Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help, cat has swollen stomach.

Options
  • 31-10-2006 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hello,

My cat, who is quite old (around 11 years), has not been acting himself the past few months and has been slow and his balance hasn't been great (not alarming, however).

I've been away over the weekend and came back today, only tonight did I realise my cat has a very swollen stomach; it is also making noises a few times every minute.

As a guy, I am quite devoted to my cat, as his twin bro was killed when I was 11 and it had a very bad affect on me. I'm 18 now, and I really don't want my cat to die in pain, let alone at all.

I've googled cats with similar symptoms and what has come up is: roundwords, FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis) - which is fatal, distangled stomach (think that could be the wrong word), a tumour and something to do with food or so.

His eating habits have changed somewhat, he is drinking rainwater from the patio when he hasn't done that before, and as you may guess from his other name "Greedy", he used to be a big meower and and always want food, but he isn't like this at all.

He loves my mother more than I (which is fine), but he hasn't been seeking her attention as much as he used to or even reciprocate when given attention.

It is looking like he may be "on the way out" as my mum says, but this recent situation has made it all the more worrying. If he dies in his sleep, I can take it; he's old and every person/animal has his time, but that last thing I want is for him to die in pain, and I've always found the thought of him being put down as distressing.

The FIP suggestion, as well as a rapid tumour growth is particularly disturbing. He has been acting normally - well normally in relation to recent behaviour, not long-term usual behavious, so this doesn't seem to have affected him so much, yet I only noticed it tonight and I've been with him most of the day since 4pm (this was Monday).

He's a great cat - a Russian Blue; a peaceful and loving cat, and I ask that if you have any information for you to post; please don't read this and move on if you think you can help.

Regards,
    JB.

PS: I realise going to the vet would be the best idea, but we don't have a car at the moment (dad is away working - we're hoping he'll be back this week), and sadly it was on our way to the vet that this guys bro died after he jumped out of this cage and was hit by two cars (I'm very proud to say that he survived been hit twice, but suffered internal bleeding and was put down after surgery).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about a taxi then??

Off to the vet with you, quick !

By the way ...11 years isn't that old for a cat, he could easily have another ten years in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

I agree with peasant.

Off to the vet. No neighbours around who could give you a lift? And 11 is young. Our oldest cat just died. She was 24! Average age of domestic cats is 17-18.

Keep us posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Belle_Morte

The sooner you get him to a vet the better. Without knowing what is causing the swelling and discomfort there isn't a lot you can do. I agree with mjffey and peasant, I think your best bet is to try to find someone who will give you a lift to the vets or failing that lash out on a taxi.

I've got a very sprightly 16 year old cat at home; still eats like a horse, he even managed to catch and eat a mouse recently.

Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree, get a taxi or ask a family friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

More than two weeks since the original post - I'd love to know how the cat's doing ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement