Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reliable Stress Measure

• 30-10-2006 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a reliable stress measure questionnaire and maybe a questionnaire that investigates stress management techniques?? Also any idea as to the prices and availibility to students

Rollie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

first define stress..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

depends what profession you are and what you are looking to get out of the questionnaire....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

first define stress..............
    I love it...that question has so many different answers, and I've been going through nearly all of them to get a definition I like.

Specifically what I am looking for is a general indicator to a participants level of stress with regard to academics (or in general) with credibility and relibility in psychology. I've spent all week looking at various stress measures, Lipp stress, Perceived Stress Scale - 10 (PSS-10) etc. I've looked at the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ) but I'm not sure that it can be applied to an academic enviornment, although it was used in a study covering stress levels in psychiaric nursing students in Ireland (Tully A. 2004). So after spending hours going through Trinity College Library (first time I've been there...love that place) searching journal after journal, I noticed that the Becks & Srivastava Stress Inventory (BSSI) kept reacurring. So that is where my focus is now. Does anyone know a good place to purchase this, as a student, on-line?

As well as that, is there by chance anyone who knows of a newer version of the Ways of Coping Questionnaire (Coyne J., Aldwin C. and Lazarus R., 1981). It seems to be a standard test, applied to many fields, but I was surprised that studies after 2000 are still using it (usually with slight modifications). All my hours searching have come up with nothing substantial.

Any help is appreciated

Rollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

rollie wrote:
    the Becks & Srivastava Stress Inventory (BSSI) kept reacurring. .... Does anyone know a good place to purchase this, as a student, on-line?

As well as that, is there by chance anyone who knows of a newer version of the Ways of Coping Questionnaire (Coyne J., Aldwin C. and Lazarus R., 1981). It seems to be a standard test, applied to many fields, but I was surprised that studies after 2000 are still using it (usually with slight modifications).

Have you tried googling the BSSI? there aren't that many companies that sell Psych questionnaires - and they are all eager to sell, though you may have to jump some hoops as in have sufficient qualifications to use the questionnaire. (or at least have a supervisor who has.) Just get the ol' credit card ready!

the Hamilton Rating Scale for Anxiety is dated 1957............but human physiological responses don't change in 50 years. Sometimes a scale doesn't need updating; sometimes it is so well-used that it doesn't even have to be validated (BDI, 1st edition). If the Ways of Coping is still used, it may be one of the 'standards' in the field.

For american academics, it seems to be an ambition to design a questionnaire that will be taken up generally and earn them loads of dosh. As good as a best-selling Intro to Psych book! British academics seem to be a more idealistic (or less materialistic) lot, and often put their questionnaires in the public domain.

According to the Irish company which distributes questionnaires, not one of the questionnaires they sell has been validated in Ireland. So we are all comparing ourselves with British or US norms and keeping the fingers crossed that they'll be valid here.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Ways of coping is available here

Here's a page that reviews and compares some of the older measures. It's a bit out of date, so maybe you need more recent info....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

Thanks again, thats a real help

rollie

Advertisement