Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Dishwasher

Options
  • 30-10-2006 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

The dishwasher recently died and I've decided to replace it.

I want to disconnect the old one before the new one is delivered. Is this a straightforward job? I'm not anyway experienced in DIY and I'm looking for some guidance.

Ok, I can turn off the electricity to the dishwasher at the circuit breaker.
    I can turn off the water supply to the dishwsher via a wheel shutoff valve on the pipe which also feeds cold water in the sink. A copper pipe runs from above the valve to a white triangular shaped box (don't know the purpose of this but it has an electricity symbol on it) from which a flexible hose runs to the dishwasher. There is a red switch (?) just before this box. Again not sure what this is for.

The new dishwasher comes with this box also so I presume I need to disconnect the water supply on the existing one just before it enters the box.

Is this correct? Any idea what the red switch is for.

LH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

Apparantly the box referred to above is an "aquastop". Any ideas what the red lever on the pipe feeding the aquastop could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

If it is on the water pipe the red lever is just another shutoff valve. This can be shutoff by turning the lever 90 degrees against the pipe. Basically disconnect power, turn off this red lever , and disconnect the aquastop , you may need a wrench for this. Then just disconnect the output from the waste pipe , you may need a pliers to loosen the clips.

Is it a built in or free standing dishwasher? If built in there may be some screws holding it in place in the front.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been away for a few days so my apologies for not replying sooner. I need to get this job done tomorrow.
    beldin wrote:
    If it is on the water pipe the red lever is just another shutoff valve. This can be shutoff by turning the lever 90 degrees against the pipe. Basically disconnect power, turn off this red lever , and disconnect the aquastop , you may need a wrench for this.

Yes the lever is on the pipe. The lever has a small screw in the middle of it - I don't want to take the screw out but the lever is very stiff to move as it is. Before I apply a little more force, should I be trying to move it up or down (like the hands of a clock). Its running horizontal against the pipe as it stands.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you've the stopvalve closed, that feeds both dishwasher and sink, then there won't be much need to close that shutoff valve (which should've been blue but it doesn't matter). Of course, if you can close it, so much the better.

I've open and closed many of these, but for the life of me, I can't remember which way it turns! I'm near sure it's anti-clockwise! As mentioned, it only turns 90 degrees.

Have an old towel underneath as water may leak out.

• Advertisement

Thanks byte. Got the lever to move anti clockwise and disconnected the pipe from the aquastop. Now just waiting for the new dishwasher to arrive to reverse the procedure.:)

Cheers,
    LH

Advertisement