of how they will be refunding you. If you got the machine through Dell finance, they should end payments and refund you what you've spent thusfar. Do not accept any restocking fees, or any of that rubbish. Ask to speak to managers, more managers and keep going. You're entitled to it.

I don't have any chip on my shoulder about Dell - but it is my opinion that they've been shipping substandard machines, particularly laptops for some time now. The only way that they will rectify the situation is by people calling them out on it, and that means returning machines that are not of a merchantable quality.

Alternatively, if you're just not that pushed, at least get them to replace the DVD drive. To do this you'll have to go through all their diagnostics bull**** with them, but they will replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would just get it replaced, as it would be under the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ecco

iarlaoha wrote:
    I'm sitting in front of a 6400 right now.

It could be that you're using scratched discs, either way...

Alledgedly, Dell use substandard DVD drives in their machines.

Factually, with my last machine, I had to send back the machine to have the DVD drive replaced three times within the first year - and I was not doing anything out of the ordinary with it.

Or it could be any one of the components - The casing on the 6400 in my opinion would not withstand a feather dropping on it. The audio jacks on mine are dodgy already after 2 months of normal use. My best advice is to return the machine, get a full refund and buy and IBM Thinkpad.

A DVD drive giving that much trouble is a bad sign - and I have no trust for any Dell machines. Call them up, place a trouble ticket and demand a refund. Inform everyone you speak to that you too are recording the conversation, and record it. And keep telling them the machine is not of merchantable quality - which it isn't by the sounds of things. Keep going until you get them to agree on giving you a refund, and they inform you of how they will be refunding you. If you got the machine through Dell finance, they should end payments and refund you what you've spent thusfar. Do not accept any restocking fees, or any of that rubbish. Ask to speak to managers, more managers and keep going. You're entitled to it.

I don't have any chip on my shoulder about Dell - but it is my opinion that they've been shipping substandard machines, particularly laptops for some time now. The only way that they will rectify the situation is by people calling them out on it, and that means returning machines that are not of a merchantable quality.

Alternatively, if you're just not that pushed, at least get them to replace the DVD drive. To do this you'll have to go through all their diagnostics bull**** with them, but they will replace it.

Thanks for the relpy iarlaoha the problem is that if I send it back theirs no guarantee I wont get another low quality disc drive that wont play certain discs.

The discs that wont work for me are DOOM 3 which is on 3 CDS and Terminator 1 ultimate edition DVD their is no scratches on any of the discs if you have Doom 3 or T1 ultimate edition try them in your 6400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

iv had a ridiculous amount of problems with my dell cd / dvd drive just randomly deciding not to play / burn a disc or a dvd, and then a few days later seeming to work ok! could be a similar problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

i have had a dell notebook for 3 years and never once had a problem with my optical drive.

If you are having problems with it send it back, if you get a dud replacement get your money back mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement