Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom bb - slow download speeds

Options
  • 30-10-2006 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

i am on the eircom bb home plus package, my connection speed according to the page on the modem is 2048 /256 however my downloads a only downloading at 600kbits at the monent.

At the start of the month (october) i was able to download near 2Mbits kbits, (approx 1.75Mbits ) has any one experienced this slow down recently. i have escalated this to eircom tech support last week but all i get from them is "we are looking into the problem". I have done various pings and traceroutes from my side but eircom were reluctant to take these from me.

Has anyone any advise on how to procede further

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

gordonnet wrote:
    i am on the eircom bb home plus package, my connection speed according to the page on the modem is 2048 /256 however my downloads a only downloading at 600kbits at the monent.

At the start of the month (october) i was able to download near 2Mbits kbits, (approx 1.75Mbits ) has any one experienced this slow down recently. i have escalated this to eircom tech support last week but all i get from them is "we are looking into the problem". I have done various pings and traceroutes from my side but eircom were reluctant to take these from me.

Has anyone any advise on how to procede further

I have the same package as yourself. It is a little slower, doesn't boder me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

My speeds were also very close to 2 Mbps at first. In the past few weeks, however, download speed has really been crawling at a quarter of that.

Yes, yes, I know -- contention ...

EDIT: And if I don't stop getting DOS attacks from 204.16.208.135 on port 13364, I'll hit the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

eircombb 2mb

My download speed drops every now and again, but not that often and its a lot better than it was a few weeks ago. I was able to get high download speeds all the time for the first few months but since the problems at churchfield it has never been the same.

If you check through the broadband threads you will see that BT, utv among others are still having problems as well. It appears to be a widespread thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

re: contention what is the minimum speed which eircom have to provide.

is it 2mbits at 48:1 = 42.6kbits ? is that correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

My download speed drops every now and again
    The only way to prevent this on an eircom package is to run around to 47 of your neighbours and disconnect their computers....

gordonnet is spot-on with his calculations.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Same here on Eircom 2MB package. Speeds have been terrible since the middle of last week. I rang Eircom but they could not tell me what if anything is causing a problem, just said they would look into it. Nothing got to do with nepighbours as even during the day when most are out it is still slow and before last week the speeds were fine for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm getting 210-220kb speed.

Thats the proper speed right?

That was the speed i was getting at the start of october, actually i was getting 1.75MB on average from feb - sept. its only in the last 2 -3 weeks the download speed has been so slow. According to eircoms own speed test site (http://home.eircom.net/speedtest) my download speed is 35 - 40 KBytes on average when downloading each of the 3 test files in turn. which is below the minimum contention.

can people connected to churchfield in cork do the same tests and maybe when can compare the readings obtained at various times we might get a more complete picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If its below the minimum,threaten to leave.

They will have it fixed fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Nothing got to do with nepighbours
    So does it actually get WORSE when they're online ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Liam Byrne wrote:
    So does it actually get WORSE when they're online ? :eek:

Well it was always better during the day than at night but this was true when I was getting a 1024k speed. During the day it would be over the 1K but at night it would drop to around 870-900Kbps. This was accptable on a IMB package. Now the daytime speeds are 640K while at night it drops to 512k. So while contention(the neighbours) does have an effect in general it is not the cause of my speed going from a normal 1K to 640K. It also happened while Eircom were supposedly upgrading me from a 1MB package to the 2MB package so obviously they messed up somewhere along the line. My real gripe at the moment is the lack of feedback from Eircom, they are just ignoring the calls I made to BB support.

no contact from eircom and the connection is as bad as ever

Advertisement