Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dell xps, dead pixel

• 30-10-2006 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

folks,

got a xps gen2 from the outlet and wonder will the warranty cover a deal pixel i noticed recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

no i would think not

you are usually not covered for single dead pixels unless its a really high quality product

check your warrentee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tap the pixel to see if its just loose. If it goes away after a light tap then it is loose. It'll probably come back though.

I had this happen a laptop, I got new from Dell but it never bothered me so I didn't get it fixed under warranty. Too much hassle IMO for one pixel.

Check EU law. I remember when PSP launched Sony got in trouble over what they deemed a faulty device because they said you had to have 4 or 5 pixels for it to be deemed faulty or something like that and the EU ordered them to replace devices with fewer dead pixels but I can't remember the number and I don't know if it applies to all products or just the PSP.

The general idea from google searching is if you make enough noise about it they'll replace it under warranty.

A refurbished product is still a product and it does cost a good bit and if it comes with a warranty then any defects should be covered by the warranty. It is likely they'll try to lie to you and tell you about tolerences even if they aren't allowed by law to do it until you insist on your rights so it is worth reading up on it to see where you stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

got a call from a dell rep, he said was the dead pixel as big as a euro coin ??!, so i said no and he warbledo n about the requirements for dead pixels to be returned and said to try rubbing the screen to fix it.
    so if the dead pixel was as big as a euro coin it would be changed? whats the about? can you get dead pixels that big? a guy at work said it should be replaced if there was any dead pixels at all on the screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

a euro coin??? ... is he having a laff?

how the hell can you have a pixel the size of a euro coin?

If it was a brand new screen, i would insist they take it back mate!

However if say you have lost one pixel in 6 months .... well id probably accept it .... i think most vendors would only exchange the screen if there were more than 3 ... so ive heard anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i have an XPS myself and after about a month i noticed what was like a couple of dead pixels in the right side of the screen but when i rang i made it sounds slightly worse and the next day the guy came out to the house and never even powered up the system he just opened the screen and replaced the tft .
    Now im not encourging you to lie to dell ,and if its only one dead pixel you wont get them to come out because as said before its either 5 or 9 dead pixels needed for a replacment ..btw i think the guy on the phone was pulling ur leg theres no such thing about anything having to be the size of a euro coin

• Advertisement

i have attached a pic of what size the dead pixel is roughly (the black dot), he deffo said a euro coin!
    whats the opinion folks?

actually, its about twice the size of that! also the laptop was an outlet model, bought in june

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I have an xps aswell and it has one stuck pixel. The screen is so high res that the one stuck pixel doesn't really bother me. It's too much trouble to replace over 1 pixel, but if it's a big cluster of pixels then it'd be worth it.

ok, here is an actual pic of the real size of the pixel.
    should this be replaced under the outlet warranty .?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

It seems you have a big cluster of dead pixels, you should get the screen replaced. Dell should replace the screen for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement