Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an old rifle of the cowboy type

Options
  • 31-10-2006 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Howdy, I want a rifle like the ones used in the westerns.Whats the closest model i could get that would somewhat replicate them cowboy rifles? Its not just a fake replica i want, i want 1 that actually works that i could use. I`d like it to sound like the ones in the films or as close as possible.

Any reccommendations?

Also where can i get replicas of the pistols, i understand these will have to be fake replicas. What are the best manufacturers/makes of such replicas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You're looking for a "lever action" rifle then.........not so common here.

Is it for hunting or target shooting or some other purpose? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Yeah, lever action it`ll be then. Just being mooching on the net and i found some replica pistols and rifles that cannot be converted to fire live ammo which sounds good. However these replicas can fire blanks which can be bought for them. How exactly do blanks work, do they just make noise or do they actually fire something?

I want the pistols for display and some rifles too. I want at least 1 rifle that`ll actually fire live ammo though and that sounds like the ones in the westerns. I realise the films probably all have sound effects but similar sounding one would be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I've a lever action .22,its a Norinco JW 21,a copy of a winchester.I got it new a couple of years ago so i'm sure other gun dealers carry them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

nuttzy , just sent PM

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nutzy, it sounds like you've never used a firearm before. If so, I'd strongly recommend you join your local firearms club before you spend a penny on a firearm. ,Firstly, you may find there are other firearms that you prefer; secondly you may find a second-hand deal that's better than buying new; thirdly because there's no other way you'd get the licence since you don't seem to want to hunt with the firearm; fourthly because there is a discipline that uses these rifles (it's called gallery rifle and it's rather huge in the UK and is starting to take off here as well); and fifthly because it's really the only route you have to get the training to use the firearm safely, and you *really* don't want to regret buying it because of an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Exactly what purpose would the rifle be for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Don't forget Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS- Single Action Shooting Society). Think of it as IPSC in cowboy hats.
    It's massive in the U.S. obviously, but is also huge around the rest of the world, including in the U.K.- http://www.bwss.org.uk/
    I don't know if it's done anywhere on this island though.

Nuttzy, as I'm sure you'll have gathered by now, you're going to have to either go Hunting or Target Shooting in order to persuade the Gardai to issue you a licence.
    Basically, Hunting requires that you have somewhere and something to hunt, and Target Shooting requires that you're a member of a Club that caters to the discipline for which your desired firearm is suitable.

Under our current (and foreseeable) legislation, "I'd just like one" is not acceptable as a valid reason for the issuing of a Firearm Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

That looks like fun Rovi:D Better get to work on starting that sport up:)

By the way, I remmber Uberti making a winchester repro that fire Brocock air cartridges at around 9ft/lb. Anyone know if they are still around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That looks like fun Rovi:D Better get to work on starting that sport up:)
    Do you think the Pony Club people currently involved in airgun shooting be interested in this?-
    http://www.sassnet.com/Mounted-Main-001A.php

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

To answer Nutzzy .Blanks just make noise. They are now a liscenseable firearm as well.So you might as well get the real thing then a glorified toy for the same money and hassle.
    As for the Brocock,An air rifle based on a converted real gun.Dont think they do them anymore in the UK.Have seen the system used in Germany on many semi deacts of all types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think the pony club aren't quite so pressed for time Rovi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Rovi wrote:
    Nuttzy, as I'm sure you'll have gathered by now, you're going to have to either go Hunting or Target Shooting in order to persuade the Gardai to issue you a licence.
    Basically, Hunting requires that you have somewhere and something to hunt, and Target Shooting requires that you're a member of a Club that caters to the discipline for which your desired firearm is suitable.

Under our current (and foreseeable) legislation, "I'd just like one" is not acceptable as a valid reason for the issuing of a Firearm Certificate.

C'mon now Rovi,
    Nuttzy obviously wants to be a rootin shootin cowboy,
    and just needs a shootin iron to match his chaps and ten gallon hat!

He sounds like just the kind of firearms owner we need,
    Riding around on his hoss, twirling his six shooters,
    to impress the wimmin folk!

Yee Haw !!

Nuttzy,
    If you want to play Cowboys good luck to you,
    but, buy some replica firearms to use as accessories,
    for this reason.

Do not buy real firearms!
    Unless you intend to pursue shooting as a sport,
    join a club and get some firearms instruction.

Firearms are not fashion accessories,
    the are tools for specific tasks and need to be treated with respect.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Single action cap and ball pistol, could it ever happen here?
    When reloading comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Hi Nuttzy,

I wont beat you up (verbally) on being lacking knowledge about firearms. But as my buddies on here have pointed out, they are not to be taken lightly. Shooting sports in this country are a minority sport but very professionally run. Despite what joe public thinks, we are not all "John Mc Clanes". It is a serious sport, be it olympic style or IPSC.

Go to a real shoot as spectator or observer and take some mental notes before you decide it's for you. You will soon realise wincheste lever actions or any other firearm for that matter does not sound like the hollywood westerns guns.

Not being patronising you understand, but a little more insight into this sport will work wonders for you.

Cheers

Kryten

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

Saw some replicas in Wexford town last week.
    Lever action rifle E150 and revolver E55(cowboy style)
    Antique/curio shop on Sth Main St.

Advertisement