Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i use my water heater?

• 30-10-2006 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

I taught i knew how to use it, set the time (there is no feature to select the on time) and press the timed switch and bobs your uncle. Was doing this for a couple of weeks and i taught it was great as i always had hot water. Then i checked the meter during the day and it was flying around, turned it off and it stopped moving. So now i am confused how do i set it to timed so i just have enough hot water as i dont want it heating the water all day.

btw we have a night save meter in the place and we have just moved in so i dont know how much it is costing us

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,470 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are there little movable pins around the timer. 2-4 per hour segment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

I taught there would be but there is not, doesnt seem to be any way to adjust the time. Any other ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Irishguy
    From that photo I guessed that your timer works as a simple control on the ESB supply. I think the attachments confirm this. Let me how it works as I see it ( hope I'm right). The timer control allows the ESB to power the heating elements (2 ?, ie bath / sink) during it's on periods, Looking at photo there are two "on " periods during the night....all on "cheap rate". What stops the heating of the elements during these "on periods" is the built in thermostat in the heating elements. The other control you have during these on times is the Bath/Sink switch which decides how much water you heat.
    To recap, Timer allows heating only at night, Bath /Sink switch dictates how much water you heat, Element thermostat controls how hot the water gets. So effectively you have 3 controls.....so far.
    Now the boost is designed for additional heating of water during day time... that doesn't mean you have to use it like the manufacturer intended. If the copper tank is not too far (or maybe even if it is) away from shower, the "sink" element on for 1 hour(ie boost) will give you enough hot water for a decent shower. Try it and see. So unless youself, the missus and your twenty kids all want a bath one after the other, you could leave the timer off permanently and only use the boost control 1 hour before hot water is required.
    However I did read somewhere that heating up the tank of water , allowing to cool down , and heating it up again saved very little money against leaving water on all the time controled by thermostat. Trial and error, suck and see,you get the idea
    Hope this helps...Included all the paper work I could find on your thermostat
    Regards
    t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

cool thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I spotted this thread in a search, and I'm having a similar issue.

My water in the morning is only lukewarm, not hot. If I use boost for 20 minutes, the water will be boiling. I tried setting the heater time back a couple hours to give it more time to heat the water, but it was only a minor improvement.

This thread mentions a Bath/Sink switch, which I don't have. Any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement