Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

removing stereo in 98 Toyota

Options
  • 30-10-2006 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi ,

I purchased a new stereo for my 98 corolla, but after looking online and in the Toyota manual which I got with my car, I have found no instructions on taking out the toyota radio. I tried removing all screws I could access, and then tried to pull it out, but this resulted in something short-circuiting because the inside light in the car doesn't work now.
    I am now afraid to try any more force in pulling the stereo out.

So I now have a toyota stereo which doesn't work, as I have more or less de-faced it, and a new stereo which I cannot install :o(

There has to be a lock system somewhere but I am at a loss. I read online that dashboard panels generally need to be removed but I am worried that if I mess too much at the dash panels without knowing what I am doing, the airbags will activate - or am I being paranoid?

Please can someone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unless your stereo is a special factory fit unit, it should come out without taking the dashboard apart. the stereo usually sits in a sheet metal frame that is clipped into the dashboard. That frame has a catch/catches that prevents you from just pulling the stereo out.

There are radio removal tools that you can buy (in Halfords, for example)

Look at the sides of your existing radio. There should either be two holes (special tool or a long thin nail for that one) or a narrow slot about 8 mm long (different tool or nail file for that). Into that hole/slot you push your tool / nail/ nailfile as far as it goes. This should release the catch from the main body of the radio and you should then be able to pull it out.

In order to fit the new stereo you might have to take out the sheet metal frame as well and fit the new one, that usually comes with the stereo.

If all else fails, go to your next motor factors or whoever fits stereos. They might take pity on you and help you take it out for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

98 Corolla will have a standard DIN sized slot,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Does it have 2 round holes at each side once you take off the faceplate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Get me a picture of the dashboard and I will let you know how to remove the original radio.
    You will need a wirring loom adaptor.

wiring loom adaptor only required for 00 on VVT-i type models with intergrated stereo. AFAIK

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    wiring loom adaptor only required for 00 on VVT-i type models with intergrated stereo. AFAIK

Who told you that? You should try to get your money back, cause is not true. All Toyota's requires some adaptor, if you are fitting an after-market head unit. Some of them also require a facia plate, if the original HU is double-DIN.

You should try to get your facts straight and don't mislead people.

louie wrote:
    Who told you that? You should try to get your money back, cause is not true. All Toyota's requires some adaptor, if you are fitting an after-market head unit. Some of them also require a facia plate, if the original HU is double-DIN.

You should try to get your facts straight and don't mislead people.

The 97/00 Corolla already has a facia adaptor fitted, also not all Toyotas use Toyota stereos, and many do not require a seperate adaptor to be bought.

are you familiar to the stereo fitted to a 98 Corolla?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I removed one once from a 99 corolla so I am guessing its much the same. Did you remove the front air vents and take out teh retaining screws behind them for the stereo?

colm_mcm wrote:
    The 97/00 Corolla already has a facia adaptor fitted, also not all Toyotas use Toyota stereos, and many do not require a seperate adaptor to be bought.

are you familiar to the stereo fitted to a 98 Corolla?

That's what I do for living. Some Toyota's comes with a Panasonic radio, with Toyota wiring loom, and some Panasonic with the standard ISO (20%).

Most cases, the radio is original, in which case you need the adaptor, the reason I asked him to show us a picture.

I'm not disagreeing with you, most of the pre 00 Toyotas used aftermarket headunits, usually Panasonic, but sometimes VDO, JVC or Kenwod,
    Sometimes (as in the case of the 97-00 Avensis or the Celica) will have a non Toyota unit without the manufacturers name on the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

gotta remove the air vents and ur gonna have to buy an adapater for the corolla cost me about E20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm not disagreeing with you, most of the pre 00 Toyotas used aftermarket headunits, usually Panasonic, but sometimes VDO, JVC or Kenwod,
    Sometimes (as in the case of the 97-00 Avensis or the Celica) will have a non Toyota unit without the manufacturers name on the front.

my corolla came with a toyota brand stero and its a 98

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had to buy an adapter too. I got it from http://www.autoleads.co.uk/index.html but that was before Halfords came here. I had to cut off the connector that went into the rear of the Toyota stereo and cut off the connector from the one I bought and solder the wires in the car to the wires on the connector I bought. The reason I had to cut them was because the stereo I was putting in came from the states and there wasn't a direct adapter to connect the Toyota adapter to the one I needed.

I have a pdf file still with the wiring codes for Toyota if you want to PM me your email and I'll forward it to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Thanks for all the replies.
    Lex Luther and E@gle hit the nail on the head!!
    The air vents had to be pulled off, and they revealed the screws for detatching that part of the dashboard which housed the stereo. Because the stereo was bolted at the sides, I would never have been able to get it out through the front DIN slot.

I also had to get a Toyota to ISO adapter which cost me €22 in Halfords. ( the stereo we took out was a Toyota stereo)

Thanks again guys, I wouldn't have thought of taking the airvents off.

Advertisement