Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat drooling

Options
  • 31-10-2006 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

One of my cats began drooling earlier this evening and hasn't stopped.
    He had been vomiting up bile during the afternoon, one contained some hair. I fed him cat grass to see if that would help as I don't think he was coughing it all up.
    His dispostion hasn't changed, he was playing chasing with me a few minutes ago and he's now sitting on my desk dozing and drooling.

Strange thing is this happened to one of my other cats a few days ago, (she doen't have any contact with the house cats), she disappeared off for the day and when I saw her again she was fine.

The drool is clear saliva and he didn't have a fit of any kind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Take your cat to the vet if he has been vomiting. The drooling could mean a few things, he could have eaten something that is not good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

Could be a gum infection, defo needs to go to Vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Thought you might like an update.

One of my other cats, Sonny, joined Rufus with the drooling last night so decided if they were still at it today I'd bring them to the vet.

Rufus wasn't too bad this morning but Sonny was still going at the same pace so made an appointment for the afternoon.

Verdict: stomach upset.

(I am going to say what my vet told me, and yes I know it's heresay and doesn't qualify as veterinary advice but it might help ease someone's stress as it certainly would have help me last night.)

Drooling on its own is not a sign that something serious is wrong.
    Vomiting food isn't either.
    Should drooling be accompanied by a change in the cats normal behaviour, like they stop eating, playing, looking for cuddles, climbing the curtains etc etc, please do seek veterinary advice asap.
    If like mine it's only drooling give it 24hrs and take away food, as this just further upsets the stomach, to see if there's improvement, if not off to the vet.

Typically Rufus was well on the road to recovery, with Sonny not far behind, by the time I got to the vet so all my worrying last night was in vain (thankfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Did you have them checked out for FIV? Drooling is one of the signs for that too.

All clear for that as vaccinations are up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

There is no vaccine for FIV in this part of the world.

OP - How are the cats, have they stopped drooling? Also just wondering, what's cat grass??

Sorry, vet mentioned that when I was there, they don't have it.

They're much better, virus had to work out of their system but as I said in my original post neither of their temperments changed, still running around playing.

Cat grass: Cats need greens to provide vitamins (folic acid), aid their digestion, assist in removing fur balls and increase roughage in their diet. Eating grass is a natural craving for cats. Healthy and natural cat grass provides an excellent source of vegetation. Our grass is easy to grow, just plant the seeds and within a few days - voilà! Cats are naturally drawn to grass and they love ours.

Natural grass helps prevent your cat from eating house plants which may be poisonous. Outdoor cats can satisfy their desire for fresh vegetation, but when cats are kept indoors all the time, they have no opportunity to eat tender grass as nature intended. So they satisfy their craving by chewing on houseplants and some can be deadly to cats. Your first impulse might be to just remove your house plants but cats still need to satisfy their natural cravings.

Advertisement